IIFYM AND CHEAT MEALS.

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's about weekly average. So have your cheat meal, but try to eat less the other days to make up for it.

I absolutely need those 'refeed' days as well but typically my body lets me know when it's time (I get hungrier and get massive carb and fat cravings).
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    shonako wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I fit all my goods in there. There is no way I could eat half of a pizza though.

Have you seen a difference in your progress between being on a clean diet and IIFYM? Or have you lost weight regardless of what you ate as long as you was at a calorie deflict? I want to understand this IIFYM a bit more lol.

Also not Lis but wanted to post my experience. This is my experience of iifym.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BombshellPhoenix/view/my-1200-calorie-story-705482

"Clean" is such a broad random word. Focusing on nutrient density is great, that's the essence of iifym. It's not intended to be an "eat nothing but cheetos diet". It's a philosophy that if you're getting your bodies required nutrients, there's no need to label foods. Focusing on macros and micros was super liberating for me. I will never diet again. This is something that makes sense for me for any goal I have.

UGH, I both love you and hate you lol. I'm maybe halfway through my journey, if that. So much time left :( Totally would love to have your physique! What kind of lifting routine did you implement while cutting? I've been doing upper/lower split but considering a 2x a week full body routine to give me more recovery days. Also on a diet break atm and plan to return with only a 15% deficit, which will hopefully be gentler on my body.

<3 well don't hate me! !! :smiley: Honestly, for my cut I wasted a lot of potential strength gains doing hacked together routines rather than a good structured ones. I saw most of my physique/strength improvement when I switched to bulk back in February and switched to All Pro beginner's routine(I still think this or strong lifts 5x5 would be good). It's bodybuilding.com. it's 3x a week full body. More of a hypertrophy routine, which was weird after coming off of lower reps but combined with a bulk resulted in quite a bit of difference over the months. My bulk, I'll add was not as successful as I'd hoped. Gained about 4 lbs in 7 months, actually hit maintenance for about 4 of those months but I didn't really want to up calories more.

Sorry that was a ramble♡

Thanks :D Looked at the routine and it seems like a lot for being in a cut, although I did read that the reps can be changed to your liking. Have you cut at all on this routine as well, or just bulk/maintain? I've done 3x a week FB and found it to be too tiring, but I also did not periodize the rep scheme..... This is an interesting routine, especially the 2 working sets! I've been doing 3-4.

I had intended on eventually attempting it on a cut, though sadly I'm out from lifting due to a back injury for the time being. It would be interesting to see how one would fair. It is quite a bit but I like it. It's challenging for sure. I started very light, especially since the intentions of going up by 10% each cycle. Which, I imagine would be slower when cutting.

oh no :( I have tennis elbow myself, but thankfully I can still lift with it. Hope you have a good, not too long recovery!

I am just not sure if changing up the weight like that while cutting would be ideal, although if the 1RM stays the same for all then it would probably still be okay since you'd be putting similar load on the muscles... right?

<snip>
    You mentioned lifting 2 x a week. This is generally considered the minimum needed for LBM retention - however, imo 3 x a week is better so that, if you cannot for some reason make one of the sessions, you still have lifted 2 x a week that week.

Thanks for this! Great point.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think a cheat once a week is ok. I burn extra calories on my cheat day and eat back some of the calories I burn. If I don't burn many calories I don't get much of a treat. It is the only day I eat back my exercise calories. On top of this my macros are set at my BMR not my TDEE so I burn more calories than I eat even without exercise. I think a "cheat" is okay as long as it isn't all the time. You don't get fat by eating too much once a week. I know I didn't. I got fat by eating too much every day. Just like you won't get skinny eating a deficit once a week, you need to do it consistently. Hardest part is not overeating the next day. If you can't do it once a week and be okay every other day than I would say don't do it. Those are my thoughts.