My Favourite Sandwich is Half my Daily Quota

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Does sound ridiculous. a 500 calorie sandwich is half caloric goal. lulz.
    That's called doing it wrong.

Any that's helpful at all how? It works for OP and makes it sustainable for her, which is a lot better than feeling deprived and increasing the chances she'll go off plan.

How about no one asked you? Go eat some vegemite.

You don't know how vlcds are doing it wrong? Sounds like you're going to be set up for success that way. Congrats.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    who cares!! just eat it!!! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Does sound ridiculous. a 500 calorie sandwich is half caloric goal. lulz.
    That's called doing it wrong.

Any that's helpful at all how? It works for OP and makes it sustainable for her, which is a lot better than feeling deprived and increasing the chances she'll go off plan.

How about no one asked you? Go eat some vegemite.

You don't know how vlcds are doing it wrong? Sounds like you're going to be set up for success that way. Congrats.

The OP is on VLCD?
  • dbmata
    Options
    If 500 calories is half daily intake.

What is 500*2?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    If 500 calories is half daily intake.

What is 500*2?

Did SHE say her sandwich was 500?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Actually she said she uses 4tbsp of peanut butter, 1tbsp of nutella, and some multigrain bread. Which probably comes out to more like 600-650 calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Ugh every time I pass this thread I want to make myself one of these sangwiches.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Actually she said she uses 4tbsp of peanut butter, 1tbsp of nutella, and some multigrain bread. Which probably comes out to more like 600-650 calories.

So depending on her height, weight, lifestyle, age... 1200-1300.... hmm sounds like what THIS WEBSITE would recommend to her (depending on her inputs).
  • segacs
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So depending on her height, weight, lifestyle, age... 1200-1300.... hmm sounds like what THIS WEBSITE would recommend to her (depending on her inputs).

1200-1300 calories isn't wrong for everyone. I'm a 5'1" woman and my goal of 1300 calories is TDEE-20% for my age, height, weight and activity level -- not based on MFP's guided recommendation at all. The OP says she just wants to lose about 5 pounds and then maintain -- she's obviously not going for an unhealthy target here. The truth is, us smaller ladies need less food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

1200-1300 calories isn't wrong for everyone. I'm a 5'1" woman and my goal of 1300 calories is TDEE-20% for my age, height, weight and activity level -- not based on MFP's guided recommendation at all. The OP says she just wants to lose about 5 pounds and then maintain -- she's obviously not going for an unhealthy target here. The truth is, us smaller ladies need less food.
    Bingo. It's NOT wrong for everyone. And it isn't a "VLCD".

• dbmata
    Options

Hard to agree with that when there's a bird of a bird at UCSF doing anti-aging research based on VLCDs, and her program for study participants is 1400 calories.

Eh, what the hell does she know, MFP says 1200 is good to go.
  • segacs
    Options
    Hard to agree with that when there's a bird of a bird at UCSF doing anti-aging research based on VLCDs, and her program for study participants is 1400 calories.

Eh, what the hell does she know, MFP says 1200 is good to go.

VLCDs are defined as diets of <800 calories/day. This is clearly not what the OP is eating.

Look, I know that a lot of people come on here saying that they're targeting 1200 calories/day because they entered a 2lb/week goal into MFP and that's what it told them, and really they should be eating more. But the OP has already stated that she's very small and light and it does sound like her calorie goal is appropriate.

Back to the topic at hand: Yes to food splurges within the goal! If you love a food, you gotta be able to indulge from time to time.
  • dbmata
    Options
    No, that's not how they're defined.

But hey, she'll do it, and it will work or it won't. No skin off my knucks. She could do it right, or do it cyclically.

Looks like cycles are what she prefers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

But hey, she'll do it, and it will work or it won't. No skin off my knucks. She could do it right, or do it cyclically.

So calorie restriction isn't based on TDEE/BMR? My sister's BMR is about 1000. She's eating about 1200. that's a bad bad VLCD?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    OP: Your profile says you have only 3 lbs left to go. I recommend switching your MFP goals to be .5 lb / week. It's much more sustainable and will help you slowly transition into maintenance.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP: Your profile says you have only 3 lbs left to go. I recommend switching your MFP goals to be .5 lb / week. It's much more sustainable and will help you slowly transition into maintenance.
    Not a bad idea at all.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just decided that our favorite soup, whih involves 2 kinds of cheese, potatoes, and possibly a healthy dose of crack, can happen on a day we've done a long hike. You just have to find a way to enjoy your favorite things occasionally without starving the rest of the day. :smile:

Another thing to consider is do you really need to be as low as 1200 calories? A lot of us here have found we have better long-term success losing a bit more slowly but not feeling hungry as much of the time.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Link please? Or explain what 'a bird of a bird' means so I can find this study myself?
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I typically get like... 2/3 of my calories from one meal and that's simply because the things I like to cook for dinner are too high calorie for acceptable portion sizes to fit into a diet where all meals are divided into 3 equal portions. So I eat sparingly during the day to afford a nice sized dinner of things I would actually eat for the rest of my life.
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Um...hi! I started this thread and it's gone (unsurprisingly) a bit nuts. I don't think I prefer "cycles" since I've never dieted in my life and hardly need to now - I want to lose 5 pounds, big deal?

Sandwiches were meant to be a lighthearted topic....