How am I going to survive Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas on 1,200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would also add that, while I exercise regularly anyway, we (as a family) have made it a point to get out and do a Turkey Day 5K fun run the last couple of years which is on Thanksgiving morning. We also do the Reindeer Run which is not on Christmas day, but usually mid December and we usually do the Day of the Tread where my wife does a 5k run and I ride...it's usually the week before Halloween...we missed it this year though because we were hosting a yoga party last weekend.

Doing these kind of festive fitness events are a great way to celebrate the season and are a lot of fun.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanksgiving is actually pretty easy as long as you keep your portions under control and fill up on the lower calorie items.

1 piece pumpkin pie (1/8 of 9-in pie) 180 calories
    6 ounces white turkey breast (oven roasted 231 calories
    ½ cup sautéed green beans 50 calories
    ½ cup candied sweet potatoes 150 calories
    1 dinner roll 110 calories
    1 pat butter 45 calories

Total: 677 calories

If you do some exercise that day and burn off 300 calories or so it'll be just like what you probably already consume on a daily basis at meal time. :)

Make a plan. Pre-log everything. And stick to it. You'll be fine.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I reckon up your calories!!! And then you can fit in a choccy bar a day if you really want it. 1200 I've discovered is too low if you want to keep your weight off forever. There's heaps of threads on here about that and I had no idea!! I was like huh!!! I thought it was always like 1200 to lose weight but not so! I reckon read some of these threads and up those calories. You will lose weight and fit in your choccy treat if you love it and keep the weight off for life. Good luck! :-))
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Halloween: buy candy you don't like. Or plastic treats or some such.
    Thanksgiving: is one day. Eat whatever you want for one day, then back on the wagon the next. If you are cooking/hosting or live with who is, have a plan for the leftovers. Even if it is just to weigh and measure when you eat them on Friday.

And I agree with previous posters that 1200 is probably not realistic, but that is ultimately up to you.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Also remember: you can feast without binging.

You can have a full Thanksgiving dinner and go over your calorie allotment by hundreds of calories. It doesn't have to be thousands.

And even if it is thousands, it's one day. Don't turn Thanksgiving into a 4-day binge.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

You can have a full Thanksgiving dinner and go over your calorie allotment by hundreds of calories. It doesn't have to be thousands.

Something I need to learn, for sure.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    JCM1969 wrote: »
    Someone once told me.... it is a holiDAY.... just one day. Eating on one day wont kill all of your progress.... It is when Christmas DAY turns into 2 weeks of binging then it becomes a problem.

I think this is what happens. Christmas turns into a month of non-stop parties and get togethers and your always surrounded by food and drinks and yummy desserts.

OP - I think it's ok to have a day where you can enjoy the holiday festivities. Just don't do it for the entire month.

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I could not manage on a 1200 cal a day restriction.
    I eat what I want, (in moderate amounts of course), and workout a little longer if I've over done it so I can maintain or lose if needed.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Throw out the leftover candy. Or better yet, dump it all into the last kid's bag, make her the happiest kid in the world, then turn out the porch light and call it a night.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is actually pretty easy as long as you keep your portions under control and fill up on the lower calorie items.

1 piece pumpkin pie (1/8 of 9-in pie) 180 calories
    6 ounces white turkey breast (oven roasted 231 calories
    ½ cup sautéed green beans 50 calories
    ½ cup candied sweet potatoes 150 calories
    1 dinner roll 110 calories
    1 pat butter 45 calories

Total: 677 calories

If you do some exercise that day and burn off 300 calories or so it'll be just like what you probably already consume on a daily basis at meal time. :)

Make a plan. Pre-log everything. And stick to it. You'll be fine.

While I agree with the overall message, If you want those calorie counts you'd better be in control of the cooking. We have all of those things every year, and the only two items that aren't significantly more than those counts are the turkey breast and pat of butter (oddly enough, the butter would be less).

And of course this doesn't include the stuffing, cranberry sauce, salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, cornbread, alternate vegetable side, and usually one other pie that we serve. This why on Thanksgiving we only have one meal.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1200 wouldnt even cover my pie calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as others have already pointed out, it is only three days out of the year. I think last year on thanksgiving I probably put away about 4000 calories; christmas was probably 3000; and on halloween I don't know because I usually drink like a fool and skip the candy….point being, eating heavy on a few days a year is not going to to sabotage your progress...
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Choose wisely young Jedi!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    This post reminded me of these pictures I saw in Cooking Light:

wck194pzmw5x.jpg15w6soxkh2uh.jpg

I'm sure this principal can be applied to all holidays. However, it is only 3 days. 3 days that aren't even next to each other but a couple weeks apart. I'm sure you will survive eating at maintenance calories or a little over for 3 days. There are another 362 days for you to worry about sticking to 1200 calories.

Kudos to you for being able to stick to 1200 calories. I'm hoping to never have to cut down to that...not sure I could do it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, nobody became fat because of a holiday or special occasion...people get fat when they treat everyday like a holiday or special occasion.

Just because this needs to be paid attention to.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest eating what you want on those days only (my fav. plan) and keeping your deficit the rest of the time.

Some people suggest eating at maintenance around that time to keep the cravings at bay. (My second fav. plan)

Other people will say eat what you want at all times and exercise off the difference. (Go away plan no one likes you)

Most people will just fall off the wagon and will emerge next Spring to the forums with another 15-20lbs to lose. (Me, last year)

So really, pick whichever works with your personality and give it your all!

I like the first 2 options.

Last year I fell into the last category, but I was also pregnant so I guess I have to cut myself some slack there.

• RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    buy smaller plates
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    AKChevy wrote: »
    buy smaller plates

Good idea and maybe plan some physical activities instead of sitting around.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    one word: refeed
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    AKChevy wrote: »
    buy smaller plates

Good idea and maybe plan some physical activities instead of sitting around.

OR you can eat, drink, be merry, and enjoy a day with family and friends….