Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    If I breath out while doing my lifts, I lose the tightness and my form goes to crap. I have to wait until a finish the rep and breath inbetween

^^^This^^^^

Any training video I have watched, especially with the squat, has them holding the breathe till the rep is complete. This is to help keep the core tight during the lift.
    Post one. I for one would like to see a legit trainer doing it.

Mark Rippetoe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkeN_fkXrdE

Not a video, but an excerpt from 5/3/1 with Jim Wendler:
    Before the descent, take another breath and go. Keep this air in until you’re about 2/3 of the way back up. Then you can let it out.

Person referred to holding breath till rep was COMPLETED. Haven't seen that endorsed here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Thanks. I suck at breathing during squats.

Same here, when I have over about 260# on, I forget to breath until the rep is over. Too busy concentrating on everything else.
    Gotta work on the kiai bro.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    That's a good idea, I want to put someone to sleep right now anyway.

Honestly, just not sure how I'd comfortably and tightly breathe in during the while staying tight, I'd rather get tight, then go. Coming up underload, you're going to be exhaling anyway.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I have felt a little light headed after heavy squats before. I think it's because I'll hold during multiple reps. If I breath 2-3 times before each rep, I do much better
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Same here, when I have over about 260# on, I forget to breath until the rep is over. Too busy concentrating on everything else.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honestly, just not sure how I'd comfortably and tightly breathe in during the while staying tight, I'd rather get tight, then go. Coming up underload, you're going to be exhaling anyway.
    Alot of people just breathe into their lungs. They don't "bring it down" to their core. In other words when they take a breath, they expand their chest only. Correct intake of breath would involve your abs pushing out FIRST as you breathe in then expand the chest. A short hold of breath at the very hardest execution, then a controlled exhale (again through the abdominals).
    It's something to practice. Kinda like pec flexing.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can do it when I'm constipated and pushing... never thought to apply that skill to my lifting.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can do it when I'm constipated and pushing... never thought to apply that skill to my lifting.

Same basic mechanism, called the Valsalva maneuver.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Ok, learned a lesson. Thanks Niner. I went back to a couple of the popular videos and if you are not paying attention, it looks like they are holding all the way through, they are not.

I did some more research and discovered you are supposed to do a controlled exhale on the way up out of a squat. I was noticing that I was getting light headed sometimes during squats, but felt I was getting enough oxygen so wasn't sure what was going on, I just took more time between reps. Learned that by holding my breathe all the way through the rep is what was causing the issue. By doing that I was temporarily increasing my blood pressure because of intra-thoracic pressure in the chest cavity. Which, can cause cardiovascular challenges. Who knew? Apparently Niner did.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Google "breathe behind the shield" and you'll find some decent info about breathing under tension.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    If I breath out while doing my lifts, I lose the tightness and my form goes to crap. I have to wait until a finish the rep and breath inbetween

^^^This^^^^

Any training video I have watched, especially with the squat, has them holding the breathe till the rep is complete. This is to help keep the core tight during the lift.
    Post one. I for one would like to see a legit trainer doing it.

People that lose form when breathing out aren't creating "intra abdominal pressure" to keep the core tight when squatting, bench pressing, rowing, etc.
    There's a difference in breathing out and just blowing out air and breathing out through the diaphram while keeping your core tight.
    Again, it's something to learn and master. It takes practice, but take a breath in and when you blow out, do it by flexing your core at the same time.

EDIT: One quick note I forgot to mention. Breathing out isn't all at once. With squats lots of people do it through "pursed" lips (which is why some sound like they hiss when they lift).
    Point is, holding your breath through a movement (especially heavy compound movements) isn't recommended.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

THANK YOU! This is one of the reasons my husband and I can't workout together. He's a breath-holder. I attempted a few times to explain to him why it's not a good idea, but he's the "man" and is supposed to know better than I when it comes to lifting weights! Uh, ok. Whatever.

I worked really hard to master the slow steady breathing technique both with cardio and lifting, using my full lung capacity and bringing it down to my core, as you say it, and what a HUGE difference it has made! I've had people at the gym ask me how I do my HIIT, maintain a high intensity and not be gasping for breath (although I'm dripping with sweat) and I've tried to explain, but the couple of people who asked me would rather chat with someone else while they do their cardio, so they didn't understand the concept.

