Chinese buffet tomorrow night and I am dreading it

Options
Going to my favorite Chinese all you can eat buffet tomorrow night with friends. I am dreading it because I know I am going to binge to the point of bursting. I can't resist the egg rolls, the salt and pepper shrimp, beef and onions and the dim sum, just to name a few. And, oh my goodness, the fried shrimp in panko crust and the fried chicken wings. No to mention the fried rice and sautéed noodles. I won't be able to resist overeating. It's been so long since I have had these that I am already dreaming about them for the past 2 days.

Any suggestions to help me stay the course, or should I just eat my hearts content. It is not as if I do this everyday. In fact it has only occurred 1 time in the past 3 months.

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    have a small/moderate portion of all your faves, eat up with the veggies. Moderation is key. And don't "binge to the point of bursting". Don't eat to the point of discomfort, eat slowly, savor your meal, stop when you are satiated, not "bursting".
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm going to run into a similar situation next month just before Christmas (my family has this tradition of going to a Chinese buffer for christmas eve dinner mostly because my grandmother loves Chinese food, it makes her happy). Anyway, what I plan on doing is eating things in moderation. I will log everything I eat and do my best not to go over but if I do then make sure I stay within my maintenance calories.

You've mentioned how much you love it, rather than binge on all of it, maybe you can try eating at maintenance for tomorrow so you can enjoy it a little more but still try to keep things in moderation. (basically don't eat 10 egg rolls, 30 wings, etc....)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: You say "it's been so long since I have had" Chinese buffet? It's NOT going to be as good as you remember. Sad (or happy?) but true. Have one piece of a few of your favorites and fill up the rest of the plate with veggies.

Your tummy (and, um, the rest of your digestive tract) will thank you for your moderation. True story, spoken from a place of experience ;)
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would say don't go. those types of places generally make bulk quantities of food, usually fried in the wrong types of oils and are just really not healthy. And, I know what it's like to load up on plate after plate because it tastes so good... but is it really worth it?

Does it have to be that restaurant? why choose an all-you can eat place if you want to limit the quantity of what you're eating? Why not instead look for someplace that would offer less food, but higher quality?

Just my 2 cents.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low-carber, but if it were me faced with a Chinese buffet (any buffet, really), I'd avoid breaded stuff, desserts, fruit, etc, and load up on meat and veg. You'll save a lot of calories without feeling too restrictive.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try to pre-log as much as you can, drink LOTS of water and most importantly, enjoy it!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water today and tomorrow to help with gaining water weight and to help keep you full. I'd try to have only a bit of the fried stuff and have lots of veggies. I usually do an extra workout and/or keep my calories low the rest of the day.

Have fun and YUM! That sounds soooo good!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    One day in 3 months isn't going to hurt you. Log it as best as you can and enjoy.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One day will not hurt! Eat!!! Enjoy it!! And get right back on the horse the next day!!
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip: You say "it's been so long since I have had" Chinese buffet? It's NOT going to be as good as you remember. Sad (or happy?) but true. Have one piece of a few of your favorites and fill up the rest of the plate with veggies.

Your tummy (and, um, the rest of your digestive tract) will thank you for your moderation. True story, spoken from a place of experience ;)
    I really wish this was true for me! For some reason the Chinese buffet is always just as good as I remember it! Lol! So is pizza and French fries and hot dogs! Lol! I just don't eat them as much or as often, but they are always just as good! Lol!!!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    We have one near our home that I like. They have Sushi as well. I'm getting better at Portion control, but I always overeat when we go there and feel like shlt afterwards. Luckily, we only go there about 3 times a year.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Before you go, eat an apple and a cup of low cal soup.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    One day in 3 months isn't going to hurt you. Log it as best as you can and enjoy.

this is the best advice! Along with don't eat to the point of bursting. That just makes you miserable. Also, instead of a buffet, why don't you go to a sit-down Chinese restaurant and just order your favorite dish? You get your favorite without the temptation of repeatedly going to the buffet line.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    PIG OUT!, just work it off before or after. pretty easy.
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    By the sounds of it, this is something you're really looking forward to (dreaming of it, i know the feeling though) so I think you should just enjoy it, and log whatever you can remember - and don't panic about seeing all the red numbers! Just get back on track the next day. It's sad to deny yourself and 'dread' this occasion - if you go there feeling guilty you aren't going to enjoy it at all!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Start with a big pile of Broccoli and beef.
    Then something else with meat and veg.
    Then egg drop soup
    Then some watermelon
    Then one thing you're craving.
  • tveskild
    tveskild Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this tool from Weightwatchers.. you just drag items to a plate and it calculates it for you.. it always helps to know in advance
    http://www.weightwatchers.ca/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=51551
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    LOL I LOVE this!! I'll tell you why is because Chinese Food is completely westernized at these places and it is NOT what the Chinese eat!! Its so hard to go to an all you can eat place and NOT feel the need to 1-be in the moment with friends, 2-succumb to the temptations of the food that's in front of you and 3-revert to old eating habits. SO, my suggestion is WAY off from what everyone else is saying because I know this firsthand. ASK the waitress for something not on the Buffet!! They will make you, if you ask, for vegetables or food the way THEY eat it!! Seriously!! The people who work the Chinese restaurant, if they're authentic Chinese, WILL NOT eat off the buffet EVER with the exception of the rice! OUR food is too fat, salty, and processed. So good luck and ASK for something off the menu citing special diet like they eat without all the processed stuff.
    Otherwise, cave for the day and just control what you eat but really when a smorgasbord sits in front of you, it's hard not to pig out!