Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Order the Cream of Sum Yung Gi.
    Delish!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LianaG1115 wrote: »
    LOL I LOVE this!! I'll tell you why is because Chinese Food is completely westernized at these places and it is NOT what the Chinese eat!! Its so hard to go to an all you can eat place and NOT feel the need to 1-be in the moment with friends, 2-succumb to the temptations of the food that's in front of you and 3-revert to old eating habits. SO, my suggestion is WAY off from what everyone else is saying because I know this firsthand. ASK the waitress for something not on the Buffet!! They will make you, if you ask, for vegetables or food the way THEY eat it!! Seriously!! The people who work the Chinese restaurant, if they're authentic Chinese, WILL NOT eat off the buffet EVER with the exception of the rice! OUR food is too fat, salty, and processed. So good luck and ASK for something off the menu citing special diet like they eat without all the processed stuff.
    Otherwise, cave for the day and just control what you eat but really when a smorgasbord sits in front of you, it's hard not to pig out!
    My Chinese buffet would laugh at me. :D
    They only do buffet.

But yes, it's not very "Chinese". Granted, most Chinese folks I know will find something to eat off the buffet.

You're right, though, there's nothing better than real chinese food (Or real mexican, or real italian....)
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL I LOVE this!! I'll tell you why is because Chinese Food is completely westernized at these places and it is NOT what the Chinese eat!! Its so hard to go to an all you can eat place and NOT feel the need to 1-be in the moment with friends, 2-succumb to the temptations of the food that's in front of you and 3-revert to old eating habits. SO, my suggestion is WAY off from what everyone else is saying because I know this firsthand. ASK the waitress for something not on the Buffet!! They will make you, if you ask, for vegetables or food the way THEY eat it!! Seriously!! The people who work the Chinese restaurant, if they're authentic Chinese, WILL NOT eat off the buffet EVER with the exception of the rice! OUR food is too fat, salty, and processed. So good luck and ASK for something off the menu citing special diet like they eat without all the processed stuff.
    Otherwise, cave for the day and just control what you eat but really when a smorgasbord sits in front of you, it's hard not to pig out!

How does one become authentic Chinese??? What makes a chinese person unauthentic??? I didnt know that the food you eat could change your race and nationality? Hmmm....... I know a family from China that own one of my favorite restaurants and they eat the food there all the time. But you are right its not the same the food is Americanized. I have had Chinese dishes and they are very different than a lot of what you will see at the buffet.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I love when ppl think you can just "work it off." um no, I would have to work out for 8 hours straight to burn that mess off. A normal workout only burns a small fraction of a pigout like that.
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the Chinese buffet. If I am planning on going I try to "save" extra calories in the days before. I also try to run an extra mile or 5 to earn more calories. lol I know I am going to splurge and I LOVE every second of it. I just log the best I can and enjoy!!! The next day I am usually still full until noon and end up eating much lighter for a few days. But that's the one place that I cannot eat in moderation in quite the same way. I don't go crazy and still try to choose healthier options (for the most part), but I know I won't entirely give up my favorites. I go there knowing that I will probably eat at least 1300 calories for that one meal, probably more since I'm not sure how accurate portions and log entries are.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    One day in 3 months isn't going to hurt you. Log it as best as you can and enjoy.

agree completely. It isn't an everyday thing, just enjoy it and eat what you like.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    dltoler wrote: »

How does one become authentic Chinese??? What makes a chinese person unauthentic??? I didnt know that the food you eat could change your race and nationality? Hmmm....... I know a family from China that own one of my favorite restaurants and they eat the food there all the time. But you are right its not the same the food is Americanized. I have had Chinese dishes and they are very different than a lot of what you will see at the buffet.

My wording is off kinda and being at work on the phones doesn't really let me process my thoughts in whole but when I say "authentic" I say that because sometimes you get a NON Chinese wait person, someone who is not of Chinese heritage OR who is Chinese by culture but has grown up in the American society, if that makes more sense.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Whatever you do, you should choose to be in control of it. You *could* resist overeating if you choose to do that. You could choose to stop before you are bursting. You could take a few bites of your favorites instead of a few plates. It kind of sounds to me like you have already decided you want to binge. If that is true, you could own it, log it in advance, see what it does to your goals for the day/week/month and if you are OK with it, then go forth and ENJOY. The worst possible combination is overeating AND feeling guilty, takes away all the joy of the food and you still lose your progress for the day/week.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Try to pre-log as much as you can, drink LOTS of water and most importantly, enjoy it!

Absolutely agree! Make sure to drink water before you go, while you're there, and once you get home. Chinese buffets are notorious for lots of sodium.

And honestly, enjoy yourself. You are there to enjoy a meal with friends. Slow down, be an active part of the conversations, and feel awesome :)

• AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    tveskild wrote: »
    Try this tool from Weightwatchers.. you just drag items to a plate and it calculates it for you.. it always helps to know in advance
    http://www.weightwatchers.ca/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=51551

Great application. I love it
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    mmerry5 wrote: »
    I love the Chinese buffet. If I am planning on going I try to "save" extra calories in the days before. I also try to run an extra mile or 5 to earn more calories. lol I know I am going to splurge and I LOVE every second of it. I just log the best I can and enjoy!!! The next day I am usually still full until noon and end up eating much lighter for a few days. But that's the one place that I cannot eat in moderation in quite the same way. I don't go crazy and still try to choose healthier options (for the most part), but I know I won't entirely give up my favorites. I go there knowing that I will probably eat at least 1300 calories for that one meal, probably more since I'm not sure how accurate portions and log entries are.

I agree. I will try not to gorge myself, but as this is a rare occurrence, I will enjoy myself, log in advance what I think I will be eating, and if I eat more, so be it. As an American expat living on the French Swiss border, the Chinese cuisine is not quite as greasy as that in the US, and the different plate options are not as many. Still.....
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    have a healthy meal an hour or so before you go, and drink lots of water. then at the buffet, load a small plate with veggies and a small portion of couple of your favorites. eat slowly, and drink plenty of water/tea. when your plate is empty, sit and chat with your friends for a few minutes to get a feel for how full you are, and if you're still hungry, have more veggies.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! It's one outing that doesn't happen very often, so don't sweat it :)
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Before you go, eat an apple and a cup of low cal soup.

This^
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The Chinese buffet here has sushi, peeled shrimp, rice, meats, and some other things that aren't bad. Try sticking to mostly those types of things and just have one serving of the thing you crave most. Stick to one plate full. That way, you get a treat, but don't go overboard.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "its one time" and "enjoy yourself" team. One night and one meal will not hurt you.

Moderation is key
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Order the Cream of Sum Yung Gi.

Thanks Wayne lol
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I say you go and enjoy yourself. Do an extra gym session before.

Beware though, I was eating fairly low on the fat scale and then I ate a bunch of beach french fries and it totally messed up my tummy.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I went to a buffet last weekend for a friends daughter's party. first time in a year.
    I ate what I wanted (until full) and moved on.
    one day is not going to undo everything up to this point - as long as it isn't one day every week!