Anyway, thank you for addressing this. IMHO this is a very important, but often overlooked key to cardio and weight training.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, learned a lesson. Thanks Niner. I went back to a couple of the popular videos and if you are not paying attention, it looks like they are holding all the way through, they are not.

I did some more research and discovered you are supposed to do a controlled exhale on the way up out of a squat. I was noticing that I was getting light headed sometimes during squats, but felt I was getting enough oxygen so wasn't sure what was going on, I just took more time between reps. Learned that by holding my breathe all the way through the rep is what was causing the issue. By doing that I was temporarily increasing my blood pressure because of intra-thoracic pressure in the chest cavity. Which, can cause cardiovascular challenges. Who knew? Apparently Niner did.
    Glad I could help. While for some it seems a trivial step, breathing correctly while exercising does have an effect on endurance and cardiovascular health.
    There's even a technique I tell my people when doing burpees. For every movement, do a short blow out. They definitely aren't as winded at the end.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A short hold of breath at the very hardest execution, then a controlled exhale (again through the abdominals).

I prefer this explanation, rather than the oversimplified "exhale on the harder phase" that's often mentioned. Exhaling shrinks the size of the abdominal cavity, and it's harder for the surrounding muscles to maintain proper tension while they're changing size & shape, which makes it riskier for the back. That has to be weighed against the possible risks of the valsalva manuever (passing out, burst blood vessels in eyes, torn aorta, etc). In a nutshell, holding breath is easier on the back, exhaling is easier on the rest of the body. For newbies, it's good to learn to "bleed" the air out on the exertion, and if valsalva is needed during maximal efforts, do it as briefly as possible to minimize risks (but avoid it altogether if you have heart or vascular issues, retinal issues, etc, unless your doctor gives you the ok).

• ninerbuff
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I always hold my breath on squats until I'm 2/3 of the way up. I also try and do at least the first three reps of bench and press with breath held.

Keeps things tight.
    Haven't mastered how to keep it tight while still breathing then. Something to work on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, I just prefer using the Valsalva manoeuvre for the first few reps, then it's in and out on concentric and eccentric.

It's used and coached by a lot of people. Schwarzenegger stated that it doesn't matter how you breathe, Rippetoe recommends tension in the squat until most of the way up, Wendler holding breath for the first three or so reps, and so on.

Different strokes (and no, doing Vaslava properly will not give you one) for different folks.
    From Wendler's 5-3-1 squat instruction:
    "Before the descent, take another breath and go. Keep this air in until you’re about 2/3 of the way back up. Then you can let it out. I’ve taught myself to hold my breath for 3 reps, but this is very difficult and I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone."

http://squatform.com/jim-wendler-squat-tips-from-5-3-1/

Schwarzenegger believed in big deep breaths especially when training chest and back.

But, people will do what they think works for them. I've given precise and correct information when it comes to breathing technique with lifting which is confirmed by just about any fitness organization and respected trainers in the industry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i hold my breath the entire lift. Big air at the bottom, hold until i'm done with the lift. you can hurt yourself with loss of core pressure if you exhale while under the pressure of heavy weights. i will maybe let out a little air after the sticking point if its very heavy, but generally i hold my breath until the lift is finished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i hold my breath the entire lift. Big air at the bottom, hold until i'm done with the lift. you can hurt yourself with loss of core pressure if you exhale while under the pressure of heavy weights. i will maybe let out a little air after the sticking point if its very heavy, but generally i hold my breath until the lift is finished.

Could it be basic for power lifting technique? I can see an advantage, however most people aren't going for doubles or singles when they workout. In general people are trying to work in the rep range of 5-15 repetitions and that takes up to a minute to do, whereas you're speaking of possible 5 seconds max for 1 rep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SonyaCele
    Options

