RUNNERS HELP ME!!!

Options
Twinkie2530
Twinkie2530 Posts: 47 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have been running for about a month now.. and I have been doing what I consider to be good! I can complete 3.1 miles without stopping in 34 mins 55 seconds (my last time) My first official 5k is Dec 6. Well today, I decided to do another time run to try and improve. After about mile one I started getting a horrible cramp on my right side. I kept trying to push through it and it would go away some and then come back with a vengeance. I was only able to really run 2 miles and had to walk/run the last 1. Why couldn't I finish this time???? It's normally an easy run for me. The only thing I can think that I did differently was go a different route. I feel so discouraged!

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Every day is different some days will always be better than others. Sounds like you had a stitch. If I was you I wouldn't worry so much about time and just try getting the miles in speed comes in time. Run so you can hold a conversation while running and build up your endurance base then the speed will naturally increase
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I just started running and am interested in the responses. :)

Not sure what you meant to type, but don't think you're doing 12 second miles, so you might want to edit your time there, lol. :)
  • Twinkie2530
    Options
    Ha I meant 34.55 .. but its 34 mins and 55 seconds.
  • Twinkie2530
    Options
    That "stitch" was so awful... It felt like a gremlin was trying to break out of my side. I am trying not to beat myself up over it. I will try again on Tuesday. Hopefully I will be able to work through it if it happens again.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always get side stitches when I eat too soon before a run. Every single time. It hardly ever happens when I leave an hour or more for digestion before running.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. Just go out and run.

Over time you'll be able to run longer distances and faster (if you want).

We all go back and forth sometimes... Injuries, overtraining, etc. Just focus on running and enjoying it. The rest is details. It's good to have goals, but don't let them consume you.

Part of what I love about running is that for the most part, the only person I'm competing with is my ego... :wink:
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'd read an article (I think it was on Runner's World site) that recommend changing up your breathing pattern so that your not always breathing in when your landing on the same foot. Haven't had an issue with it myself but you might want to check it out. Don't let it beat you though, keep at it.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    AniHam wrote: »
    I always get side stitches when I eat too soon before a run. Every single time. It hardly ever happens when I leave an hour or more for digestion before running.
    This.....also if I drink before I run (other than a sip or two) so I make sure I get plenty of fluids in during the hour before I run, stopping at least 20 minutes beforehand.

• Twinkie2530
    edited November 2014
    Options

We all go back and forth sometimes... Injuries, overtraining, etc. Just focus on running and enjoying it. The rest is details. It's good to have goals, but don't let them consume you.

Part of what I love about running is that for the most part, the only person I'm competing with is my ego... :wink:

God, this is the truth!!! I think my ego was hurt more than anything else!
  • Twinkie2530
    Options
    I did have a big breakfast, I may needed to give myself more that 1.5 hours to let it all digest. Thank you everyone for the encouragement and tips.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I have been running for about a month now.. and I have been doing what I consider to be good! I can complete 3.1 miles without stopping in 34 mins 55 seconds (my last time) My first official 5k is Dec 6. Well today, I decided to do another time run to try and improve. After about mile one I started getting a horrible cramp on my right side. I kept trying to push through it and it would go away some and then come back with a vengeance. I was only able to really run 2 miles and had to walk/run the last 1. Why couldn't I finish this time???? It's normally an easy run for me. The only thing I can think that I did differently was go a different route. I feel so discouraged!

Hi Twinkle..you have just learned a very important running lesson, and that's no 2 runs are ever the same.

Sometimes we have great runs, and sometimes, for no rhyme nor reason, we have bad ones.

what's important is you stick at it and keep going! Try not to eat an hour or so before you run, and trust on your training.

Once you are in your 5k race, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how well it's all going.

Just hang in there and keep going!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    My daughter's cross country coach told her two things for side stitches.
    1. slow down a little and bend over slightly as you run
    2. when you exhale be landing on the foot that is on the opposite side of the stitch

She rarely gets them anymore (she started to eat bananas and seem to solve it) but when she did these two things worked every time getting rid of them.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    2. when you exhale be landing on the foot that is on the opposite side of the stitch

She rarely gets them anymore (she started to eat bananas and seem to solve it) but when she did these two things worked every time getting rid of them.

I get this too. For me slowing just down helps ease the pain then can carry on. I can get a bit carried away if really enjoying music on my iPod so have to slow things down!!
  • Twinkie2530
    Options

Its crazy you say this because after my run tonight I was craving bananas! I did 4.1 miles tonight!! Great run tonight! No cramps.

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Bad runs are a good part of running.... I have learned the most about running by working through my "bad" runs.