Paleolithic (Caveman) Diet

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I'm all for healthier options for eating but almost all foods, excepts some wild grown exceptions are Neolithic. Meat today, except game, is much higher in fat and lacks Omega 3 oils. The interesting thing is that few that follow the Paleo/Primal/Caveman diets actually follow them strictly so I doubt that even if it did what it's advocates claim that it's really something we can sustain.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    I have a hot tub time machine and can confirm cavemen had no cancer, Case closed.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    daynerz wrote: »
    In terms of health Paleo is great. No diabetes and cancer in those days, makes sense to eat this way. Great way to eat, I had done it before. Primal way to eat, not a fad diet, it's actually the all natural way. Most people are whiny and emotionally attached to food and remain in denial while they keep eating their unnatural burgers.

Give this approach a go, body composition will change. I had great results, no brain fog, lots of energy, less toxins. Make sure to eat greens if you are a big animal protein eater. The end of the day, it matters how balanced on the PH scale your body is, a body too acidic (burgers, meats) is one for disease... however greens and fruits will even it out, being alkaline.

GL, give it a go <3
    As far as I know, body's pH is maintained in the normal range by kidneys and lungs. Also acidity or alkalinity of food has a very small effect on the pH balance. If it was as high as you mentioned all of us would be sick. And to cause an imbalance that high either kidneys or lungs should be malfunctioning
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Paleolithic diet? I've read a lot of things about it but I think cutting out diary would be quite difficult - I've heard that calcium levels are lower in people on this diet (which isn't good for bones!)...

I think it's a good idea to stick to a diet comprised of mostly whole and nutrient dense foods and the paleo diet does tend to do this but this feature is not unique to the paleo diet. The elimination of specific food items are without merit in many cases, so an alternative that you could consider would be to adopt a strategy where the majority of your diet consists of whole and nutrient dense foods, but you don't abide by any particular nonsensical rules about arbitrary food restrictions based on inaccurate records of "what our ancestors ate".

That way you still reap the benefits of a nutrient dense diet without too much junk food (but some, if you prefer) but you don't have as many rules/restrictions.

side steel for the win, once again!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I'm all for healthier options for eating but almost all foods, excepts some wild grown exceptions are Neolithic. Meat today, except game, is much higher in fat and lacks Omega 3 oils. The interesting thing is that few that follow the Paleo/Primal/Caveman diets actually follow them strictly so I doubt that even if it did what it's advocates claim that it's really something we can sustain.

most of the paleo folks that post around here never even do it 100% …they always seem to morph it into whatever fits into their world view...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    jerarant wrote: »
    Interesting. I wasn't aware that diabetes/cancer didn't exist until our modern times. It's a good thing that cavemen/women had literally no way to check for cancer or diabetes (assuming anyone ever had it, which they didn't), otherwise things might have gotten a bit sketchy. ;)
    I also heard it helps you achieve moral superiority - can you speak to the validity of those claims? Or possibly provide scientifically supported research that backs of of the claims made in your response?

tumblr_ml3zjygk2f1s2kzvmo1_500.gif

Since I don't like to hunt I'll stick to eating "normal" foods. I also like cheese, coffee, beans, bread ...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    In terms of health Paleo is great. No diabetes and cancer in those days, makes sense to eat this way. Great way to eat, I had done it before. Primal way to eat, not a fad diet, it's actually the all natural way. Most people are whiny and emotionally attached to food and remain in denial while they keep eating their unnatural burgers.

Give this approach a go, body composition will change. I had great results, no brain fog, lots of energy, less toxins. Make sure to eat greens if you are a big animal protein eater. The end of the day, it matters how balanced on the PH scale your body is, a body too acidic (burgers, meats) is one for disease... however greens and fruits will even it out, being alkaline.

GL, give it a go <3

Not true

here's an article about a cancerous tumor found in a neanderthal skeleton dating back to 120,000 years ago: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0064539

also, the main reason why there was *less* cancer in palaeolithic times is that a lot of people didn't live long enough to get cancer. It's a disease that affects mainly old people (yep young people get it too, but more rarely) and few neanderthals lived past their 40s.

As for diabetes - recent genetic research suggests that they carried the gene that predisposes people to type 2 diabetes.

The main health benefit from being a hunter-gatherer is the fact that you can't eat without doing a crap ton of exercise, as in you had to hunt and gather food before you could eat it. That involved stalking, chasing and fighting with wild animals (middle palaeolithic people used close range weapons like thrusting spears, because they hadn't developed the stone tool technology for projectile weapons yet) and also walking miles through the countryside to find all the edible plants, fungus, insects etc that you can collect.

Also, palaeolithic people ate grains and legumes. Proto-neolithic people didn't just suddenly start to cultivate plants that people had never eaten before. They cultivated plants that were relatively easy to cultivate, from the kinds of food they ate already. The difference is, palaeolithic people would have eaten grains as a seasonal thing (most of their food would in fact have been seasonal) while mesolithic people figured out how to store some foods for long periods so they didn't go hungry during the winter, and neolithic people figured out how to cultivate and store plant foods, and how to domesticate animals to get milk and eggs and similar (as well as for meat) - dairy is the only truly post-neolithic food.

