Who has lost weight with little or no exercise?

Options
I think people just starting out get the wrong idea that to lose weight, you have to hit the gym every single day for hours at a time and only eat lettuce and carrots. And the second you don't, you've failed. Time to binge eat!

I think it's important they see that yes, diet and exercise is important but even if you have a super busy schedule and you're trying to hit the gym (or you have a serious disability), if you can't or don't have time. It's ok. Fix your diet and you're most of the way there.

I'll start! I don't get much exercise outside of work besides going on walks and I've already lost more than 30lbs

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I lost 11.5lbs in August (my first month using MFP).
    I didnt join the gym until 1st September, so that 11.5lbs was all down to changing my eating habbits
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Although Im sure some of this was water weight
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight without exercising, sometimes my schedule or injuries get in the way. After a couple of weeks I eventually hit a plateau.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I lifted...which is exercise. But I definitely did very little cardio.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker, and that mostly consists of what is required to transport myself from one building to another on my campus. Other than that, my workouts consist of a whopping 30 minutes 4 times a week. Calisthenics only (pushups, pull ups, body weight squats, etc.).

That's it. I'm too busy (okay, lazy and cheap) to do the gym thing. My doctor, my body measurements, and my scale agree that I'm doing it right.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My momma has lost over 50lbs with zero exercise.

As for myself, I walk at 4mph for a minimum of 30 minutes each day.
  • dawsonjd
    Options
    i believe you can lose weight without exercise, but for me I want to eat more cause i love meat, so i prefer to create my caloric deficit with exercise. I think it depends on your body, if your plan is to be sub 10%bf and you want to look like a athlete then obviously you would want to workout... i guess it really depends on your goals, but when its all said and done, caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight how ever you come about it.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    After water weight, I've lost 6lbs this month alone. That is with counting calories and 10-15mins total of recumbent bike and elliptical. (both of which I bought new for under 200 bucks combined) I'm stoked!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs just restricting and tracking on MFP with maaaaybe an occasional half-arsed jog thrown in about two years ago.

Gained it all back and then some, so now I'm working towards a lifestyle change, with runs three to four times a week and StrongLifts every other day along with a healthier, cleaner diet. Thus far I've discovered the joy of eating exercise calories which is awesome 'cause I love food!
  • dawsonjd
    dawsonjd Posts: 27
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I lost 20lbs just restricting and tracking on MFP with maaaaybe an occasional half-arsed jog thrown in about two years ago.

Gained it all back and then some, so now I'm working towards a lifestyle change, with runs three to four times a week and StrongLifts every other day along with a healthier, cleaner diet. Thus far I've discovered the joy of eating exercise calories which is awesome 'cause I love food!
    props to you, it sounds like your doing things the right way....i use to drink beer all the time and fast food was my drug....now its the gym, i still miss Mexican food and chicken wings but i love the gym so much more.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6kgs (13lbs) in just over a month doing alternate day fasting. Zero exercise
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've regained some weight, but when I first actively trying to lose, I exercised every day for about 3-4 months and lost 10lbs during that time. When I started consistently tracking my food and eating about 1500-1700 cal a day (plus some "off" days) I lost about 17lbs in a month.
  • osoperezoso
    osoperezoso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 pounds this year (20 since June 1st) with only occasional exercise. Its very reassuring to know that my weight isn't dependent on maintaining a good gym regimen.

That being said, having just today gotten to a sub 25 BMI today (Male, 5'8", 164lbs), I was taking a look in the mirror and thinking I really need to start hitting the weights.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds in 3 months from cutting back on calories. I'm minimally active.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I lifted...which is exercise. But I definitely did very little cardio.

2nd
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I play badminton twice a week, 2 hours each time. Other then that, nothing so far. Have lost 40 lbs.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've lost around 50lbs without going to the gym. I work 8 hours a day then go to school for 5 hours a night. I'm away from my apartment M-F from 8am-11pm. If I tried to exercise on top of it, I would probably have a mental breakdown. Scientifically speaking, your weight is DIRECTLY a result of the number of calories you burn vs. eat on an average basis. Yes, the foods you eat are important: you need a healthy balance of fat, carbs and protein tailored to your lifestyle for health, BUT you can technically eat only pure table sugar in a caloric deficit and lose weight. You'd feel terrible and look gross. . . but you could. Just don't.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I will lose 67lbs by just watching what I eat!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It can be done without extra exercise, I work as a school custodian so I'm pretty active at work, but aside from a walk occasionally, not much else. I lost 30 pounds since March and reached my goal Labor day
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs in 6 months. I don't do anything really. I have a desk job, I'd be lucky to do 1000 steps most days. I ride my horse on the weekend for a couple of hours. I do 2 flights of stairs morning and night at work. My fitness is not bad, my muscle tone is fine.

It really is all about what you stick in your mouth, no question.

Exercise will a) make you fitter and stronger and tone you up, and b) allow you to eat more, but it's not neccessary to actual weight loss.

Gotta laugh at the people who work out at the Gym 6 days a week, eat rubbish, and wonder why it's not working.