Not Losing Weight

Options
I am eating just under my 1270 recommended calories, not feeling hungry by choosing filling foods and avoiding any high sugar foods (E.g. no more desserts or hot chocolate etc...). Making my own lunches. I have added in an hour power walk (3.0-3.5mph aim) everyday since Monday. However I have been the same weight of 91.4kg for seven days now. Any advice? Thank you.

Replies

• eepeter
    eepeter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hehe. For the last seven days my net calories is 1315 over...which I suppose is nearly a day itself. And given I have never power walked for that length of time it could be muscles building, or the muscles retaining water to repair. Otherwise I am not sure.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. The only reasons to not lose weight are either0
    1. you're overestimating the number of calories you burn each day
    2. underestimating the number of calories you consume each day
    3. or you're retaining enough water to temporarily obscure the amount you're losing.

For #1, check your numbers and make sure you calculated your daily burn correctly. Also, check your exercise calories...are you using MFP's estimates (which are often too high) or a heart rate monitor or a gym machine's estimates?

For #2, are you weighing and recording everything, or just guessing the amounts and eyeballing portions? Are you recording all of it, even snacks, tastes while cooking, condiments, etc.?

For #3, have you changed your workout routine in the last month, even by increasing the intensity? Have you eaten things with more sodium? More carbs? Your body will retain water, sometimes significant amounts, for many reasons including muscle repair after workouts, increased sodium or carbohydrates, or normal hormonal fluctuations.

Have you tried measuring with a measuring tape? How about progress photos? Often, those things are way more telling than the scale. You can weigh exactly the same thing and look completely different after following a good program.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    So how long have you been at this? Do you log regularly? If you don't weigh your food you need to start. Eyeballing and measuring cups don't cut it. Also, MFP overestimated calories burned for exercises, you should probably only eat back about 50%-75% of the calories it estimates you burn.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Also, it's only been 7 days...
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. The only reasons to not lose weight are either0
    1. you're overestimating the number of calories you burn each day
    2. underestimating the number of calories you consume each day
    3. or you're retaining enough water to temporarily obscure the amount you're losing.

For #1, check your numbers and make sure you calculated your daily burn correctly. Also, check your exercise calories...are you using MFP's estimates (which are often too high) or a heart rate monitor or a gym machine's estimates?

For #2, are you weighing and recording everything, or just guessing the amounts and eyeballing portions? Are you recording all of it, even snacks, tastes while cooking, condiments, etc.?

For #3, have you changed your workout routine in the last month, even by increasing the intensity? Have you eaten things with more sodium? More carbs? Your body will retain water, sometimes significant amounts, for many reasons including muscle repair after workouts, increased sodium or carbohydrates, or normal hormonal fluctuations.

Have you tried measuring with a measuring tape? How about progress photos? Often, those things are way more telling than the scale. You can weigh exactly the same thing and look completely different after following a good program.

Yes all of this /\
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add, you haven't mentioned your current stats, but unless you're very, very short, 1270 is not a good calorie goal for you. I eat way more than that and I'm a 5' 3 1/2" female who only needs to lose 20 lbs. For example, I eat around 1500 on lazy days, up to 1850 on more active days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are a male and that's all you're eating??? What are your stats?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I advise adding at least 500 calories to your daily consumption. Although maybe a daily total of 2000 might be smarter still. But i'm just guessing based on my own experience.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Eating too much. There is no other explanation.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since you are a guy @ 200 lbs, there is no reason to eat so few calories. You will not be able to get enough nutrients for your body and definitely would be able to get enough protein which could cause you to lose more muscle than you would probably like. How tall are you and do you exercise? If you do exercise, did you just start? Also, can you unlock your diary? And do you use a food scale?

Also, seven days is not long enough to see if something is working or not.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Up your calories to a sensible amount, log everything, give it longer than 7 days.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Yes there is.. it's called water retention.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    eepeter wrote: »
    I am eating just under my 1270 recommended calories, not feeling hungry by choosing filling foods and avoiding any high sugar foods (E.g. no more desserts or hot chocolate etc...). Making my own lunches. I have added in an hour power walk (3.0-3.5mph aim) everyday since Monday. However I have been the same weight of 91.4kg for seven days now. Any advice? Thank you.
    You're inhibiting your own progress with so little food intake.
    Try just losing 1 pound per week. Follow the MFP recommendations for
    steady, safe and lasting results. When we crash diet and lose weight too fast, our metabolism can stifle. Yes, you'll lose weight, but what kind of loss will it be?
    You'll lose too much muscle which further slows metabolism. and once you finally reach your weight goal...guess what? You look and feel bad, and the weight starts piling back on in most cases. Don't be that person.
    Remember, this is not a race.
    GOOD LUCK!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1. you are not eating enough
    2. you need to get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything
    3. if you are not losing right now it is either water retention or inaccurate logging
    4. it has only been seven days.it usually takes your body about two to three weeks to adapt to any change….
  • eldamiano
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Temporary explanation for fluctations happening over a day or two. The body doesnt hold on to water for a week due to a bit of walking.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Temporary explanation for fluctations happening over a day or two. The body doesnt hold on to water for a week due to a bit of walking.

Water weight fluctuations occur daily. It's not a one time thing and it goes away. Other fluctuations from carb level, sodium intake or even hormones can provide similar affects. I weigh myself daily and I range from 182-185 depending on the day. It's ridiculous to suggest a male who is 200 lbs is eating too much at 1200 calories without even getting any information or being able to see their food diary.
  • eldamiano
    Options

Water weight fluctuations occur daily. It's not a one time thing and it goes away. Other fluctuations from carb level, sodium intake or even hormones can provide similar affects. I weigh myself daily and I range from 182-185 depending on the day. It's ridiculous to suggest a male who is 200 lbs is eating too much at 1200 calories without even getting any information or being able to see their food diary.

It isnt ridiculous at all. What it says on a diary is irrelevant. I can put anything on a diary. If the person isnt losing weight, then they arent eating at a calorie deficit
  • psuLemon
    Options

It isnt ridiculous at all. What it says on a diary is irrelevant. I can put anything on a diary. If the person isnt losing weight, then they arent eating at a calorie deficit

And I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact it's been 7 days and water weight alone can mask fat loss.
  • eepeter
    eepeter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have made my diary public for now. I like to weigh every morning, which I know is wrong. And the scales I use can vary depending on where I position them which is annoying.

Every Sunday at the same time I am going to Boots Pharmacy for a 70p weight in, which measures height/weight/body fat and BMI. MFP said 1470 when I first began, now it says 1270 which confused me but they suggested it was because their formula for calculating has now changed.

I am 5ft 8inch (178 cm), started at 100kg (But I never used MFP then). I measure all food, watch my protein intake and eat over at least once a week.

I have been on this course to weigh loss with life changes, since after I hit 27 birthday in August, I think around 16th September when I weighed in at 99.8kg. I had enough....and here I am now...

Surprisingly I have not found this hard. The biggest change for me was to remove eating as an activity (Meeting with friends for lunch, avoiding buffets and little to no fast food). Currently on a 30 day no Chinese personal challenge.