Cardio vs Strength Training for Beginners

Options
2»

Replies

• Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. Thank you all for your advice!
    So, if I buy some dumbbells and kettle bells and begin with some routines at home, and then as I get stronger, I will get a gym membership and boldly go where few women will go - the weight room! :smile: Does that sound good?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Well, I havn't gone full out with the weights, no money to buy my own set, no childcare to use the gym ( hoping that changes soon). I started with Walk at Home videos, then graduated to Jillian Michaels for Beginners. The JM routine combines cardio intervals with bodyweight exercises and dumbells ( I started with 5s and 8s, and plan to increase when ever money frees up to buy more). I love this video, I feel stronger my endurance has increased, and it has helped me lose fat more evenly ( at least I think so).

Oh, and by the way new friend, I'm 5'4"
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »

Oh, and by the way new friend, I'm 5'4"

Meeeee tooooo! :astonished: Haha.
    Thank you so much for the advice too. I have hear a lot about JM. @stuffinmuffin suggested the 30 day shred. But I think I will build up to that one. Thanks again!! :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    They should be balanced from the beginning.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    I always assumed that weights and strength training were for bulking up and toning up and would not be able to assist with weight loss.. But I have been researching after seeing the success stories on MFP, and I can see that it is about fat loss, not weight loss.

I am very excited about it now, and I will be buying some stuff this weekend. Thank you all! You've been so helpful :smile:

Can we stamp this somewhere on MFP?

Kudos OP for being able to sift through the mess of misinformation the forums can be to pull this piece of gold out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always assumed that weights and strength training were for bulking up and toning up and would not be able to assist with weight loss.. But I have been researching after seeing the success stories on MFP, and I can see that it is about fat loss, not weight loss.

I am very excited about it now, and I will be buying some stuff this weekend. Thank you all! You've been so helpful :smile:

Your weight loss is largely going to be attributable to your consumption...exercise is for fitness (and yes, it does increase your body's energy requirements). A well rounded fitness regimen is going to include elements of both cardiovascular work (weight lifting for your heart) and resistance training.

The benefit of resistance training at any stage is that it is going to help you maintain what muscle you have. Ultimately, resistance training can have any number of goals attributable to it...not just bulking up. I'm in maintenance and have been lifting for over two years...I don't lift to bulk up...I lift to be strong, keep my body solid, keep my bone strength up, tendons, etc.

nerdfitness is a great place to start. When I started out a couple of years ago on my little safari towards a better me I primarily walked/ran and did body weight work. I did nothing but body weight resistance training for a good 6 months or so before I decided I really wanted to get back into the weight room and lifting again.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. Thank you all for your advice!
    So, if I buy some dumbbells and kettle bells and begin with some routines at home, and then as I get stronger, I will get a gym membership and boldly go where few women will go - the weight room! :smile: Does that sound good?

That sounds great...but you're likely to be surprised at how many women are in the weight room...the ratio of men to women at my gym in the weight room is about 50/50.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    por que no los dos?
  • Local_Atlantis
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Can we stamp this somewhere on MFP?

Kudos OP for being able to sift through the mess of misinformation the forums can be to pull this piece of gold out.

Thank you... I am blushing!! :blush: Haha.
    And thank you, @cwolfman13 for the advice too. Realistically, I don't think I will be in the weight room for a looong time! But it is definitely a goal to work towards. I have my eye on a dumbbell and kettlebell sets on ebay which I will buy over the weekend. In order to build myself up to this, I will do body weight and resistance stuff in the mean time. I'm looking at ankle weights for when I do my walking too. Good idea?