Hair falling out...!

Options
13»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    APLAWING wrote: »
    My hair is falling out & thinning rapidly (not breaking off because I can tell by my scalp being visible) & I'm starting to get concerned.

I've been on my diet for about 160 days (1200-1400 cals/day, excercising about 40 mins/day, 3 days/week). The good news is that I've lost about 55lbs & am close to my goal weight. I started at 240 & this morning was 185. But for the past month or two I've noticed a LOT of hair loss when I wash my hair, brush my hair, run my hands thru it, etc. It's long, at least halfway down my back. And I know that losing some every time you wash is normal... but this has been handfuls. I eat plenty of veggis & proteins. I feel like I get adequate nutrients from my food. The only thing that I can possibly think of is when I stopped taking biotin. I had been taking Biotin for my nails to be stronger (a B vitamin for hair & nails) and stopped taking it a few months ago because I couldn't tell that it was doing any good. Now my hair is falling out like crazy... I don't know what to do. Any ideas or advice?

You don't need to rush to a doctor. You don't have a thyroid disorder, cancer, or whatever. You're not eating enough calories!!! That amount is hardly going to be enough to sustain any adult body, LET ALONE one working out so much. Also, since you are losing so much weight AND building muscle your protein intake should likely be 90 or more. My hair has been falling out the past few weeks and it's directly proportional to me not eating enough protein.
    What would you say if your advice not to see a doctor caused someone serious health problems?

If they did have some issue and followed your advice and ended up suffering or dead...what would you say?

Would you say, "Well, there was no way for me to know that! It was so unlikely! And why are they listening to me? It's not my fault! I'm not a doctor! I'm not responsible!"

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I would have already been to the doctor. To the point of seeing your scalp? EAT food!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Up your fats, eat less of a deficit since your close to your goal weight, and if it persists visit a doctor.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Rapid weight loss can have an adverse effect.
    Research, read and Dr.
    That's what I'd do
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    APLAWING wrote: »
    My hair is falling out & thinning rapidly (not breaking off because I can tell by my scalp being visible) & I'm starting to get concerned.

I've been on my diet for about 160 days (1200-1400 cals/day, excercising about 40 mins/day, 3 days/week). The good news is that I've lost about 55lbs & am close to my goal weight. I started at 240 & this morning was 185. But for the past month or two I've noticed a LOT of hair loss when I wash my hair, brush my hair, run my hands thru it, etc. It's long, at least halfway down my back. And I know that losing some every time you wash is normal... but this has been handfuls. I eat plenty of veggis & proteins. I feel like I get adequate nutrients from my food. The only thing that I can possibly think of is when I stopped taking biotin. I had been taking Biotin for my nails to be stronger (a B vitamin for hair & nails) and stopped taking it a few months ago because I couldn't tell that it was doing any good. Now my hair is falling out like crazy... I don't know what to do. Any ideas or advice?

You don't need to rush to a doctor. You don't have a thyroid disorder, cancer, or whatever. You're not eating enough calories!!! That amount is hardly going to be enough to sustain any adult body, LET ALONE one working out so much. Also, since you are losing so much weight AND building muscle your protein intake should likely be 90 or more. My hair has been falling out the past few weeks and it's directly proportional to me not eating enough protein.
    What would you say if your advice not to see a doctor caused someone serious health problems?

If they did have some issue and followed your advice and ended up suffering or dead...what would you say?

Would you say, "Well, there was no way for me to know that! It was so unlikely! And why are they listening to me? It's not my fault! I'm not a doctor! I'm not responsible!"

That's being a bit dramatic, isn't it?

If you hear hoofprints...you should think horses, not zebras. As in, the most obvious explanation is usually the correct one.
    OP's hair loss is almost certainly due to inadequate calorie intake, especially inadequate protein and/or fat, and stopping the Biotin supplement. If, after several weeks of increasing caloric intake and restarting the Biotin, OP's hair is still falling out at an alarming rate, then a trip to the Dr. would be warranted.
    Yes, it is a little dramatic.

And yet, the question remains.

If you tell someone they don't have a disease and shouldn't see a doctor, and then it turns out that they did and your advice did great harm, what do you say?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The hoofprints analogy is true... for medical professionals trained in diagnosis. Not for laypeople in the internet.

If anyone has a health concern that worries them, they should see a doctor, not a random person online.