Don't add me if you need "motivation"

Options
2»

Replies

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    What is going on in here?

I think this thread is motivating (ironic I know) the group of people who like excuses to post angry dogs pics and call me mean.

Others seem to like the idea of MFP being used for more than finding a chearleader and learning how to count. I have received quite a few friend requests as the result of this thread.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm in the obese category, and just starting at changing things around. I would LOVE to see some stuff on macros (ie how to pick a more efficient diet to cut fat and re-condition). I've got muscle atrophy from bedrest so I am working slowly on being active again under a doctor's supervision. I have the motivation and the will power, just a few challenges to work around (mainly limited impact on my joints and dealing with dizziness). That is why I am so interested in macros...how I eat is SO important relative to my weight and health. I am 100% honest and log everything with an open diary. Add me and help me improve my diet :) I really just have no idea so I'm going with the calorie count for now (isn't that like shooting fish in the dark?) I can count my calories and stay under, but I really just need help choosing foods or what foods are the healthiest choices for me. Activity is obviously an important part, but that I can do on my own (feel free to offer suggestions and nitpick because I don't need my hand held, but I love some criticism if it helps me improve). I'll do all of the work with zero complaining and 100% accountability! I'll request you and see what happens!
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm in the obese category, and just starting at changing things around. I would LOVE to see some stuff on macros (ie how to pick a more efficient diet to cut fat and re-condition). I've got muscle atrophy from bedrest so I am working slowly on being active again under a doctor's supervision. I have the motivation and the will power, just a few challenges to work around (mainly limited impact on my joints and dealing with dizziness). That is why I am so interested in macros...how I eat is SO important relative to my weight and health. I am 100% honest and log everything with an open diary. Add me and help me improve my diet :) I really just have no idea so I'm going with the calorie count for now (isn't that like shooting fish in the dark?) I can count my calories and stay under, but I really just need help choosing foods or what foods are the healthiest choices for me. Activity is obviously an important part, but that I can do on my own (feel free to offer suggestions and nitpick because I don't need my hand held, but I love some criticism if it helps me improve). I'll do all of the work with zero complaining and 100% accountability! I'll request you and see what happens!

Friend request sent!

I love motivated people who hold themselves responsible.

I don't claim to have all the answers in regards to optimal macro settings as I think your fitness goals and personal preferences play an important role. I use an IIFYM model with more carbs than most people (because of all my running) but I still consume enough protein and fat to support my weight lifting and other activities.

I am very knowledgeable about anything running related.

I am still fairly new to weight lifting myself so I am eager to compare/contrast different training plans and discuss their impact on recovery times, injury prevention and running training schedules
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Macros are what calories are made up of.

1g of fat - 9 calories
    1g of protein - 4 calories
    1g of carbs - 4 calories

Fat helps your body absorb vitamins and store energy, protein is food for your muscles, and it helps you feel full, longer. Carbs are energy.

Everyone has a different balance of these, because everyone has a different goal. A 40/30/30 split is common around here - but again, it depends on your goals.

You can't build muscles on a calorie deficit though. You need to be eating at a surplus to do that. You can strengthen the muscles you already have though.

I'd recommend starting small and getting your calories under control. Then pick a macro (I'd recommend protein), and focus on hitting that macro, while staying under your calories for a while. Then add another (fat, imo), and work that in - finally work the last one in.

I've lost 68 pounds in just under 9 months, you can do it!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want to discuss macros, combining lifting/running programs or muscle preservation during a diet.

Don't add me if you like to use the word "sabotage" or need a cheerleader.

Add me if you understand that losing/gaining weight requires nothing more than knowing how to count and your purpose here is to improve athletic performance and body composition.

I won't make or break your results, your own self discipline will decide that.

This is now my favorite thread.

Just let me give you a lucky pat to motivate myself.

opn4m0.jpg
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Based on every post you have ever written I would suggest that people should only send you a friend request if they like their friends blunt, smug, condescending and self important. No judgement here, just stating the facts.

Anyone new looking for advice on nutrition, macros or exercise would be better served by joining the Eat, Train, Progress Group. You can search for it under the groups tab in the community section. Lots of solid and useful advice from experienced people who don't come with a superior attitude.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I like your sassy-ness! I am interested in macros/nutrition for women, and while I am a long way away from considering athletic competition, I take my health seriously and am always interested in what other people have to say about combining weights and running. After tackling several health challenges, I am finally just able to add some running into my program. I KNOW I have a lot to learn about doing it right. I would like to learn from you by following your posts.

And BTW ... if someone doesn't like what you have to say in your own post that you initiated, they should just move on. <<haters gonna hate, shake it off>> LOL :)
    noexcusesjustresults2014 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Based on every post you have ever written I would suggest that people should only send you a friend request if they like their friends blunt, smug, condescending and self important. No judgement here, just stating the facts.

Anyone new looking for advice on nutrition, macros or exercise would be better served by joining the Eat, Train, Progress Group. You can search for it under the groups tab in the community section. Lots of solid and useful advice from experienced people who don't come with a superior attitude.

I agree with your second paragraph. That looks like a great group to me led by several very knowledgeable people.

I am blunt but not self important. I try to speak the truth even if it hurts. I would hope people would treat me the same. I value honestly more then nicety.