Thermogenics... what? and how? yes or no?

Options
Hi Guys!

Well, I am working to become a better runner, I run about 5 times a week everywhere from 1.5 to 3 miles depending on the day...Last nite I was talking to a good friend who is also a runner, and I was telling him about how after the first mile I have to stop, take a minute, stretch and so on... he asked me if I have ever used a Thermogenic? I m not even sure if its spelled right! but he explained to me he uses this to burn more calories and have more energy, he also told me he uses something call Hydroxielite, I researched a little last nite, and it seems dangerous~! ... what do you all know about this? is it good for pre workout energy?

Thank you!!!!

P.D. No I am not looking for an easy way out LOL, there is no such a thing, I am more curious about this products and their effects, I google it and it was all over...seems popular!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As I understand it, you should be able to condition your body to run longer/further. Maybe you need to slow down the pace just a little?

I believe the body should be able to go for 45-60 minutes on existing food/energy stores. That for longer runs you need to refuel with carbs & electrolytes, about 100 calories per hour. The running store sells gels/liquids/etc. but I have not tried them out yet.

I'm a beginning/learning runner and have started (this is week 2) training for a half marathon. I'm using intervals of walking followed by running. This week 1 minute/3 minutes. So I'm starting to research how to prepare for the long runs - even though right now my longest run is only 4 miles.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Here is a resource from my local running store.

http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/pal/big-peach-u/dont-be-fuelish
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, you should be able to condition your body to run longer/further. Maybe you need to slow down the pace just a little?

I believe the body should be able to go for 45-60 minutes on existing food/energy stores. That for longer runs you need to refuel with carbs & electrolytes, about 100 calories per hour. The running store sells gels/liquids/etc. but I have not tried them out yet.

I'm a beginning/learning runner and have started (this is week 2) training for a half marathon. I'm using intervals of walking followed by running. This week 1 minute/3 minutes. So I'm starting to research how to prepare for the long runs - even though right now my longest run is only 4 miles.

Just recently I started to run faster, my goal is to reach the "12 minute mile", my husband is a cross country runner, and he can run a mile in 6 to 8 minutes lol! I should probably go back to walk/jog for a little longer, because it seems like every mile, on the dot, I need a little break!

what program are you following?
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I googled/found a 12 week program online. Then modified it LOL. I had 16 weeks til the Feb 8th half so repeated some weeks to push it out. I've worked here & there on running but nothing consistent. I can sometimes go 1-1.5 miles at 5.0mph or so. But sometimes I feel wiped after a few minutes. (Which tells me a) it may be mental or b) it may depend on how/when I've eaten for the day, what else I've done that day, etc.)

I came across a theory of 1 walk/2 run and so started with that last week. My run days are Tue-Wed-Thur-Sat with 'long' run on Sun and off on Mon/Fri. Last week was 3-3-3-3-4. And this week miles are 3-4-3-3-4. Next week my long run will push out to 5.

Last night I did 1 min walk (4.0mph) and 3 min runs (5.0mph). Mentally, knowing I only 'need' to run for 2-3 minutes seems to help. Here & there I'll push a run out though for an extra minute or two, or skip a walk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SWEETMAY84 wrote: »
    Just recently I started to run faster, my goal is to reach the "12 minute mile", my husband is a cross country runner, and he can run a mile in 6 to 8 minutes lol! I should probably go back to walk/jog for a little longer, because it seems like every mile, on the dot, I need a little break!

one thing i realised is that running is 99.99% mental... you are telling yourself you've done a mile so you need a break, so you stop...

work at doing 2 miles at 13 minute mile pace without stopping... then go back to 12 minute miles
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited October 2014
    Options
    http://www.halfmarathons.net/half-marathon-training-schedule-for-beginning-runners/

I just repeated a few weeks to push it out. The schedule off days are perfect for me. I have class on Monday nights & work 2 jobs on Fridays, so those days I'm typically out of the house from 6:30am-10pm. Can be adjusted of course. There is a link there to a 16 week program w/ 3 off days. But I like this schedule.
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options

one thing i realised is that running is 99.99% mental... you are telling yourself you've done a mile so you need a break, so you stop...

work at doing 2 miles at 13 minute mile pace without stopping... then go back to 12 minute miles

This makes total sense! It makes me laugh how I stop, look at my run tracker...1 mile... I am like really?!

Thank you guys!
  • philosophersnark
    Options
    Thermogenics means drugs. They work. Once you're off the weight comes back on. Then you say one more time. Then, because the most effective ones are semi-addictive stimulants, you end up addicted. Simple?
  • philosophersnark
    Options
    Which part is nonsense? The part that's fact?
  • philosophersnark
    Options
    Caffeine, ephedrine, amphetamine. Kill appetite, give you loads of energy increase your metabolic rate. Once you're off the same effects... in reverse.
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options
    Reading about this specific product, it has this thing that the FDA seems to be trying to ban, 1,3 Dimethylamylamine ? (probably killed this one) is that what you refer to addictive? I would use it just because of all the warnings around it...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    in for caffeine being drug
  • philosophersnark
    Options
    Seeing as how ephedrine is illegal and amphetamine requires a prescription for attention problems or narcolepsy, I don't think those two could be in the product. I'd venture caffeine is in there just because it's in virtually every energy boost supplement and accounts for most 'non-placebo' effects. Caffeine is a drug, a mild one at that. High doses will wear you out in no time. Besides, smilar drugs - that is, drugs which increase energy - are invariably stimulants. You can argue this all day, but reality is unless you're a competitive athlete it doesn't make whole lot of sense using pre-workout supplements' You can get a good energy boost by eating a piece of fruit with little bit of protein and oatmeal.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I think this why following a plan like the ones Hal Higdon has on his site work well for a lot of people. That long run is much longer than the shorter runs, and once you've done a 6 mile run, the 3's and 4's don't seem difficult - even if you're pushing your pace. I mean, come on, it's half the distance, amirite?

Oh, and to the other topic, when I took a pharm class many moons ago, caffeine was absolutely classified as a drug.