What time do u stop eating ?

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I stop eating before I turn the light off to sleep, but not always. I generally have my last small snack with my before bed reading. It's my nighttime ritual. Where did you get the idea that food sits in your stomach all night? Just because you are asleep doesn't mean that all of your body processes go to sleep as well.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am always so jealous of all the people who have so little going on in their day that they can stop eating so early. I'm not even home from work at 7pm. Then there's everything else that needs to get done. I usually have dinner around 8 or 9 - or later.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't think it matters what time you eat but I wouldn't eat a large heavy meal just before going to bed. I think a small snack is fine though.
    I have dinner at 7 pm and got to bed around midnight or 1am.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't think it matters what time you eat but I wouldn't eat a large heavy meal just before going to bed. I think a small snack is fine though.
    I have dinner at 7 pm and got to bed around midnight or 1am.

Thursday nights I eat dinner (usually fast food) around 9:30 and go to bed at 11. Never had a problem.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't eat in my sleep, so I don't choke. Otherwise, a bulk of my calories are eaten in the evening because I prefer it this way.

Eat in a way that makes you feel best...your body functions 24/7, irregardless of when you eat.

I'm supposed to stop about 3 hours before lying down due to reflux, but I don't always.

Then you lie in the "what makes you feel best" ;P

Obviously, if it makes you feel yucky to eat so close to bed, dont.

The misconception that gets tossed around is "if you eat before you sleep you won't burn it off and it'll get turned to fat"

At least, that's what I've seen to nauseum on the boards.

If that were even remotely true, I'd have never lost 53 lbs. Or gotten to where I am now. I enjoy my Talenti pints watching anime right before bed and I'm not about to stop :wink:

Just had Talenti! Trying to decide to go back for 50 more grams with my remaining calories or not...

Must know flavor..... for science! :D my favorite is chocolate peanut butter cup and sea salt caramel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Those are my favorites too. I opted for the mediterranean mint for a little less cals. Not as good, but still yummy.

Mmmmmm, mint. I bought the gelato pops in that flavor and I think it's going to be my new thing. Tonight, though, was a Skinny Cow sandwich because I wanted to be a little conservative with my calories today.

They sell them in pop form? It's Talenti?

production_line-extension_talenti.jpg

I've had the sea salt caramel pop...at first, I was skeptical because there's only 3 small pops in there but.... OMG LOVE!!

I eat pints in sittings, so husband compromised with me.... Edy's pumpkin pie ice cream quarts...last me three days for the price of one Talenti xD

wobp1nqq7kvd.jpg

Yeah, the three pops for $5 is a concern. For ice cream bars, I had been eating Magnum Mini Double Caramel, which has nearly the same calories (190 vs 200) and come six to a box.

I need to find out if Edy's makes a Slow Churned Pumpkin Pie. All that takes up my freezer is that and Talenti!
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    To the OP: unless you have conditions like heartburn/acid reflux that affect you, it doesn't matter when you stop eating. Your body can't tell time.

This. I try to stop eating after 6:30 or 7 but that's purely due to the acid reflux. Before I was diagnosed I'd eat right up till bedtime and still lost weight just fine.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 7:30 am and 430 pm. I am insulin resistant and have thyroid issues. I can eat more calories and lose/maintain weight if I keep myself in a window like this. But if I am out with friends or on vacation etc, I don't sweat eating later. I just usually will see a fluctuation in my weight for a few days. If I make it a habit, I have to decrease my daily caloric intake to lose or maintain. I choose to eat more in a shorter time span :)
  • neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistance tooo
  • neekmichelle922
    Options
    I usually eat between 7:30 am and 430 pm. I am insulin resistant and have thyroid issues. I can eat more calories and lose/maintain weight if I keep myself in a window like this. But if I am out with friends or on vacation etc, I don't sweat eating later. I just usually will see a fluctuation in my weight for a few days. If I make it a habit, I have to decrease my daily caloric intake to lose or maintain. I choose to eat more in a shorter time span :)
    I have insulin issues toooo
  • neekmichelle922
    Options
    I stop eating before I turn the light off to sleep, but not always. I generally have my last small snack with my before bed reading. It's my nighttime ritual. Where did you get the idea that food sits in your stomach all night? Just because you are asleep doesn't mean that all of your body processes go to sleep as well.
    Because your body takes 6-8 hours for your food to even go thru the stomach line so if you sleep then yeah lol but i trust what u say thanks !
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I eat dinner at 6pm. For no particular reason. I'm just hungry at that time.

But your body doesn't stop working while you sleep. If it did, it means you're dead.

I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. That tells me that my liver is still working in my sleep. If my liver is still working, why wouldn't my digestive track be?

There's also a reason why you weigh at your lightest in the morning. Because you have digested most of (if not all) the food of the previous day during the night.

Just logic.
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat after 7 because the bulk of my calories does come with dinner and going to sleep with a very full stomach often makes me nauseous. Other than that, I try to lay off the sodium in the evening as to avoid waking up bloated and puffy.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was listening to The Gist podcast on Slate yesterday and they were discussing this study (have to pay for more than the abstract). The results of the study are that timing DOES in fact matter in weight loss. But it's not absolute (as in, eat by 7pm), but more as it aligns to your individual body clock (circadian timing).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19730426
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I stop eating different times each day. It all depends on the day. My husband and I eat dinner together no matter what. Sometimes it's at 6pm, sometimes it's at 10pm. It all depends when my husband gets out of work. He never has the same schedule!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I usually save enough calories for a nightly snack (usually ice cream or popcorn) and I have that around 9pm.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I try to make it a hard-and-fast rule to stop eating around the time I start snoring.