Fiber- Does Anyone Get Enough?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I easily get 25-35g a day eating vegetables, having cacao powder and a little dark chocolate.. I rarely have fruit and don't supplement. No beans or lentils either. So it's very possible just by getting your carbs from veggies.

Yep!! ^^^^^
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    @tennisdude2004
    Soluble also feeds your gut flora and as a majority of your immune system is located near the gut, that's not a bad thing.

Also too much insoluble fibre can actually cause constipation issues!

I think this is where my system is getting it wrong, I have tried to deal with my bloat/relief cycle with foods plus Metamucil and and have very inconsistent results. Its been suggested that probiotics might be something I need to investigate to help me.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't hit enough - because I am trying not too eat too much fruit (sugar) and too many veggies up my carbs too much. So I take a fibre supplement of 9grams per day, and then I am pretty much hitting the 20gr.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I go way over my goal every day. I always have a serving of pumpkin seeds for a snack. They have a whopping 11g fiber, 11g protein and 15g iron. They are delicious and the effort it takes to eat them keeps me occupied. I also love to eat chia pudding prepared with light coconut milk and fruit for breakfast. It's so easy and delicious. There are many recipes on Pinterest.
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    how do you guys NOT get enough fiber???

Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    psyllium husk
    VEGETABLES AND FRUITS
    pumpkin/squash
    hemp protein powder (or any plant based protein powder)
    Whole grains (brown rice, freekah, spelt, barley, quinoa, couscous...)

i generally get 35g+ of fiber a day when i have 1400.
  • amyjoi16
    amyjoi16 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have a fiber tracking component? It does not show up in my diary?
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    amyjoi16 wrote: »
    Does MFP have a fiber tracking component? It does not show up in my diary?

you have to change it in your diary settings
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Click on the "Food" tab, then "Settings", and you can tweak your nutrients tracked to include fibre. I've done that to track fibre, rather than sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I usually do get plenty, but:
    Chia seeds
    Flax seeds
    psyllium husk

Don't see any reason to eat any of this.
    VEGETABLES AND FRUITS

Yup, that's where most of mine come from, but some of it (especially some of the veggies, which disappointed me when I first realized) don't have as much as you might think or the entries are incomplete.
    pumpkin/squash

?? I eat lots of this lately (it's November) so checked, and the entry I have for winter squash says 3 grams of fiber for 110 grams. Is this wrong and it's really some kind of super fiber source or are you referring to the seeds or something?
    hemp protein powder (or any plant based protein powder)

No thanks.
    Whole grains (brown rice, freekah, spelt, barley, quinoa, couscous...)

Some of this has a lot, some not so much. I have 4 grams for a cup of rice, dry, which is a LOT of rice. My steel cut oatmeal has 4-5 grams for a serving.

But like I said, I'm not worried about it, or I might try more of the sources you mention. I just don't think it's weird that people might not.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    One cup of cooked green peas: 134 calories, 25 carbs, 9 fiber, 9 protein. This is my go-to plan when I haven't gotten enough in my day.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    I consistently do NOT get enough fiber in my diet. I know I can do better with my food planning to help but also considering using a supplement . What is your fiber goal, how do you eat/ingest enough?

40g is good for Women... it's not hard to reach if you're eating fruit and veggies and less food from a box. :) No I've never needed to add a supplement to get to 40g.
  • berrymak
    Options
    Try yam noodles! They contain almost negligible calories but with loads of fibre. I love putting them in miso soup with some seaweed and tofu.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I shoot for around 30 grams but average more like 20, and I eat a lot of whole foods. It's something I'm coming to pay more attention to, as more science comes out about beneficial gut bacteria being good for a whole range of stuff involving immunity, mood, and even weight control. I've been on a lot of antibiotics in the past due to nearly dying from an infection after a surgery, plus having near-chronic bronchitis as a teen. It's taken a long time to restore my gut flora, and I'd like to keep them happy.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    my partner says I get too much :lol:
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try to consult your nutritionist on the amount of fiber is needed by your body. Supplements can be your second option. It should be part of a healthy lifestyle. Most health care experts would rather advise eating a pear or a handful of raisins instead of taking a supplement. Getting your fiber need with food is more satisfying. Supplement is also a great way to improve the overall quality of your diet if you still lack the fiber and nutrients needed by the body.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over, just fruit and veg and brown rice/pasta/bread.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I get picked on for how much salad I typically eat. I know I hit my fiber for the day! Haven't been a saint lately, and I feel it - for sure!
    Bought two bags of salad at the market tonight. Those'll last me about 2 days and I'll be back on track. :)
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    easy to get enough fiber. eat more vegetables, nuts, fruits - natural foods, get rid of the "fillers" in your diet that are high carb but low-fiber
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you put in the salad, though. A cup of spinach plus a cup of kale only give me about 2 grams.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    Do you have a good result with Probiotics? How many billion are enough to take?