Racing without Spectators

2»

Replies

• sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    ChiMoe110 wrote: »
    I have a question. I'm doing my 2nd 5k next Sunday and I don't have anyone watching me. My first 5k, I had my boyfriend and his sister there to support me, but they can't make it this time. I'm a little sad and disappointed because I won't have anyone greet me when I'm done. Do a lot of people run without any one with them? How have you felt after your race without spectators. :(
    I ran my first half marathon without people I knew with me. Sad, but I was doing it for myself anyway, not for them.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    There are going to be lots of people running alone without anyone watching. Why not be there for them? After you cross the finish line, cheer for the people who look like they need it. I guarantee you'll feel happier doing that than if everyone you know showed up to cheer for you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    There are going to be lots of people running alone without anyone watching. Why not be there for them? After you cross the finish line, cheer for the people who look like they need it. I guarantee you'll feel happier doing that than if everyone you know showed up to cheer for you.

this. pay it forward.

• Mrs_Chisholm57
    Mrs_Chisholm57 Posts: 4 Member
    My friends and family never come to see me run. I finished my first ever half marathon last year at the Kentucky Derby. I was so excited and so proud, I begged people to come and yet I got to the finish line and crossed it alone. So instead of feeling sadness, I bombed their phones with photos, videos, times, and all my joy. It's always fun to have someone, but you run for you so be proud of youself and run on girl!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,733 Member
    My husband comes to my races, but basically he drops me off, waits in the car for a couple of hours, then drives me home afterwards. He doesn't go out on the course to cheer me on, though sometimes he's at the finish line. I appreciate the support, but mostly I'd be fine without it. I've tried to get him to stay home, because I know it's boring to sit in the car for hours, but he wants to do it so I just smile and say thank you. When I've done a race near where family lives, I actively discouraged them from coming, unless it was to give DH someone to talk to while waiting for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    My wife and kids came to see me do my first 1/2 century ride. They were at the half way point when I road by and at the finish line at the end.

I've done many since, and they haven't gone to them. Watching an endurance cycling event is pretty boring, especially for a 6 & 8 year old. Doesn't bother me...I wouldn't want to sit their for 3-4 hours either.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I've run around 50 races ranging from 5k to half marathon and there has never been anyone waiting for me at the finish line. Doesn't bother me at all; I don't run for other people, I run for me. There are usually plenty of kids on the sidelines cheering on the runners and offering high fives which I absolutely love. I will quite often strike up conversations with other runners before and after a race, usually about shoes and gear. And there are a few races which I run every year and it's fun to catch up with the runners who also run it regularly.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    My reps don’t count unless I post them on Instagram. Have you considered Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube live?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I've rarely if ever had family at my races - the one time my sister came to a triathlon - she slept the day away in the hotel room
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Volunteers and the crowd are always cheering for everyone! The people I go with are also participating. Some finish before me, others after me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    I don't run, I row. Rowing is a rotten spectator sport. It's been rare for anyone (family/friends) to come to a race. But rowers mostly belong to clubs, and the club members will cheer for each other (if they're not elsewhere on the course themselves at the time). Running clubs exist around here, and some of my friends seem to get good support from them, including support from the families of other club members. Would a club be an option in the long term?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    My husband drops me off at the start, goes to get a fast food breakfast, and usually shows up at the finish line by the time I'm done. That's fine with me, as long as he's there to pick me up. I run a 2+ hour half marathon and I'd rather he enjoy himself instead of standing around for a couple hours just to see me run past once or twice.

If you want cheering spectators, consider running a larger race that has entertainment along the route. Some races have live music on the course; some big city races (or small city races, for that matter) draw crowds at certain points.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Oopsie, old thread!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    I don't think you should expect people to be coming to your events after the first time. Your first 5k is an achievement and a milestone. Your first half marathon the same, your first marathon etc. They come to help motivate and celebrate your achievement, but once you've done it....the second time does not have the same cache. And people have their own things to go and do on a Sunday morning :smile: