My Favourite Sandwich is Half my Daily Quota

Options
So I've been tracking all of my food very carefully this week on My Fitness Pal. Today I realized that my normal - and very beloved! - peanut butter and nutella sandwich actually puts me over my entire daily fat quota by 2 grams, and makes up more than half my daily caloric intake.

Hahahahahhaha!!

Yes, I believe it. It just sounds ludicrous, don't you think?

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If a 600 calorie sandwich is more than 50% of your daily caloric intake, I say you daily intake goal is much too low.

2 pc bread - 200 cal
    2tbsp nutella - 200 cal
    2tbsp peanut butter - 190 cal
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 1200 calories, which is fine :) I use 4 tbs of peanut butter and 1 of nutella, so it's a nice, gooey thick sandwich on multigrain bread. And it's true; I don't feel hungry for hours and hours after eating one. The whole thing gives me a big boost of protein and fibre, so I think it's still a keeper. Just not an every day thing!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    good start to your calorie education.
    g luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I use sara lee 45 cal bread, so 2 slices = 90. This way, if you were to add 2 tbs PB =190 and 1 tbs nutella =100 for a total of 380, this would be much better than your 600. You have to learn moderation. Welcome to MFP!
  • smandymail
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I use sara lee 45 cal bread, so 2 slices = 90. This way, if you were to add 2 tbs PB =190 and 1 tbs nutella =100 for a total of 380, this would be much better than your 600. You have to learn moderation. Welcome to MFP!

Ah, good plan! I thought I might also spread it into a whole wheat tortilla :)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, get a digital scale and weigh how much peanut butter and nutella you're using. It's very easy to underestimate when you're spooning it on. You may have even more than 600 calories in the sandwich.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Haha... well, it happens! But you can always make yourself a half sandwich, or keep it for special occasions like you said. If you cut all your favorite foods out of your diet, it's just makes it that much harder to stick with it. And PB and whole grain bread may be dense, but it's not junk food. So if you love it, enjoy it!
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've never personally tried it, but some people have said PB2's Powdered Peanut Butter is a good alternative to traditional PB. Of course, there are mixed reviews on this, so it's something you may want to consider if lower calories is high on your priority list.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating half or a quarter of your usual sandwich.
  • smandymail
    Options
    I've never personally tried it, but some people have said PB2's Powdered Peanut Butter is a good alternative to traditional PB. Of course, there are mixed reviews on this, so it's something you may want to consider if lower calories is high on your priority list.

Powdered peanut butter? Interesting

• smandymail
    Options
    gle8442 wrote: »
    Haha... well, it happens! But you can always make yourself a half sandwich, or keep it for special occasions like you said. If you cut all your favorite foods out of your diet, it's just makes it that much harder to stick with it. And PB and whole grain bread may be dense, but it's not junk food. So if you love it, enjoy it!

Thanks! That about sums up how I feel about it too :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do eat big ticket items, like a 600 calorie sandwich, and then play it safe the rest of the day. The mindfullness helps. ie- this is a really special treat vs this is what I always eat for lunch.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Oh nice, thanks for the sandwich suggestion! :smile:
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    Mmmmmm......Nutella......
    You said it keeps you full for a long time, so if you really want to keep it just manage by only eating 600 calories throughout the rest of the day! Easy! 300 for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, 300 for dinner. Don't see a problem here!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what's the sugar count on that yummy sounding sandwich?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    smandymail wrote: »
    So I've been tracking all of my food very carefully this week on My Fitness Pal. Today I realized that my normal - and very beloved! - peanut butter and nutella sandwich actually puts me over my entire daily fat quota by 2 grams, and makes up more than half my daily caloric intake.

Hahahahahhaha!!

Yes, I believe it. It just sounds ludicrous, don't you think?

Peanut butter & Nutella stirred into fat free Greek yoghurt is delish too!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to measure nutella and peanut butter, or you could track how many servings per jar you typically use (tick mark with permanent marker each time to you make sandwich and use the nutrition info on the package to figure out the total calories in jar/divide by # of uses and you'll get average calories per sandwich). If the sandwich is satisfying you and you love it, then keep doing it! Just factor it into your daily totals. I have a low cal/high protein bfast for you - 2-3 ounces of Greek yogurt (0 fat Fage) and 3 ounces frozen raspberries with two packages of Stevia in the Raw. A cup of coffee with some milk, and 150 calorie breakfast is yours! That leaves you 450 for dinner, which could include a salad, veggie, protein, and a small (white or sweet) potato. Olive Garden Light Italian Dressing is only 30 cals.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try that sandwich!
  • smandymail
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what's the sugar count on that yummy sounding sandwich?

Sugar is at 21g! Nearly at half on that too ;)
    I think it's totally worth it :)

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Just make half a sandwich! Still just as much gooey goodness, half the calories.