Best lifting program for women?

Options
13»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You should check out Nia Shanks. She is awesome!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like Ice Cream Fitness.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    The best program for women is the same program that's best for men.

QFT. Women are not a special population - they are half the population.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    According to the census... 50.8%
  • CipherZero
    Options
  • dbmata
    Options
    What's 24.7mil souls between friends? lol.

I didn't know that, I thought women were nearer to 53%.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.
    If she works with someone a few times on form for all the moves, sure.

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.
    And if you use the 5x5 app, as a woman, it's easy to go too heavy too soon. I've seen it. The OP says she's pretty much a noob at lifting. I'm gonna go with: get with someone good the first few times.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda stuck on the "as a woman". Please explain.
    Well, when *I* used the app there was a disclaimer saying the increases were based on men and that women should adjust, but that the app didn't have an adjustment. Have they changed that? I dunno. That was, what 3 years ago maybe.

That just means that a man's lifting weight will probably increase faster than a woman. That has nothing to do with going too heavy too soon. If I pull a bodyweight deadlift at 175 lbs, and the guy next to me pulls a bodyweight deadlift at 225, theoretically we're both applying the same effort to that life. He just weighs more than me, therefore has to move more weight. He'll be able to add 10 lbs to that lift, whereas I might only be able to add 5 lbs at a time. It's proportionate.
    And when I used the app there was no ability to do that adjustment. *IT* decided the increases. Is it better now? great.

Um, so use pen and paper? Just because you can't follow the program correctly doesn't mean you should prevent someone else from using a good program.
    That's what you got from that? OK. :neutral_face:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I see folks saying start with 5x5. But as someone who's lifted for 20ish years, I wouldn't start there. If you haven't lifted before, find something else. New Rules of weight lifting for women, starting strength, something.

Why, out of curiosity?
    I've seen a number of people (not working with a trainer, or someone seasoned) hurt their backs on the deads. I like 5x5, just not sure it's the best "first timer" program.

The program doesn't call for 5x5 on the deads though. Someone who doesn't understand that and bangs them out as a beginner - yeah, that's gonna lead to injury.

I also think there is a tendency to go too heavy too soon rather than following the program as prescribed. People do the same thing with Starting Strength, which is basically the same program in a 3x5 format.

Regardless of the program, you're going to want someone to check your form, particularly on deads and squats.
    And if you use the 5x5 app, as a woman, it's easy to go too heavy too soon. I've seen it. The OP says she's pretty much a noob at lifting. I'm gonna go with: get with someone good the first few times.

Well, when *I* used the app there was a disclaimer saying the increases were based on men and that women should adjust, but that the app didn't have an adjustment. Have they changed that? I dunno. That was, what 3 years ago maybe.

Yes it has an adjustment, just have to press where the weight is and just decrease. Also if you missed workouts, you have to decrease the weight too.

Fabulous. That's a great improvement. Thanks.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Why, out of curiosity?

That just means that a man's lifting weight will probably increase faster than a woman. That has nothing to do with going too heavy too soon. If I pull a bodyweight deadlift at 175 lbs, and the guy next to me pulls a bodyweight deadlift at 225, theoretically we're both applying the same effort to that life. He just weighs more than me, therefore has to move more weight. He'll be able to add 10 lbs to that lift, whereas I might only be able to add 5 lbs at a time. It's proportionate.
    And when I used the app there was no ability to do that adjustment. *IT* decided the increases. Is it better now? great.

You're just making things up as you go. You've always been able to adjust weight for the day, both in app, and out of app.

:neutral_face: ok.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the one you're going to follow through with and see how far you can go.

as opposed to

the one you're going to google, bookmark and forget about.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Why, out of curiosity?

when you joined... did it ask if you were male or female?

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I love this idea for setting up a program: http://body-improvements.com/2014/10/23/back-of-the-napkin-lifting-programming/

This is stroutman81's site, and he REALLY knows his stuff.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think worldwide women make up about 52% of the population.

I second Nia Shanks, OP. The template posted above by stroutman81 is similar to one of her's as well.

In general, though, any beginner programme that has you doing mostly compound lifts and progressing steadily will do. The rest is up to personal preference so pick one that you enjoy. I started with AllPro, then I tried a bunch of stuff and now I'm doing one of Nia's templates.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I recently completed NROLFW. I really liked it and saw great results. I only have about 10 pounds to lose and the body recomp was great!

ETA: My profile pic is my before/after NROLFW and about a 6-7 pound difference.
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ^^^I have to agree with NROLFW I'm in the middle of it and I love it. I'm getting great results. There is also a great group on here for it and the ladies there are so friendly and so helpful. It's like doing the program with a bunch of ppl who have been right where you are.
  • Letsdothis1984
    Letsdothis1984 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ChaLEAN and it focuses on weight training. I'm a beginner and I love it
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Did my first session today, seems quite simple and didn't take too long so I like that.

Before I started tho a PT came up to me and said it's not a good program for body recomposition. He recommended doing a program with more reps less weight increases. Said I'd get more toned that way. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My goals are to get stronger and at the same time tone up. Will mainly eat at a calorie deficit using TDEE method but being the lead up to Christmas don't think I'll me able to stick to that so well
  • dbmata
    Options
    Toned. LOL.

I'd tell him to kick rocks. "Toned." He's no pro.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Roz2889 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Did my first session today, seems quite simple and didn't take too long so I like that.

Before I started tho a PT came up to me and said it's not a good program for body recomposition. He recommended doing a program with more reps less weight increases. Said I'd get more toned that way. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My goals are to get stronger and at the same time tone up. Will mainly eat at a calorie deficit using TDEE method but being the lead up to Christmas don't think I'll me able to stick to that so well

*kitten*, don't listen to that guy. He obviously has no clue what he's talking about, it's probably the old horrible "don't lift heavy weights, women, or you'll look like Arnold Schwarzenegger" story.

There used to be a thread here with progress pictures of women who lift heavy but I can't seem to find it anymore since the forum update. While some of them are more muscular than I personally aspire to, they all look gorgeous and "toned" while also being damn strong. How "toned" or muscular or "bulky" you look also depends a lot on your diet and bodyfat percentage.

This is also a decent article on the topic by Bret Contreras, who knows his stuff.
  • CipherZero
    Options
    Roz2889 wrote: »

PTs are by and large useless. Their job is to get you to buy their services, whether or not it meets your goals. They are glorified salesman until proven otherwise.