almond milk, yes or no

Options

Replies

• Neritel
    Neritel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love that alpro almond milk has like 13 kcal per 100 ml (about 3.3 oz i think). I eat a vegan diet, so I only have plant milks. Most of the times I have soy milk because it seems to have the biggest amount of protein. (Before dieting I was not terribly concerned about protein and I was fine but I ate much more then, so nowadays I tend to look after that more.) On top of that soy milk is also the cheapest option.
    Whenever I use a lot of milk, I tend to go for almond milk to keep the kcal down. Hazelnut milk is delicious in coffee. Some coconut milk (not the high fat one in cans, the low fat milk alternative one) seems to be the most neutral in taste and non-vegans do not seem to taste a difference when I asked them.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes, when I want milk in cereal, just for the difference in calories. It's small, but generally significant for my 'sedentary' setting by the end of the day.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk…I started using it because I didn't go through milk very fast and almond milk stays good longer, but I love the taste and it's easier on my stomach than dairy, now I just drink it out of preference.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk in my smoothies. I like milk for cereal but since I don't eat cereal anymore, I find it unnecessary to keep buying it.

• Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    sunman00 wrote: »
    I use semi-skimmed milk; tea, coffee, 1/2 with water in porridge etc., I'm thinking trying almond milk, research is mixed, it seems healthy but is lower in protein.
    do you use it?

Yes, when I went vegan I made the transition to almond milk and even now that I'm no longer vegan, I still drink it along with soy milk (but I actually prefer soy). There's only like 1g of protein in almond milk, but if you're an average american you're getting plenty of protein anyway! If you get the fortified stuff it's got plenty of other vitamins and it's super low cal (30 cals per cup for unsweetened).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Try it.

I use whole milk, or 2%. I'm sure the nut milks have their place though.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Nah. No protein in it. I'll keep my 2%.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I don't mind using Almond or Coconut milk in cereal.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    almond milk is great, it's not too thick like some soy milk tends to be. and yes the lower calories (for the unsweetened kind - 30 cal/cup) is a big plus!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I used unsweetened almond milk in my coffee during weight loss, to cut calories. Now I drink fat free skim, same as the kids/husband.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Honestly, I think "regular" milk is more nutritious and filling, and I'm not lactose intolerant or vegan. I use whole milk because I don't have a problem with fat in my diet and I find it works better in most everything that requires milk (EXCEPT for macaroni and cheese from the box, coconut milk (like the kind from So Delicious) makes mac'n'cheese better tasting and lower calorie. Seriously, try it, it's great. But don't put it in scrambled eggs. Never again).

I love almond milk for the taste on it's own, but only sweetened, so it's more of a dessert than a replacement for dairy milk, although it's nice that's it's fortified with some extra minerals/vitamins.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Love it in protein shakes! I use vanilla unsweetened.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I prefer almond milk over regular milk, especially in smoothies.
  • kiwisunchips
    kiwisunchips Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALMOND MILK <3 it's low in calories, has healthy fats, and awesome flavours and the unsweetened is low in sugar cals and carbs! If you're worried about protein, just look at you general protein daily, if you rely on milk for a lot of protein you should really consider some new sources (greek yogurt, egg whites, tuna)
  • OnceBitt2xshy34
    Options
    I love it... I get enough protein in my other foods.. I get the unsweetened and 1 cup is only 30 calories :)
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    almond milk is great for cereals or chocolate milk, but I love me some whole milk
  • habeebz921
    habeebz921 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No.

It's only good for smoothies, otherwise I would stick to skim milk since it's not that high in calories anyway and great for protein intake.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I use it, and love it.

Be warned, though, the consistency isn't the same as milk. So there are some recipes where you may or may not be able to substitute it. Generally, I use it for oatmeal and to eat with dry cereals. I find it mixes with Nesquick and other chocolate drink mixes really well, but that it doesn't taste/mix great with hot chocolate. It's good in smoothies, too.

I did not like it in tea, but found it worked in coffee.

If I want protein, I just go for milk. But I don't generally drink milk for the protein (although, considering that my protein is often low, perhaps I should lol). I wouldn't worry about that unless you struggle meeting protein.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I love almond, cashew and cows milk, and use them all. The nut milks are super simple to make, and taste a lot better than the store bought, but don't have the long shelf life because there are no added preservatives.
  • luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    love it as a dairy substitute!! :):D