almond milk, yes or no

Options
I use semi-skimmed milk; tea, coffee, 1/2 with water in porridge etc., I'm thinking trying almond milk, research is mixed, it seems healthy but is lower in protein.
do you use it?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    No I dont.

I use low fat skim milk.

But if you want to, then try it - If you like it and/or it has other features which appeal to you, that's great.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use it and love it - never really looked at the back of it for protein level though. I just love the taste of vanilla almond milk and use it to make my overnight oats, for baking, mix with my shakes (rarely)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use it for my smoothies, overnight oatmeal, etc. I've never liked "real" milk and I like the taste of almond milk. I get plenty of protein elsewhere in my diet, so I'm not concerned about that
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I buy it once every 6 months if I want to make some smoothies or protein shakes. Otherwise, I stick to milk, because I can't stand the taste of almond milk with coffee or cereal.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    its fine for reducing calories when mixing my protein shakes.
    not good in coffee tho.
    cost wise,its 3x more expensive than semi- skim/ 1% fat milk here in the uk,which is the major downside.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I like real milk as well.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes. I use it in everything now. 30 calories and so worth it!
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    sunman00 wrote: »
    I use semi-skimmed milk; tea, coffee, 1/2 with water in porridge etc., I'm thinking trying almond milk, research is mixed, it seems healthy but is lower in protein.
    do you use it?
    My wife drinks it to reduce calories with great results.

• PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    YES.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yuck
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I use Kirkland vanilla soy milk because I'm lactose intolerant. I love it. The only time it's tricky is with hot, acidic coffee. Then it sometimes gets chunky.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use it for my smoothies, overnight oatmeal, etc. I've never liked "real" milk and I like the taste of almond milk. I get plenty of protein elsewhere in my diet, so I'm not concerned about that

This, although I did use to like "real" milk...I just find myself not wanting to drink it anymore...have gone through this before. My hubby loves almond milk now, too, for mixing his smoothies. I like it for smoothies, overnight oats, with cereal. We usually buy unsweetened, plain or vanilla. Sometimes chocolate, for a relatively low-cal chocolate indulgence. Yum.

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    sunman00 wrote: »
    do you use it?

My uses it and loves it, I can't stand the taste. I very much prefer my 2%
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have never liked the taste of animal milk. So I drink the milk alternatives. They taste so much better
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge milk fan, but like almond milk (vanilla unsweetened) mixed with vanilla protein powder. I also use it in cereal. I always try to have some regular milk (1% or 2%) on hand - haven't really liked almond milk in cooking applications)
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hubby drinks it but I prefer coconut milk. The Silk brand claims to have 50% more calcium than cow's milk.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Almond milk all the time, until recently when they started making Cashew milk, which i enjoy a lot more due to it being creamier.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My wife uses it because she doesn't process milk very well. I love the fact that it keeps on the shelf for a very long time, I don't like how it has no protein. Personally, I rather have the extra 50-70 calories and have real milk.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I make my own almond milk. The store bought ones are ok, but homemade tastes way better in my opinion. As far as a "healthier" alternative to cow's milk - I have a cow's dairy allergy, so for me, the alternative is necessary. But I don't know if it's necessarily healthier if you can tolerate dairy.