So if you really want to recreate the health benefits of palaeolithic life in modern times, then you should not allow yourself to eat until you've done exercise that imitates hunting and/or gathering.

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    [
    So if you really want to recreate the health benefits of palaeolithic life in modern times, then you should not allow yourself to eat until you've done exercise that imitates hunting and/or gathering.
    Does walking to the grocery store count?

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    [

Only if you are carrying a spear and wearing a loin cloth. B)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    [

Pics or it didn't happen!
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member

[/quote]

[/quote]

^^^ wants to see this
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    FINALLY! An appropriate place to post this!
    rpe4fxml04q3.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    [

Palaeolithic people probably didn't wear loin cloths. Lower palaeolithic people would have gone naked. Middle palaeolithc people had clothing but it almost certainly was mainly functional, probably was decorative to some extent but it's unlikely they had modern ideas about modesty, and a loincloth is completely pointless from a functional point of view, and isn't that good from a decorative point of view as it covers what's often considered to be the most sexually attractive parts of the human body. Upper palaeolithic people were culturally diverse enough that some of them may have worn something akin to a loin cloth, but going by modern hunter-gatherers, most probably didn't.

So for a really authentic palaeo walk to the grocery store experience, you should either go naked, or wear an animal hide around your shoulders to keep warm/keep the rain off, but not worry about covering your genitalia. You can decorate it with red ochre if you like though, or charcoal.

• neandermagnon
    rpe4fxml04q3.jpg

yeah lol I like that :)

I would have made the punchline be connected to the scarily high rate of fractures in neanderthal male skeletons and the fact that they had to kill large mammals with close range thrusting spears before they could eat.

This is my "neanderthal problems" blog post: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2014/07/19/neanderthal-problems/
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    rpe4fxml04q3.jpg

yeah lol I like that :)

I would have made the punchline be connected to the scarily high rate of fractures in neanderthal male skeletons and the fact that they had to kill large mammals with close range thrusting spears before they could eat.

This is my "neanderthal problems" blog post: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2014/07/19/neanderthal-problems/

Ha! I like those. I'm still trying to figure out how eating paleo means you won't get cancer? How exactly does changing the food I eat prevent my cells from reproducing exponentially and uncontrollably due to anomalies in my DNA?

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

GL, give it a go <3

Not true

here's an article about a cancerous tumor found in a neanderthal skeleton dating back to 120,000 years ago: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0064539

also, the main reason why there was *less* cancer in palaeolithic times is that a lot of people didn't live long enough to get cancer. It's a disease that affects mainly old people (yep young people get it too, but more rarely) and few neanderthals lived past their 40s.

As for diabetes - recent genetic research suggests that they carried the gene that predisposes people to type 2 diabetes.

The main health benefit from being a hunter-gatherer is the fact that you can't eat without doing a crap ton of exercise, as in you had to hunt and gather food before you could eat it. That involved stalking, chasing and fighting with wild animals (middle palaeolithic people used close range weapons like thrusting spears, because they hadn't developed the stone tool technology for projectile weapons yet) and also walking miles through the countryside to find all the edible plants, fungus, insects etc that you can collect.

Also, palaeolithic people ate grains and legumes. Proto-neolithic people didn't just suddenly start to cultivate plants that people had never eaten before. They cultivated plants that were relatively easy to cultivate, from the kinds of food they ate already. The difference is, palaeolithic people would have eaten grains as a seasonal thing (most of their food would in fact have been seasonal) while mesolithic people figured out how to store some foods for long periods so they didn't go hungry during the winter, and neolithic people figured out how to cultivate and store plant foods, and how to domesticate animals to get milk and eggs and similar (as well as for meat) - dairy is the only truly post-neolithic food.

boop.gif
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    About 6 months out of the year, I follow a fairly strict paleo diet. No booze, no dairy..almost all meat and vegs. I don't eat a lot of nuts. I do however drink coffee...a lot. But eatting that way and watching my macros is effective in letting me lose the weight I need before a comp. So yes, for me, it works.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    As you can see, OP, the reasoning (snort!) behind the Paleo diet is completely bogus. It's just a low carb diet with a trendy name. If you want to check into the merits of low-carbing, do that, but please don't buy into the bogus crap that goes along with Paleo.

Personally, I and many others find that eating a variety of whole foods provides our bodies with what we need without resorting to cutting out entire food groups (we even eat the occasional "junk" food). Some people do find, though, that it's easier to stay within their calorie goals if they cut carbs, but keep in mind that the science does not support doing this long term. Sooner or later, you will have to find a way to develop a healthy relationship with your food. All of it. Even the ice cream and bread.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Sooner or later, you will have to find a way to develop a healthy relationship with your food. All of it. Even the ice cream and bread.

not really. Deciding you do not want to eat something does not mean you have an UNhealthy relationship with that food item. There are no absolutes like the above.
  • I could never go palio or primal. I couldn't hunt for my food, I would never survive, besides I don't even know where sandwiches live.