How am I going to survive Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas on 1,200 calories a day?

Options
I AM A HUGE CHOCOholic. I just recently started this 1200 calorie diet and I really want to dedicate myself to this. But if I even see halloween candy I WILL EAT IT! I can't help it. Anyone have some helpful advice? I have to hand out candy to the neighborhood kids, but I'm afraid I will sit there and eat the candy. I did last year. And isn't Thanksgiving..... isn't the purpose to EAT EAT AND EAT SOME MORE?!?!?!? I think Xmas might be a little easier cause there is SO much going on. But I'm am really just concerned about tomorrow and the days after with left over candy. Just thinking about all those little mini chocolatey wonderfulness I am going insane. nom nom nom nom AH! I need help.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Why would you be at 1200 calories?

You should check out what your rmr is.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    The foods are all different for those occasions but nowhere does it say you have to overeat them. I guess that's up to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You do understand that when you workout you get to eat more right?

Also, nobody became fat because of a holiday or special occasion...people get fat when they treat everyday like a holiday or special occasion. When I was losing I just took those days off and enjoyed myself...also, you don't have to stuff yourself until your pants are coming unbuttoned...probably a good idea to learn how to break that habit...just eat and enjoy and enjoy the time with your family and friends and appreciate all the good things in life....

Look at the bigger picture...in the grand scheme of things, those days are pretty much irrelevant to the whole.

By the way...those holidays and special occasions don't go away...you have to learn how to manage them for the rest of your life...and really, they're no big deal. I always overeat on the holidays and I still lost all of my weight and I've still been maintaining my weight for over a year and a half now...
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I tried to buy candy that the kids like but that I don't like...or even better that I'm allergic to. It makes it easier for me to stay away. But, today I packed a mini bag of M&Ms in my lunch and made it work with 1200. I do eat back most of my exercise, so that helps.

Thanksgiving is just one day, so I'm not too concerned. I'll just make sure that I don't have tons of leftovers in my house...I'll try to send as many as I can home with my parents.

Christmas...I haven't come up with a game plan for that. I do know that I'm planning an advent calendar for the kids of activities to do each night...and I'm making sure that some of them are outdoors and physical.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I thought thanksgiving was about being thankful about the pilgrims and Indians or something like that... when did it become about eating and eating and eating?

Btw, there's nothing wrong with eating candy and food IN MODERATION. You have to learn to have self control and not binge. Maybe you're eating too little calories as well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I thought thanksgiving was about being thankful about the pilgrims and Indians or something like that... when did it become about eating and eating and eating?

Btw, there's nothing wrong with eating candy and food IN MODERATION. You have to learn to have self control and not binge. Maybe you're eating too little calories as well.
    I'm sorry but that's just to funny.

And it is about the feast that the story says the Pilgrims and Indians shared as well......
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

I'm sorry but that's just to funny.

And it is about the feast that the story says the Pilgrims and Indians shared as well......

Someone must have been absent from class that day.

Sharing... not binging. :laugh:

But what do I know? I've never celebrated a thanksgiving in my life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, that's what you get when you force yourself to be at 1200 calories. And for the record, it's an occasion, go eat, doesn't mean you have to eat 10,000 calories. You need to live your life.

This^

I look at it like this....1,200 calories is a diet. A diet is temporary, a project if you will. 1,200 calories is not very much like your future maintenance calories. So at maintenance you will have to figure out how to live your life and keep weight from coming back.

What many MFP users do instead is "eat more to lose weight." They choose a moderate weight loss goal, with calories that leave room for occasional treats. This way they get to live their lives and lose weight. Calorie goals closer to your future maintenance helps you sustain weight loss.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,545 Member
    Options
    Self-control.

I've had about 8lbs of candy in the house for two weeks now, to hand out to the kids on Halloween. Not only have I not eaten any of it, but I seldom even think about it and don't really want it at all.

However, if you do truly want to eat it, just practice moderation.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    How am I going to survive Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas on 1,200 calories a day?

3/365 days. I think you'll survive...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

3/365 days. I think you'll survive...

perspective means everything.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Someone once told me.... it is a holiDAY.... just one day. Eating on one day wont kill all of your progress.... It is when Christmas DAY turns into 2 weeks of binging then it becomes a problem.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Probably eat more than 1200 calories and lose weight....

that being said, I was like 3000+ on Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween and lost 53 lbs in about 9 months. One day doesn't determine your progress long term unless you mimic that behavior every single day. Holidays are meant to be enjoyed.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Make choices that fit with your goals. You do not HAVE TO handout candy to Halloween kids. You could do anything you like.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Put your leftover candy on the porch with a sign that says "Take ONE".
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I AM A HUGE CHOCOholic. I just recently started this 1200 calorie diet and I really want to dedicate myself to this. But if I even see halloween candy I WILL EAT IT! I can't help it. Anyone have some helpful advice? I have to hand out candy to the neighborhood kids, but I'm afraid I will sit there and eat the candy. I did last year. And isn't Thanksgiving..... isn't the purpose to EAT EAT AND EAT SOME MORE?!?!?!? I think Xmas might be a little easier cause there is SO much going on. But I'm am really just concerned about tomorrow and the days after with left over candy. Just thinking about all those little mini chocolatey wonderfulness I am going insane. nom nom nom nom AH! I need help.

I thought the purpose of Thanksgiving was to be thankful...

My family doesn't do traditional meals for these holidays, but my bf's does. I plan on participating and making the best choices I can, while still relaxing and realizing this is part of life. These holidays happen every year and even when I hit my goal weight, those days will be days filled with food and indulgence, and that's ok. Set your goal to maintain for those days, or the week of, or just accept that days are a roller coaster and you have to learn to adjust now to the things that will always be there.

• onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest eating what you want on those days only (my fav. plan) and keeping your deficit the rest of the time.

Some people suggest eating at maintenance around that time to keep the cravings at bay. (My second fav. plan)

Other people will say eat what you want at all times and exercise off the difference. (Go away plan no one likes you)

Most people will just fall off the wagon and will emerge next Spring to the forums with another 15-20lbs to lose. (Me, last year)

So really, pick whichever works with your personality and give it your all!