Lose More Weight or Begin Strength Training?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    My personal feeling is given the (false) choice between losing weight and gaining strength, go with gaining strength.

Is there a reason why one can't lose weight and gain strength though CNS adaptation?

Yes, CNS adaptation is part of what you are training in heavy lifting but there is a limit so you need to add to muscle fibre thickness as well.

Remember, we are having this discussion in the context of the OP's situation. Not really a technical/theoretical discussion. Although I agree on what you have said
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The good news is: You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time!

This is only possible for people who have lots of fat to lose and very little muscle, and as a bonus developing regular exercise habits will help you keep the fat off and raise your metabolic rate.

You saying OP has a lot of fat to lose. Can you show me from where?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...resistance training should be a part of any functional fitness regimen regardless of how much you weigh. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

^^^ This....start today!
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I started body beast 8 weeks ago. I was doing other strength training before but not as much as what body beast does. I have still lost 6 lbs during this time...(on a slight deficit) and "look" like I have lost a lot more than that. I love what body beast has done to my body. I have 4 more weeks, but I might do another full round or mix in yoga once a week.
  • tsalagi82
    tsalagi82 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    mrscapri77 wrote: »
    I started body beast 8 weeks ago. I was doing other strength training before but not as much as what body beast does. I have still lost 6 lbs during this time...(on a slight deficit) and "look" like I have lost a lot more than that. I love what body beast has done to my body. I have 4 more weeks, but I might do another full round or mix in yoga once a week.

I can't wait to get started! My body is the size I want, just not the look I want (toned and firm vs. what it looks like now - hah!).
  • tsalagi82
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My personal feeling is given the (false) choice between losing weight and gaining strength, go with gaining strength.

Is there a reason why one can't lose weight and gain strength though CNS adaptation?

Unless you're still in the beginner stages of your weight lifting that doesn't work so well; at least that's been my experience.

Isn't the OP a beginner?

No, I just finished a program that was about 2 months long. Haven't worked out in about 2-3 weeks since though.

• tsalagi82
    Options
    tsalagi82 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Unless you're still in the beginner stages of your weight lifting that doesn't work so well; at least that's been my experience.

Isn't the OP a beginner?

No, I just finished a program that was about 2 months long. Haven't worked out in about 2-3 weeks since though.

Forgot to mention it was equally strength + cardio.