One big mac from McDonald's contains less calories then 1 sub from Subway

Options
Wait did I read this right?? Appatently so. How is that even possible? Here I thought choosing subway as an alternative for when I'm in a rush on the go was a healthier alternative but I guess not. I haven't had any fast food except for subway in over a year now. What would you describe as a healthier alternative for when you're in a rush and don't get the time to pack something on the go?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's all about what fits your calories and macros and, really, whet you feel like. I find the Subway more satisfying. And it depends what you get on your Sub and what size, just because it's Subway doesn't mean it's automatically lower calories, you can build yourself a pretty high calories Sub if you try.

Also, if you're talking a footlong, of course it is more - it's like 3 times the size of a BigMac.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would choose McDonalds for fast food. Lots of healthy options.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    McDonald's because their grilled chicken Mc wraps have awesome macros and taste delicious. ♡.♡
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Depends on what you get at Subway.

A Big Mac with standard toppings is 550 calories.

At Subway, you could get a 6 inch turkey breast on wheat with lots of veggies and no cheese, mayo or oil for around 300 calories. Or you could get a footlong chicken, bacon, and ranch for about 1,000 calories.

There's choices to be made everywhere. It's not accurate to compare one menu item from one place to the entire menu from another.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the sub. Same as anything. For that matter, you can make a salad that has more cals than a BigMac. Just add cheese, meat, and a ton of dressing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    Lol, the past few days I've been slamming down the Jalepeno Double.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can be the Jared of McDonalds
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    johnnyr24 wrote: »
    Wait did I read this right?? Appatently so. How is that even possible? Here I thought choosing subway as an alternative for when I'm in a rush on the go was a healthier alternative but I guess not. I haven't had any fast food except for subway in over a year now. What would you describe as a healthier alternative for when you're in a rush and don't get the time to pack something on the go?

As long as you don't eat the fries, McDonald's isn't completely terrible.

• wikpix
    wikpix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Subway is my go to as well if I'm out and about and need to grab something quick but obviously too much of anything can be a bad thing and there are items on the subway menu that would easily add a load of unnecessary calories and fat (i'm thinking 12" meatball sub with cheese) but if you make careful, considered choices (such as lean chicken or turkey) and stick to the 6 inch subs that come in at under 500 cals then I think you are on the right track and I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this once in a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

For one thing, you're confusing "healthy" with caloric density. There are a lot of things that are high in calories but also very rich in nutrition and "healthy"...conversely, there are any number of things with very few calories and also very little in the way of actual nutrients.

Also, it really depends on the sub I would imagine...a foot long is obviously going to have a lot more calories...lots more bread. Then of course you have caloric dense things like cheese, mayo, oil, etc. But you can also pack those subs full of lean protein and veggies.

I'm personally not a fan of McDonald's and would take Sub-Way any day over McDonald's...but I haven't eaten at a McDonald's in over a decade, so there's that. Really, I would look for a Wendy's though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a younger relative who eats at Subway often and frequently says she goes there because it is "So much healthier" than McDonalds. She has a footlong meatball with cheese, on cheese bread.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Oh sure, that's just the normal Big Mac. You need to try the monster mac. two patties? pffft.

8 bro. 8.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mcdonalds-mcgangbang.jpg

McGangBang - Yum!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    At subway a lot of it depends what YOU put on it.. A big mac has 530 and 24 grams of protein calories and that includes, Now sing along with me, two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun (big mac!)

A six inch Subway club is 310 calories and 23 grams of protein and includes: Roast beef, turkey, ham, 9-Grain Wheat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and cucumbers.... Of course for extra calories you can add oil, mayo and cheese.

For me, the subway club sounds like the smarter choice... About the same "fullness factor" the same protein and 220 fewer calories.

Of course, there are many options at subway with MORE calories.. and there are ways to eat at McDonald's for fewer calories.. Both of their full menus are available online.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Dude... it depends on what's in it. I could make you a plate full of "healthy" foods that would have more calories than a big mac. That doesn't mean the better option is automatically the big mac.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, the past few days I've been slamming down the Jalepeno Double.

Me, too <3 Love that Jalapeno Double. 430 calories of awesome. I guess it depends on individual taste, but I think Subway tastes like sadness. It's just, meh to me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

As long as you don't eat the fries, McDonald's isn't completely terrible.

Whaaaat! I do what I want :p I ate some of those yesterday, too. Moderation is okay, you know. I just don't do it EVERY day (although some of us with bigger calorie allowances certainly can), and I make darn sure the macros fit for the day (or close enough).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    McDonald's because their grilled chicken Mc wraps have awesome macros and taste delicious. ♡.♡

Probably irrelevant, but my kids love the grilled chicken ranch snack wraps at McDonalds. That, a fruit and yogurt parfait and milk!!! Makes me feel moderately virtuous about the drive through, lol.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Probably irrelevant, but my kids love the grilled chicken ranch snack wraps at McDonalds. That, a fruit and yogurt parfait and milk!!! Makes me feel moderately virtuous about the drive through, lol.

Sounds like a yummy well-rounded meal as far as on the go is concerned! :smiley:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Sounds like a yummy well-rounded meal as far as on the go is concerned! :smiley:

That is what I like to tell myself! With four kids ages 9, 11, 12 and 14 and various activities, I am happy to find a week we only hit the drive through once tbh.