Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    <<<< that's what I do B)
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I always plan ahead, Google search for nutrition facts or enter the restaurant in the database and see what pops up. If nothing, then I stick with meat, veggies and wine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eating out isn't bad. You just have to know where in downtown to go

All service facilities are expected to be clean and tidy for your dining pleasure.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If I am having a more mindful meal out, I look for something that is chicken, steak or fish, and have it with potatoes and plenty of vegetables. I tend to not worry too much about a little butter. I am not into pasta, lasagne or things like that anyway.

If it is a more special occasion or I feel like letting loose, I have pizza or sometimes half a roast chicken with baked potato and corn cob or somesuch, or a pie or omelette with chips (fries) and dessert.

• slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Just like previously mentioned by jorocka. After some time at playing this counting game wheather it's for calories, carbs, proteins, fats sugars, etc. Eventually you just build up a "good sense of awareness" Obviously anything you know is deep fried or sweet and saucy is not going to have a good nutritional profile. It's great to be goal driven but it's ok to enjoy life time to time and not let things like this consume you unless it's an everyday affair.

but if all fails than take your time eating allowing your food to settle and reach that point of satisfaction. It's easy to say and hard to do because when it taste sooooo good.... well you know.

I can say this for sure. most places offer desserts which can actually be ideal to be split into two servings. So if you get something for yourself, remember to share, and spare yourself from guilt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Accept that you won't be able to determine the calories with any real accuracy (I'm assuming non chain place).

What I do depends on the type of restaurant, but usually I try to find an entrée that is meat and vegetables, and where the meat is grilled or roasted, etc. I often have fish or shellfish, but it really depends on what looks good. I assume that they add a lot more butter than I would. I also look at the portion sizes and try to eat the same kind of portion I would at home and take the rest home or just leave it. If there's a starchy side like rice or potatoes I use moderation (in Asian restaurants I often am very sparing with the rice or skip it, since I don't care about rice so don't need calories from it). That kind of thing. Oh, and I don't eat the bread on the table unless it's really special and I take the calories into account when deciding what's a reasonable amount of everything to eat.

I actually go out quite a bit--once or twice a week most weeks I've been doing this--and it hasn't hurt my weight loss at all.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain I look up calorie values before I go, then I try to get something sensible (salad, chicken, salmon). And since I'm going to lunch today, my breakfast consists of a cup of yogurt only, so I can have some more calories to work with.
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I look up the menu online before I go and decide what to eat from there. If they don't have nutrition facts, I just try to order smart. I know that 1 meal won't break all my hard work so I'll let it be a bit of a splurge. If I do eat over my calories, I'll do a little extra in my next workout to put my mind at ease.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm a picky eater, so I always am asking for special considerations. Luckily in NYC restaurants are used to this. I remember when asking delis to scoop out a bagel was strange, now it's a non issue. The worst time I had was in California, where I thought anything goes, but they were not at all at ease with changing how things were prepared.

Also, almost every place here has calorie counts on the menu.

The one thing I don't understand is why senior residences (where my mom was) serve half and half with their coffee. It's almost universal.

As opposed to ... ? Half-and-half is the default around here except at a coffee shop or high-end restaurant where they don't assume.

If that were my mother, she'd be complaining bitterly about the half-and-half. She only accepts heavy whipping cream in her coffee.