Racing without Spectators

I have a question. I'm doing my 2nd 5k next Sunday and I don't have anyone watching me. My first 5k, I had my boyfriend and his sister there to support me, but they can't make it this time. I'm a little sad and disappointed because I won't have anyone greet me when I'm done. Do a lot of people run without any one with them? How have you felt after your race without spectators. :(

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    I rarely have spectators at any of my races and it does not really bother me. But then again, as my screen suggests, I prefer running by myself anyway...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,053 Member
    If you would feel better with knowing people are cheering for you, and may even approach you after the race - wear something silly or that stands out. Every time I've done a fun run(walk for me) the people who've put some effort into standing out have been crowd favourites.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    I run them a lot without people there at the end. It's still a super fun environment... go eat some snacks, chat with other runners, and bask in the glory!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I guess I don't understand that mindset. This isn't a color run or a tough mudder... you're racing against yourself and the field, what do spectators have to do with it?

I race to race... to push myself to the absolute limit and to set personal bests, not to impress other people. So having someone there cheering me on doesn't much matter, and at the end of the race I rarely have enough energy left to care if someone meets me at the line.

• berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    I've run a couple of races without spectators. The crowd will cheer for you regardless of the fact that you're not family, etc.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I rarely have anyone with me. Doesn't bother me a bit.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Every. Single. One.

Would it be nice? Yep. HTFU.
  • I have done one 5K, one dirty dash and 3 half marathons, all without spectators. My husband has not embraced my love for running. I was a little sad at first one but now I don't care. I just go into my own little world and try to meet my goal. Then I bore him for hours with the details when I get home. hahahaha! One day he'll go and cheer me on just so he can shut me up by saying he was there.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Every. Single. One.

You ain't no roadie... GTFO with you're HTFU!!!!!

Damn impostors...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited November 2014
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Every. Single. One.

You ain't no roadie... GTFO with you're HTFU!!!!!

Damn impostors...

Forgive me sir, I have indeed neglected my bike this year.

:disagree:
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    I'd be anxious about HAVING spectators, personally - I prefer to do my own thing. But, what works for you works for you.
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    I drive to small local races all the time without the family because after trying to get our 4 and 6 yr old ready, I'm worn out haha. But yes it's nice to have people cheering you but to me at this point, I'm mainly running for my own approval. But rest assured, some people will be cheering. Just imagine it's for you. :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    wow. i cant imagine having people i know supporting my athletic events. I'd be gobsmacked.

If i had a parent or a sibling or a cousin show up to see me race, I wouldn't race. I would fall down dead as a doornail and never recover.

I think more than half of the people who race have NO ONE cheering them. In fact it's probably normal.

When I finish a race, I hug the people that did it with me and we leave.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    ChiMoe110 wrote: »
    I have a question. I'm doing my 2nd 5k next Sunday and I don't have anyone watching me. My first 5k, I had my boyfriend and his sister there to support me, but they can't make it this time. I'm a little sad and disappointed because I won't have anyone greet me when I'm done. Do a lot of people run without any one with them? How have you felt after your race without spectators. :(

5 - 6 times a week generally. No one ever cheers for me when I'm done.

• BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    I usually don't have spectators. I know that watching running isn't really fun for my family. I'll jog by in a couple seconds and they spend the rest of the time waiting (usually in the cold) otherwise. Instead I set up phone app (mapmyrun/runtastic/runkeeper) for live tracking and family and friends can cheer virtually from the comfort of wherever they want. :) I have found it's enough for me to just check my phone and see a "wow great pace!" or "you rocked it!" on my phone while I grab my medal and banana. Maybe also ask a friend or two to race with you! I've run with friends but usually we just meet at the end and carpooling to the event is a blast.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    I did a strongman competition without my family present and cheering me on. You will be fine doing the race, knowing they support you from a far.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    All the races I've done except the last one where my hubby participated with me were done solo and without any people there to specifically cheer me on. I can't imagine my family showing up to cheer me. It would be so shocking. It wouldn't occur to them to come out to support.

I can see how if you were expecting this it's a let down, but just imagine all those cheering on the sidelines as cheerleaders for you.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think you have to consider that, even when you do have someone meet you at the finish, you are essentially running by yourself the entire time anyway. You might get to have a pat on the rear before you start, but once you get in the gates, you're on your own. You might wave at three miles, but...eh? And, you might get a kiss at the finish line, but by then all you really want is a shower anyway. I'm with Yoovie. Hung a stranger and go home! You'll be fine.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    While I had either a running partner or friends cheering me on for my first couple races, most have been run solo. Enjoy the overall atmosphere of the event. Chat with other runners, enjoy the snacks, and cheer on others finishing up after you.

I always leave any race feeling great. Bonus if I hit some major new PR.