panicking :(

Options
hummingbirdhope
hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
edited November 2014 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
so yesterday I was down to 104.5 lb (5'4 23 y/o f) and this morning im up to 106.5!! I ate 2500 calories yesterday though when I include my popcorn & cereal before bed binge... wtf?!

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's just water or waste. Seriously, you need to relax. For one, you're tiny. And, two, people can swing 5 pounds throughout the course of the week depending on how much sodium they eat and water they drink.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    I'm bothered because the last 2 weeks I've been maintaining 104.5-105 & I've had nights like this where I've eaten popcorn before bed and this doesn't happen...
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Its probably just waterweight from sodium, or not all the food has passed trough your system. Check again tomorrow and it probably will be down. Weight has a natural way of fluctuating during the week and even day :)

Edit:
    It doesnt have to be the popcorn, could be the sodium in your lunch or dinner too :) Dont stress over it, just dont eat lots of popcorn every night and you should be fine:)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I'm bothered because the last 2 weeks I've been maintaining 104.5-105 & I've had nights like this where I've eaten popcorn before bed and this doesn't happen...

Popcorn is salty. I can guarantee that the chances of you gaining legitimate weight from popcorn intake are slim.

Also, you are technically underweight. Do you have an eating disorder? How many calories are you eating a day?
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates naturally up and down a few pounds a day. Some people can flucuate 5-10 pounds within a few hours. Totally natural and normal. Stop panicking.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Math is your friend -- it's really not possible to add or lose any measurable fat based on individual (normal) meals and snacks. Remember that 3500 cals surpulus is necessary to equal a pound.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

Popcorn is salty. I can guarantee that the chances of you gaining legitimate weight from popcorn intake are slim.

Also, you are technically underweight. Do you have an eating disorder? How many calories are you eating a day?

I usually maintain on 1700 calories/day. activity of one barre class and going to school
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Math is your friend -- it's really not possible to add or lose any measurable fat based on individual (normal) meals and snacks. Remember that 3500 cals surpulus is necessary to equal a pound.

ah thank you. I always forget about this...I thought maybe over time it had caught up with me
  • PRMinx
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »

I usually maintain on 1700 calories/day. activity of one barre class and going to school

Ok. But I am concerned that you are obsessing given that you are a full point under the underweight marker on BMI. Do you see what I mean here?

Drink more water. Watch the salt. Most importantly, be honest with yourself about why you are obsessing.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    UmmSqueaky wrote: »
    Some people can flucuate 5-10 pounds within a few hours.

10 pounds in a a few hours?
    ][_ ([]) ][_
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I woke up 2 lbs heavier than, yesteday, too. Ugghh. Oh well, it was an intense leg day at the gym. I didn't have much water. The sky was blue. The sun was out. I'll drive on.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »

][_ ([]) ][_
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I woke up 2 lbs heavier than, yesteday, too. Ugghh. Oh well, it was an intense leg day at the gym. I didn't have much water. The sky was blue. The sun was out. I'll drive on.

Yes. I got on the scale yesterday before working out and drinking water and then aftewards. A +6lb difference in a matter of 2 hours.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You do understand that body weight isn't static right? Nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs. You have naturally fluctuating levels of fluids and waste in your body...you ate more than normal...ergo you likely had more waste in your system...also eating more causes more fluid retention and you probably topped off your glycogen stores.

Stop obsessing about an always fluctuating, completely arbitrary number...
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    I did read somewhere that an extra 400 mg of sodium can result in 2lb water weight
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    The scale can go back n forth from day to day. It's nothing to panic about. If you get on the scale first thing in the morning, before eating anything, and at the end of the day you'll notice a big difference. B)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its fine. I swear.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same weight as you (104.4 today), but shorter at 4'11". My weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs all the time in either direction. I keep track of my sodium really close and sometimes it takes up to two days after a high sodium day to go down in weight again (while maintaining the same calorie goal). I wouldn't worry about it for one day, but if you notice you're steadily increasing in weight over time and no longer maintaining at your ideal weight, you probably want to look at the amount of calories you're eating vs. activity level.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    The scale can go back n forth from day to day. It's nothing to panic about. If you get on the scale first thing in the morning, before eating anything, and at the end of the day you'll notice a big difference. B)

I always get on the scale same time of day...really just hoping it was just too much popcorn & sodium
  • jawad_seehar
    jawad_seehar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i m looking for friends..it would be helpful and motivational if you have friends around trying to lose weight just like you are. thanks
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    jbach2 wrote: »

][_ ([]) ][_
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes. I got on the scale yesterday before working out and drinking water and then aftewards. A +6lb difference in a matter of 2 hours.

Easily in my case. I have had swings of 8 lb. in a few hours due to carbo loading, exercise, and mild dehydration.

One thing to keep in mind: a stored gram of carbs (not fat, i.e. easily available as glycogen) is retained with 4 grams of water. I can burn at a good clip 700-800 Cal for 4 hours. That's 200 g of carbs + 800 g of water. 2 pounds, if you don't replenish them by eating and drinking while working out.

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    panicking over a 2 pound weight gain is silly. Especially at the weight you're at. stop obsessing.