Frustrated!

Options

Replies

• Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    so a scale like this one? http://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=food+scale.

Also, if I cannot use a food scale (hubby doesn't think I need it) how can I measure food?

Yes agreed on alot of the processed food. What about eating out at restaurants? How do I log that? I am going to try to begin to make my own items, (will start small) and look for low sodium varieties of things. I do try to buy as much low sodium items as much as possible, like chips, beans, veggies etc. Even ketchup. lol Also, how can I increase my activity at home? Besides doing the videos? I have a pedometer that tracks steps and calories.
  • shaun603
    Options
    You need to make sure your macros are in order. Just because you may be under your calories doesn't mean your gonna lose weight. Your getting harped on here a lot about food measuring, blah blah blah. Yeah its important. Especialy if your weight training and getting serious. I know tons of people that arent measuring frozen veggies on a scale and are healthy. In my opinion you should be at 1650 calories a day and broken down to 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats. Thats a good starting point for you. Ditch the sodas and the juices. You get vitamins better from food. Also, to much sodium is bad. It doesn't make you fat, but it does add water retention and has other health risks.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    Thanks Shaun. MFP says 1530...how can I change this? I plan on weening off soda....will go from 1 per day to 3-4 per week and go down from there, and drink either green tea or water. Agree on the sodium, I am going to try to make more home made recipes where I can control the amt of sodium etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    so a scale like this one? http://www.target.com/p/taylor-digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=food+scale.

Also, if I cannot use a food scale (hubby doesn't think I need it) how can I measure food?

Yes agreed on alot of the processed food. What about eating out at restaurants? How do I log that? I am going to try to begin to make my own items, (will start small) and look for low sodium varieties of things. I do try to buy as much low sodium items as much as possible, like chips, beans, veggies etc. Even ketchup. lol Also, how can I increase my activity at home? Besides doing the videos? I have a pedometer that tracks steps and calories.

Chain restaurants almost all have their nutrition info posted online, so you can look it up before you go and decide what you want. If you go to a local place, though, you'll have to estimate exactly what you ate from what's in MFP's database.

Explain to your husband that this is a lifestyle change. Even just using a scale for a few weeks to see what a serving size is will do wonders.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    agree on the sodium. I do try to cut that down as much as possible, buying no sodium/low sodium foods as much as possible. I even exchange regular stuff like tomato sauce for the no salt added one.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    shaun603 wrote: »
    You need to make sure your macros are in order. Just because you may be under your calories doesn't mean your gonna lose weight. Your getting harped on here a lot about food measuring, blah blah blah. Yeah its important. Especialy if your weight training and getting serious. I know tons of people that arent measuring frozen veggies on a scale and are healthy. In my opinion you should be at 1650 calories a day and broken down to 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fats. Thats a good starting point for you. Ditch the sodas and the juices. You get vitamins better from food. Also, to much sodium is bad. It doesn't make you fat, but it does add water retention and has other health risks.

"You need to make sure your macros are in order. Just because you may be under your calories doesn't mean your gonna lose weight. "

Wrong answer. Calorie deficit is completely and utterly where it is at.
  • shaun603
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

So the quality of those calories means nothing?

• shaun603
    Options

MrM27 wrote: »

A little more than just generic advice would be nice. Throwing out a percent of macros distribution doesn't work across the board. Sodas and juices are not the devil. Sodium is a pest if you have HBP, if not, enough hydration takes care of that.

If you are going to criticize us for harping on weighing food at least come in strong either your advice. There's nothing worse than someone criticizing other and then they give sub par advice.

At least I offered something other then just weighing food. I'm not criticizing anybody. How is outlining what a well balanced diet in the proper ratios subpar advice? That's just silly.

• truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    make sure you drink a lot of water and watch your sodium i can go up like 5 lbs or so by just eating something that is really salty.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

For weight loss? Yes, quality means nothing. Of course, for your health it's very important. No one is suggesting that quality be ignored, just that weight loss is only reliant on a deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

When it comes to weightloss, no
  • shaun603
    Options
    Thanks Shaun. MFP says 1530...how can I change this? I plan on weening off soda....will go from 1 per day to 3-4 per week and go down from there, and drink either green tea or water. Agree on the sodium, I am going to try to make more home made recipes where I can control the amt of sodium etc.

That's easy enough. Have a couple eggs in the morning with a serving of oatmeal mixed with berries. Have a banana a couple hours later. Maybe a chicken sandwich and an apple for lunch and so on. Track it and fill up the rest of your calories by snacking on almonds and other nuts during the day. They're rich in good fats and good calorie fillers. Drink enough water and you'll be okay. Then at the end of your day look at your macros and adjust the percentages to create a more balanced diet if needed and soon you'll be where you want to be and you'll be healthy.

• Poofersgrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I drink 3-6 cups of water per day, 1 soda in evening (starting to cut down on that) and green tea. I just logged my meals ( breakfast. lunch and dinner) for the day and already over in sodium...grrrrrr. Still have 400 calories left. I also just did 30 mins of leslie sansone which burned 161 calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

A little more than just generic advice would be nice. Throwing out a percent of macros distribution doesn't work across the board. Sodas and juices are not the devil. Sodium is a pest if you have HBP, if not, enough hydration takes care of that.

If you are going to criticize us for harping on weighing food at least come in strong either your advice. There's nothing worse than someone criticizing other and then they give sub par advice.

At least I offered something other then just weighing food. I'm not criticizing anybody. How is outlining what a well balanced diet in the proper ratios subpar advice? That's just silly.

Yeah... no. Weighing food is because the OP has no idea how much exactly she is eating.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    How can I estimate without weighing. I cannot afford a scale at moment.
  • shaun603
    shaun603 Posts: 75
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How can I estimate without weighing. I cannot afford a scale at moment.

Use this method. It works. You don't need a scale. This will help you with portion sizing.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-handful-diet.html
  • shaun603
    Options
    I drink 3-6 cups of water per day, 1 soda in evening (starting to cut down on that) and green tea. I just logged my meals ( breakfast. lunch and dinner) for the day and already over in sodium...grrrrrr. Still have 400 calories left. I also just did 30 mins of leslie sansone which burned 161 calories.

Nuts, good calorie fillers.

• Poofersgrl
    Options
    can I also use measuring cups to help with my portions of stuff? I hope I am on the right track.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    can I also use measuring cups to help with my portions of stuff? I hope I am on the right track.

I would suggest if you use them to be very precise. I see a lot of people say that what they thought was a tablespoon of peanut butter was much more. But I have measured out a tablespoon and weighed it and it was spot on. You can't heap things, make sure they're leveled off. If it's something like veggies, not a big deal, but for more calorie dense items, don't pack them in. I'd still try to get a scale, they're very inexpensive, you can get one for less than $20.