Options
lili200
lili200 Posts: 200 Member
any ideas?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    That's not nice to say to bread.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    So you were diagnosed with Celiac disease? That's the only reason to go gluten-free.

What she says
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What is the question?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Some of the bread is skinny, so w/e
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't bad per say, so watch your calorie intake and check your macros to make sure you're not going overboard with carbs and you'll be fine.

Personally, I just don't have bread... I went gluten free before all the craze, when the only products I could find tasted like cardboard so I quickly got used to not eating the manufactured gluten free products and just make my own everything. I buy it from time to time as a treat but it's just not part of my everyday diet. Makes it easier.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

What she says

Not necessarily... certain autoimmune diseases CAN respond positively to eliminating gluten and/or wheat and/or other grains from the diet.

OP, what is your question. You did not post a coherent question.

• lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was told by ,y doctor to stop gluten, wasn't fashnable thing... jvs- so what carbs do you eat at breakfast if may I ask?
    - I easyly finish my 1400 calories diet with current gluten free diet- thats the problem .
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Fashion is a pretty lame reason to stop eating gluten. Your doctor told you that??? Fire your doctor. If you don't have celiac disease, eat gluten.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

There are other reasons. I am allergic to gluten wheat barley and oat. Allergy is so severe that the smallest cross contamination of my food will cause me yo go into anaphylaxis. I however, do not have celiacs.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Fashion is a pretty lame reason to stop eating gluten. Your doctor told you that??? Fire your doctor. If you don't have celiac disease, eat gluten.

No she's saying she isn't going GF because of fashion. She's doing it because her doctor advised she needs to go GF.
  • elphie754
    Options
    It won't let me edit my post on mobile but I wanted to say this. If you insist of remaining gluten free and need some gluten free meal ideas, inbox me and I share recipes and sites that have recipes with you.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    GF certified oats are a good gluten free choice. Cream of rice cereal too, if you're after something hot. If you want a portable or cold breakfast try overnight oats in a jar, or use GF oats to make oatmeal breakfast cookies (recipes abound online). I found a great pumpkin pie overnight oats recipe that is gluten free (*so long as you confirm that your oats are GF)

After experimenting for a while I found I actually function better on a relatively lower carb breakfast, focusing more on protein/fat. Keeps me full and satisfied longer. So now I prefer cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or eggs and meat over carby breakfast foods most of the time anyway.
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    edited October 2014
    Options

There are many other reasons to go "gluten free" unrelated to celiac, but this does also include prevention of Celiac disease in people with HLA genetic predisposition who haven't yet been diagnosed with Celiac.

Relevant HLA-DQ and transglutaminase positivity (serologic features of celiac disease) in the general population is close to 2%. That's 1 in 50!!!! As far as disease predisposition goes, that's not small.

Adult celiac disease also has a long subclinical time period before diagnosis, often a decade, so many don't realize that they even have it.

Celiac disease isn't just about the bowel either. Having celiac disease (whether you are aware that you have it or not) carries an 18% risk of lymphoma. That's astronomically high compared to baseline population risk for lymphoma.

It is also not just about the gluten. Many other undesirable compounds are in wheat that may actually be worse than modern gluten (eg. amylopectin A, wheat germ agglutinin etc).

It should also be noted that foods labelled "gluten-free" have even worse high glycemic junk than the foods they are designed to replace. One ingredient whole foods avoid this problem.
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »

What she says

Not necessarily... certain autoimmune diseases CAN respond positively to eliminating gluten and/or wheat and/or other grains from the diet.

Absolutely. They may also be prevented in the first place.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to wheat, and i eat udi's gluten free white sandwich bread when i want toast. otherwise for breakfast i eat oats cooked in non-fat milk sweetened with stevia and with a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. or i have 3 egg beaters topped with light sour cream, parmesan and pepper with 1 serving hash browns.
  • elphie754
    Options
    i'm allergic to wheat, and i eat udi's gluten free white sandwich bread when i want toast. otherwise for breakfast i eat oats cooked in non-fat milk sweetened with stevia and with a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. or i have 3 egg beaters topped with light sour cream, parmesan and pepper with 1 serving hash browns.

Side note: if you like udi's they have these AMAZING chocolate chocolate chip muffins. Good for a treat when you need something sweet.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    make your own :smiley:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    lili200 wrote: »
    I was told by ,y doctor to stop gluten, wasn't fashnable thing... jvs- so what carbs do you eat at breakfast if may I ask?
    - I easyly finish my 1400 calories diet with current gluten free diet- thats the problem .

It sounds like your doctor suggested gluten free due to a presenting health issue. This doesn't mean that someone going gluten free is an answer to losing weight - I guess it is good marketing to suggest this but not accurate. There are many packaged "gluten free" products that are high in calories so it would be easy to gain weight while switching to gluten free. You would still need to log your food and keep with in the appropriate calorie limit. It was your overall calorie intake that lead to weight gain not gluten specifically. If you are concerned about getting enough carbs for energy there are many non-gluten choices including berries, greek yogurt, vegetables, legumes, oats etc.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

No she's saying she isn't going GF because of fashion. She's doing it because her doctor advised she needs to go GF.

Oh, thanks...I was confused because of the way she writes.