Could it be basic for power lifting technique? I can see an advantage, however most people aren't going for doubles or singles when they workout. In general people are trying to work in the rep range of 5-15 repetitions and that takes up to a minute to do, whereas you're speaking of possible 5 seconds max for 1 rep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

whether i'm max repping a power lift, or doing sets, breathing is pretty automatic for me, But If its heavy absolutely HAVE to hold my breath for the whole rep. The only time i will let out before locking out is if its a super slow lift and i need air, but then i usually fail that rep. If its a warmup set , i'll might hold my breath for a few reps, reset and take another breath do a few more. If its a heavy accessory set of 8 or 12, i just breath in rhythm with the reps ... mostly holding my breath for the rep and reset rebreath after each rep, Or quick inhale on the way down and letting out controlled on the way up after the sticking point. It all just depends on the weight and my power for that set. But the heavier the set the more i hold my breath in for the tightest possible core.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

whether i'm max repping a power lift, or doing sets, breathing is pretty automatic for me, But If its heavy absolutely HAVE to hold my breath for the whole rep. The only time i will let out before locking out is if its a super slow lift and i need air, but then i usually fail that rep. If its a warmup set , i'll might hold my breath for a few reps, reset and take another breath do a few more. If its a heavy accessory set of 8 or 12, i just breath in rhythm with the reps ... mostly holding my breath for the rep and reset rebreath after each rep, Or quick inhale on the way down and letting out controlled on the way up after the sticking point. It all just depends on the weight and my power for that set. But the heavier the set the more i hold my breath in for the tightest possible core.
    Noted. Essentially, it's not disputed that when lifting weights that are challenging, blood pressure rises to more than double for many people. And holding one's breath while doing that can cause fainting and dizziness. It's important for people to breathe correctly and in many other types of exercising programs (swimming, running, martial arts, etc) it's encouraged for optimal performance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It's general weightlifting technique as well (I'm talking olympic lifts and said squatting practice for such lifts) to hold as much of your breathe as possible on the way up, exhaling a bit at the sticking point if you must but very controlled. I am a PL'er and WL'er and in neither case do we exhale on the way up except a little here and there to push through a tough spot or at the very top. From Catlayst Athletics (very legit trainers in the sport of weightlifting): "Pressurization should be maintained throughout as much of the movement as possible...If dizziness or light-headedness occurs during lifts, the athlete should release a small amount of air during the highest-pressure or highest-effort moment of the lift (e.g. the sticking point of the squat) by making some noise. This will release some pressure and prevent dizziness while maintaining trunk stability. Some athletes will be more comfortable, and even feel stronger, making a habit of always releasing air with noise during the recovery of the squat, as long as the release is controlled and minimal. If dizziness is considerable, it is always advised that the athlete drop the bar immediately and sit down safely to recover...The effect of torso pressurization can be demonstrated easily with a new lifter with nothing more than un-weighted squats. The athlete can pressurize the torso properly and perform a few squats, utilizing the bounce to recover. Following this, the athlete will expel as much air as possible, and squat again with the bounce. Invariably the difference is dramatic enough to immediately elicit some kind of exclamation from the athlete." http://www.catalystathletics.com/article/37/Breathing-and-Breath-Control-for-Olympic-Weightlifting/

I agree with Sonya about squatting heavy, too. In powerlifting, I have NEVER been coached to expel air on the way up from the bottom as a general practice except in a situation to get through a sticking point with a small expulsion and vocalization...I maintain that until I am almost done with the lift.

Wendler doesn't say you SHOULD let it out at 2/3. He says you CAN (if you want to or have to). Maybe you don't need to if the weight isn't that heavy. I figure, do what works best for you. Hopefully one squats with enough weight and volume to dial these things in over time.

My personal inference from all of this is that people who are really good at squatting and who do it a LOT and heavy--those folks stay pressurized through most of the upward drive of the lift. The rest of the people who do it for fun in the gym are probably exhaling because it's easier than learning the Valsalva Maneuver and they are working with lighter weights. As a trainer, it's easier to teach someone to exhale and as a lifter, it's easier to learn. However, if you want to take it to the next level, I highly suggest one learns the VM.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    I think anyone can hold their breath the duration of a rep without getting dizzy. If you start out learning to do this from the beginning, your body will get the rhythm down, and as you add weight you'll be fine. Practice it at home with just body weight movements. TAke a deep breath and pressurize your core and then do a bodyweight squat or deadlift or something. See how it feels with different amounts of pressure in your core. If you get dizzy, ease off the pressure but keep working at it as you add weight to build up max pressure, your body will get accustomed to it, its all about training your body and mind. I would never suggest anyone exhale on the way up, that's a great opportunity for an injury.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The only time I breathe out during a lift is if I've got the sticking point like's been mentioned above. Other than that I hold until the rep is complete. Few quick breaths then repeat.
    I learned diaphragm control during my bagpiping days. Most singers learn it too and some wind instruments. It's pulling the air down deep into the belly and holding it.