Do you feel bad/guilty when you miss a planned workout?

Options

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I used to. Now that I work out 7 days a week first thing in the morning I'm more consistent and the only time I "skip" is if I sleep in a bit (which is pretty rare). So now I think of a missed workout as a well-earned "rest" day.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I use to, but I just rework the week and use the skipped day as my rest day. I try to remember that I am not perfect, no one is, and as long as I keep that in mind I don't feel guilty.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty. I feel like I would feel if I missed a great concert or play, like, darn, I really wanted to do that and I missed out!
  • sus49
    sus49 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I lose more weight on the days I do not work out and only eat 1200 calories. I work out to eat more food and because usually it makes me feel better. But don't beat yourself when you let a day or two slide. There is not point to that at all. Just admit to yourself that you needed a rest and you took it! Good for you!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. It really depends on why I miss it. If it's because I'm not feeling well then no. I'd rather be home relaxing so I can get better quicker. If it's because I get home late from work and feel too rushed then yes. In those cases I get over it pretty quickly by making sure I go for a walk after dinner and combine it with a bit of a run. I figure I may not have gotten in my planned workout but at least I did something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    No, but I do feel disappointed. I don't try to compensate for it though.

Life happens.

this.

Sometimes I get frustrated b/c I know if I had just gotten up at 5 I would have gotten it done (I'm not a morning workerouter- but sometimes you gotta)... so usually it's irritation. Rather than guilt.
    -
    But we are all busy- we all have things to do- it happens. Press on- don't let it derail you.
  • michelle2016
    Options
    I always feel bad about it. I feel the worst when I made plans to do a short 10-15 minute long ab or yoga session at home and don't even do that. I emotionally beat myself up about it. On days when I don't leave my house (normally a weekend day) I end up telling myself, :"and this is why you're fat"
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not often, but I do try to make it up. For example, I missed my workout yesterday so took a walk instead and did the workout today. otherwise it's like a prescription: you just get yourself back on schedule and press on.

I don't believe it's helpful to beat myself up over it, because what's done is done (or not done), and we can only control what we do in the present and future.

Success looks more like a child's scribble than a straight line :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I never miss a planned workout. Hence the word "planned". :D:D I might have to alter it, though.
  • kingjethro
    kingjethro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've worked out daily for the past 12 years. I might miss a workout perhaps once a month due to a work conflict or an early morning appointment. When I miss, its not so much remorse...but I feely crappy and thus, I'm in a bad mood.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love riding and I love my sessions in the weigh room, so missing a workout can be a disappointment...but I don't feel "guilty". Life happens and missing a workout here and there is pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Thinking you're going to forever hit on every planned workout is pretty unrealistic...you have to be way more flexible than that...REALITY.

When I do miss, I try to make it up if I can, but I don't stress it...it's just one of many workouts and in the grand scheme of things, I'm hitting 99% of my workouts so who gives a *kitten* about missing one here and there.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    no, I have not experienced guilt over missed workout. Regret over my calorie allotment being lower, for sure - but not GUILT.

Is more about getting the weekly training done and I would feel maybe stressed not to accomplish-

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a self-imposed situation that can only be remedied by you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I missed one on Tuesday b/c I got slammed at work.. Now I wish I had gone

Then go make it up. you can do that, you're an adult.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    No guilt.

If I'm sick, I should be focused on getting better. And no one wants my germs anyway.

If I'm tired/don't feel like it, I'll either suck it up and go anyway (I'll dial back my workout if I'm just not feeling up to it), or I'll compensate over the next workout or two.

If I'm injured, I'll do as close to my regular workout as possible without risking screwing myself up further. Did that last week, actually. Took a tumble and sprained my wrist. Nothing too serious, but I couldn't grasp anything and bending it at all was really painful. So, I skipped the free weights and did as close to my usual workout as I could manage on the machines. With no need to stabilize a barbell or grip any handles, I could even do chest press. No seated overhead press, though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I hold no guilt towards missed workouts or indulgent meals.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling super guilty, I missed it on Monday and Tuesday and this is after I planned my workouts for the week! I'm going tonight though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on why. But on the whole I'm trying to both be consistent about my workouts (and I am at this point) and forgiving of myself if I don't get to one. Back when I started I struggled to get my then planned 5 days/week in and would far more often miss one or two due to poor time management or letting myself make excuses and that's something that I've made tons of progress on, but it came over time--working out has gradually become an important part of my life and something I prioritize that I don't miss unless I really don't feel well or there's a serious reason. But I also don't agree with those who might say that there's never a good reason--life happens, and that includes work just being unmanageably crazy on occasion.

Early on in this process I had a period of work craziness which at this point I'd probably manage to combine with workouts, but at that time I felt overwhelmed and decided that I would just give myself permission to take a week off and control what I could (i.e., sticking to my calories and logging). That helped far more than beating myself up or feeling guilty about not working out--in the past when I fell off like that and overreacted I would just decide that it wasn't working or I couldn't do it and blow everything for a while and have to start all over. Being more understanding of myself and just giving myself permission to take the time off within the context of the overall weight loss plan (or new lifestyle, if you prefer) was a major step in the right direction for me.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I used to feel guilty more often, but I don't skip planned workouts very often and it is usually for a good reason. The last one was injury, or pain anyway. I only plan one rest day a week, if another day happens, I am ok with that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not really. I adjust my schedule and factor it back in later in the week if its needed. I might get slighly annoyed with myself if I skived off a week, but generally am pretty good and focused so i neither take it too seriously nor do I let it slip so im missing enough to get guilty about. I am balancing of late whether its soemtimes better in the long run to miss a gym session because of being run down/ declining performance or potential injury.