Breakfast ideas?

Options
I need inspiration. I read multiple places that the way to lose weight is eat a big, balanced breakfast, a smaller lunch, and an even smaller dinner. But I am SO uncreative with breakfasts, I end up just having a smoothie and a cup of cottage cheese for protein. Ideas?! Preferably dairy free for my poor lactose intolerant tummy.

Replies

• Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, scrambled egg whites with spinach/kale and sun dried tomatoes, double fiber English muffins (like Orowheat) with a tbsp or two of peanut butter or any nut butter, frozen berries mixed into Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, Mashed avacado with a squeeze of lime juice and salt and pepper on whole grain or sprouted toast. And be sure to follow your meals with green tea. It's great for a little bit of caffeine and a slight metabolism boost. :)
  • paigealexandra93
    paigealexandra93 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have to watch my egg intake too, unfortunately, because I was told my cholrestoral is a little high.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I like eating more earlier in the day. Oatmeal is a daily easy go to for me and filling. alot of ways to change it up, add fruit, cinnamon, brown sugar, peanut butter. hard boiled eggs, fruit, omelet with veggies.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do a search. Dozens of thread on the subject.
  • palmzilla86
    palmzilla86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A typical breakfast for me would include 3 egg whites, 2 slices turkey bacon, half of a plain baked sweet potato, and some sliced cucumbers. This ends up being a very hearty breakfast and will keep you full for hours. I also have a protein shake in between breakfast and lunch with keeps you even fuller for longer.

I sometimes mix things together just to see what happens, so lately I've been mashing my sweet potato into a half packet of oatmeal and a teaspoon of chia seeds. I'll eat that along with a fruit and broccoli.

Don't be afraid to throw some green and leafy vegetables in the mix. Get creative and don't limit yourself to the typical "breakfast" food. You'll come up with some good stuff.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    First, know that how you spread out your calories during the day -- big breakfasts and small dinners, visa versa, one meal a day, 5 meals a day, whatever -- has no meaningful impact on metabolism or weight loss. Those silly "people who eat breakfast lose more weight / gain less weight" statements are not really backed up. To the extent that observational studies have seen this, it's a "correlation does not equal causation" sort of thing. As in, maybe being heavier often has a hormonal impact of just suppressing morning appetite, not eating more in the morning helps weight come off.

What does matter is that YOU feel satisfied and happy with your meal plan. If breakfast makes you happy and you're not the sort of person who's in danger of spending all day fantasizing about dinner or whatever, sure, go ahead and eat a big breakfast and smaller meals the rest of the day. On the other hand, if you find that using up a big piece of your calorie budget early in the day makes you distracted by the idea of all the food you're missing the rest of the day or sad that you've got little to look forward to foodwise, then don't do that.

That being said, I love breakfast! Two of my favorite more calorific breakfasts are:

1. Leftover oats made with milk, then mixed with an egg and gently fried in a skillet with a bit of butter. This can be high, moderate, or even a little low on calories depending on serving size and whatever you choose to mix in with the oatmeal. I've been digging PB2 and chocolate chips lately. But I've also done this with bacon, cheese, and green onions.

2. A skillet hash of shredded brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, turkey breakfast sausage, and a couple of eggs. If you don't like brussels sprouts, you can substitute another hardy green (cabbage, kale, chard, etc.), use more onion, or simply omit them.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Oh also, straight up eggs with black beans, salsa, mushrooms and cilantro in a low cal tortilla!
  • naareekk
    Options
    Egg Whites, Oatmeal with a bit of honey, certain energy bars are ok periodically.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Ooh! I thought we'd make it a whole day without a breakfast thread.
  • paigealexandra93
    paigealexandra93 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Well...this is a community geared towards helping others. If my request for help bothers you, feel free to leave.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Well...this is a community geared towards helping others. If my request for help bothers you, feel free to leave.

There's a search option that could be very helpful as well. You have made lots of posts today, seems like people are giving you good advice. Hope it's helpful.
  • suej19
    suej19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Breakfast threads .... my favourite meal.

Food & nutrition are basically what we are interested in, otherwise we'd all be slim and not need a site to help us lose weight.

People join every day, I assume, so new threads on Breakfasts are very useful.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I I read multiple places that the way to lose weight is eat a big, balanced breakfast, a smaller lunch, and an even smaller dinner.

Nope
    Caloric deficit = weight loss, doesn't matter when or how you choose to do that.
    My goto is Greek yogurt with some nuts and fruit in it. Great value 1 c = 23 g of protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: "I'm going to do what works for me."

Say it again and again.

Do what works you, not what diet or fitness gurus tell you to do. You cannot follow all the advice, because everyone has a different opinion.

It's fine (and sometimes fun!) to try out whatever piques your interest, but don't do it because you think you should or some random person said it was the One, True Way.

Do what works for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally usually have a vegetable omelet. If you don't want eggs, that's not for you.

Unlike lots of people, I'm not super into breakfast food, so when I'm not in the mood for my omelet or some oatmeal, I am likely to have leftover dinner or perhaps a salad with protein. There's no rule that breakfast has to involve foods that are traditionally eaten in the morning.

There's also no need to eat a big breakfast if you aren't that hungry then. Eat when you are most hungry based on what makes it easier for you to comply with your eating plan. I like to eat about 400 calories for breakfast, but lots of people are successful eating much less or even nothing.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This morning I heated some black beans in a pan, cracked two eggs and 1 egg white over top of the simmering beans and let them cook until the yolks were just a bit runny. I also toasted myself a piece of Ezekiel Flax bread. For my macros this is an almost perfect blend of protein, carbs, and fat :)
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My 2 favorites:

Better Oats Steel Cut Instant Classic (plain) with 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter and 1 tablespoon Nutella. It's really like warm no bake cookies for breakfast. 330 calories, 35 carbs and 10 protein.

2 eggs over easy (with Pam or nonstick pan) on dry toast (Sara Lee whole wheat usually). 290 calories, 26 carbs, 23 protein. And sometimes I add a couple of slices of bacon.

I know you said more calories at breakfast...so then add milk, fresh fruit, yogurt...etc. I have been trying to have yogurt almost every morning. My body reacts well to probiotics - less bloating.
  • SMarieEM
    SMarieEM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon and a couple eggs :D
  • froggiebecky
    froggiebecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually have boiled eggs and fruit.
    I also usually have vegetable soup (yes, really), because it's filling, very low calorie, and I figure I always need more veg. I make it myself and keep it in the fridge--using whatever I've got on hand and is in season. Currently it's carrot and cumin, but in the summer it was broccoli-carrot, zucchini-mint, split pea, carrot-potato-cabbage, mixed veg...you get the idea.