Do you feel bad/guilty when you miss a planned workout?

Options
I missed one on Tuesday b/c I got slammed at work.. Now I wish I had gone

Replies

• 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A bit, but then I get over it :)
    Sitting around feeling bad doesn't help. I relax, and work out another day.

I finished work early on monday, got into my gym gear, and starting walking to the gym, but then felt tired and hungry and just went home and ate ice cream in bed instead :#

Whoops.

Went to the gym last night though, and there's plenty more days in the week with gym going potential, so I'm not worried. I used to be super strict about gym days, but life happens, and if I'm gonna stick to this long term I need to be a bit more flexible.

I try and make sure I don't have too many skipped days in a row, as after a while it gets harder to get back into it, but generally I don't stress it :)
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel guilty every single time. I also feel guilty if I eat at all over my calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just change one, or more, of my other sessions to compensate.

If it's a speed session then I try to reschedule it, or build in an alternative like a longer distance. If it's a recovery run then I'll probably add the distance across a coupleof other recovery runs and my long run.

The main thing is to keep my weekly mileage up.
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If I don't work out I feel guilty and automatically feel like I am going to go back to the way I was. this is probably the biggest hurdle that I have.
  • runmathfast
    Options
    I often end up combining the two: great successful workout + great low calorie eating OR skipped workouts and bad junk food binge. Luckily these only last one day! In the end everything will balance out long-term so don't give up. Exercise is necessary to lose weight. The dang calories add up so quickly that you MUST exercise to eat more.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    no, I have not experienced guilt over missed workout. Regret over my calorie allotment being lower, for sure - but not GUILT.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not really, I don't feel guilty if I miss a workout, but I know I would feel better if I had have done it. But I always make up for it by pushing the rest of my workouts a day ahead and doing the one I missed, or doing 2 in the same day if I've the energy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Exercise is necessary to lose weight.

No it's not, but it does make achieving a calorie deficit more easily achievable and sustainable as it avoids a miserable existence.

Celorie deficit leads to weight loss, CV work helps endurance and capacity, resistance work helps retain lean mass, strength and injury risk mitigation.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    No, but I do feel disappointed. I don't try to compensate for it though.

Life happens.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I feel disappointed. I couldn't workout on Monday because my husband was in the ER. But at the end of the day, I know that life does happen and that I can always work out the following day. I was and am more concerned about my family.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I feel angry at myself.... there is no excuse for missing it. If I cant make it on time I should re-arrange it, but all to easily I skip one.

I will aim in the future not to be angry with myself, but to stick to the plan and re-arrange when necessary.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. It's extremely rare that I miss a workout. Usually when it happens, it's a choice I make because I really need a break for some reason so I don't feel guilty. Then there are days where I just can't fit it in (like yesterday when my two kiddos woke up before 6 and didn't nap and were just difficult to deal with all day...) and I feel guilty for missing it because it wasn't my choice, and I also feel like this would be the day where I needed it the most, to evacuate the stress of the day. So then I either feel bad about it, or I at least do a 25 minutes workout as soon as they're in bed. I don't like to workout at night though because it gives me energy when I should be cooling down and because it's the precious 90 minutes of "us time" for DH and I.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It depends on why I miss it. If I'm ill, injured, or so tired that I wouldn't drive a car, I feel no guilt at all. If it's because "I don't feel like it", definitely.
    Consistency in working out is one of the cornerstones of continuing to make progress.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Any more than 2 rest days per week and yes I feel guilty....I am a single mom who is also a special education teacher....exercising is my stress relief and my me time....I need it to stay sane :-)
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation last week and only worked out once, very guilty feeling
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I only feel remorse if I missed a workout that I could have gone to, but for lack of motivation I didn't. Luckily that has only happened once since March, and it wasn't due to lack of motivation, it was injury.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not anymore but I train a lot so I can always use an unexpected rest day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I give myself 24 hours to make up any workouts I miss.

I have 2 rest days planned each week. If I miss a workout day, guess what - that was my rest day - and my missed workout is now rescheduled.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    12pillows wrote: »
    A bit, but then I get over it :)
    Sitting around feeling bad doesn't help. I relax, and work out another day.

I finished work early on monday, got into my gym gear, and starting walking to the gym, but then felt tired and hungry and just went home and ate ice cream in bed instead :#

Whoops.

Went to the gym last night though, and there's plenty more days in the week with gym going potential, so I'm not worried. I used to be super strict about gym days, but life happens, and if I'm gonna stick to this long term I need to be a bit more flexible.

I try and make sure I don't have too many skipped days in a row, as after a while it gets harder to get back into it, but generally I don't stress it :)

^^^^ THIS!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty but because I love training, I sometimes get disappointed if I have to skip a session.