Frustrated!

Options
Hi All

I started doing MFP and exercising (leslie sansone for 20-30 mins 3-5 times per week) about 4 weeks ago. Wanting to lose 5-10 lbs (1/2 lb per week). My starting weight was 142, then a week later went to 140, then back to 142 last week, and today 143. What is going on? I only work 3 hours a day in the afternoon and am home the rest of the day. Should I try to be more active at home? I do sit on my duff alot when not doing housework. I log my foods (scan them in) don't weigh it. I have been under my calories almost every day. I do have high BP and watch my sodium. Should I not weigh myself weekly? Adjust my goals? I was hoping to reach my goal weight by end of the year. HELP!!!!! Also, how can I share my diary with you all?

TY
Kelly

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Are you weighing and measuring all your foods? Are you being consistent in your logging?
    If you are not losing, you are eating more than you think.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am 5ft 4 inches. I am not weighing/measuring any foods. I don't eat alot of fruit and veggies. I am being as consistent in my logging as I can. I didn't think I was eating more. At least according to MFP I am not.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    I am 5ft 4 inches. I am not weighing/measuring any foods. I am being as consistant in my logging as I can. I didn't think I was eating more. At least according to MFP I am not.

Exactly. You do not know for sure. You have to be consistent to see any results.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I am 5ft 4 inches. I am not weighing/measuring any foods. I am being as consistant in my logging as I can. I didn't think I was eating more. At least according to MFP I am not.

Exactly. You do not know for sure. You have to be consistent to see any results.

agreed. buy some food scales.
  • Poofersgrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I log everyday that I am home. I buy alot of frozen veggies, and processed foods. Can I still measure those? I don't log when I eat out or bring food in because I cannot do it accurately. I also don't log soda or juice, or my coffee. I drink 1 soda per day...if that.I drink at least 3 cups of water per day.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I log everyday that I am home. I don't log when I eat out or bring food in because I cannot do it accurately. I also don't log soda or juice, or my coffee. I drink 1 soda per day...if that.I drink at least 3 cups of water per day.

Juice and soda have calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention is normal when starting an new exercise program. Additionally, sodium and TOM can affect this. It's important with so little to lose, to weigh and measure everything you consume.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Increase your physical activity and get off the couch.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I log everyday that I am home. I buy alot of frozen veggies, and processed foods. Can I still measure those? I don't log when I eat out or bring food in because I cannot do it accurately. I also don't log soda or juice, or my coffee. I drink 1 soda per day...if that.I drink at least 3 cups of water per day.

so how do you know how much frozen veg you're eating?

and definitely log soda and juice, a glass of juice is about 150 cals!
  • shaun603
    Options
    Make sure you drink enough water daily and through the day. 3 cups is not enough. You should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water daily. The scale is the devil when you get down to a certain weight and you can easily fluxuate 1 to 7 lbs of retained water week to week. You need to build good lean muscle mass. There is plenty of home calisthenics you can do that target each muscle group. No excuse for not doing it at least 4 times a week for 45 min to an hour judging by your schedule. Burn some calories, watch your macros, drink water and be consistant.
  • shaun603
    Options
    Also ditch the soda.
  • Poofersgrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you. I will try to drink at least 6 cups per day. 3 at home and 3 at work. I do try to do my leslie sansone walking videos 30 mins each time. Just that I don't have the stamina all the time. How else can I get moving more at home? I do housework, errands etc. I don't have kids. I don't know how much frozen veggies I eat. I really don't snack much anymore, and when I do, it's something healthy. I have been under my calories each day. I also just made my diary public.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Thank you. I will try to drink at least 6 cups per day. 3 at home and 3 at work. I do try to do my leslie sansone walking videos 30 mins each time. Just that I don't have the stamina all the time. How else can I get moving more at home? I do housework, errands etc. I don't have kids. I don't know how much frozen veggies I eat. I really don't snack much anymore, and when I do, it's something healthy. I have been under my calories each day.

Start with the basics, which is your food intake. Once you are consistant in one part everything starts to fall into place. You should also be looking up how much you should be eating in a day. If you are feeling tired, you might not be eating enough overall.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thank you. I will try to drink at least 6 cups per day. 3 at home and 3 at work. I do try to do my leslie sansone walking videos 30 mins each time. Just that I don't have the stamina all the time. How else can I get moving more at home? I do housework, errands etc. I don't have kids. I don't know how much frozen veggies I eat. I really don't snack much anymore, and when I do, it's something healthy. I have been under my calories each day.

you're guessing that you're under your calorie goal each day, but the scales not moving suggests otherwise!
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    according to MFP it says I am under my calorie goal. hmmmmmm. I also made my diary public. (look for poofersgrl) When you say start with food intake, what do you mean exactly? Also how do I find out how much should eat in a day? THis is great info, thank you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thank you. I will try to drink at least 6 cups per day. 3 at home and 3 at work. I do try to do my leslie sansone walking videos 30 mins each time. Just that I don't have the stamina all the time. How else can I get moving more at home? I do housework, errands etc. I don't have kids. I don't know how much frozen veggies I eat. I really don't snack much anymore, and when I do, it's something healthy. I have been under my calories each day. I also just made my diary public.

If you aren't logging everything and aren't weighing your food, then you can't say you're under. The first thing you have to do is be 100% accurate with your diary. Buy a food scale, use it to weigh your food, measure your drinks and log them, and don't forget about condiments/cooking oils as those can add up. All the exercise you choose to do cannot save inaccurate logging.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    according to MFP it says I am under my calorie goal. hmmmmmm. I also made my diary public. (look for poofersgrl) When you say start with food intake, what do you mean exactly? Also how do I find out how much should eat in a day? THis is great info, thank you.

one entry in your diaty is 75g of green beans... if you're not weighing your food, how do you know its 75g? it could be 50g, it could be 200g...
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    yeah the green beans are the frozen variety, so I guess I would cook them, then take whatever amount to the scale and weigh them? Any other tips on my diary? Any help/suggestions are appreciated. TY
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you had a 12oz can of coke each day, that is about 220cals, then an 8oz glass of juice is another 100+ calories, thats over 300 right there that you aren't logging. Everything that enters your mouth, you need to log. Get a food scale, if you want to snack on an apple, weigh the apple. If you cook frozen vegetables, measure/weigh them, there's 60 calories in 2/3 cup bird's eye frozen mixed vegetables without any sauce. So example, you have 1 can of soda, 1 glass of juice, and 2/3 cup of frozen vegetables that you didn't log, that's over 400 calories that you consumed that you didn't take into account. It's very easy to go over your daily limit if you don't track every single thing you put into your mouth.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    yeah the green beans are the frozen variety, so I guess I would cook them, then take whatever amount to the scale and weigh them? Any other tips on my diary? Any help/suggestions are appreciated. TY

your sodium is pretty high on account of all the packaged stuff you eat - i am not a massive 'clean' eater, but you can get a lot more food for your calories if you make stuff yourself.