How Do You Drink Your Coffee?

Options
PepperWorm
PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
I'm looking for ways to drink my coffee without breaking the caloric bank. (I mean, I want most of my calories going into my food, not my coffee, y'know?) Trying to avoid buying coffee creamer because of the insane amount of ingredients in it. I never think 2 tablespoons are enough either. I'd rather avoid cane sugar/fake sugar as well.

This morning, someone here turned me on to pumpkin pie spice-ing (allspice, cinnamon, ginger and clove) with some agave syrup. That brings the grand total to 60 whole calories for my cup. Not counting alittle of my half cup skim milk to it as well for that extra creaminess. It was actually pretty tasty!

So...what creative ways do you drink YOUR coffee? And don't say black. I'm sorry, but I like flavor in my coffee!!

Replies

• laurenc42
    laurenc42 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was going to say black. But i guess I won't. I drink way too much coffee. Have completely come to like it black. I probably drink a pot a day.
  • trured72
    trured72 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I drink my 2 1/2-3 cups with 1 1/2 Tbsp of any flavored creamer with half a packet of Splenda. An depending on the flavor of the creamer I skip the Splenda altogether.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What about a flavored coffee? Like the brews with hazelnut or pumpkin spice infused in the beans. Those don't seem to have many more calories than regular, and then you can just add a little skim milk?
  • band1998
    band1998 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a dislike of black coffee as well. I'm a nursing mother, so I refuse to put splenda or any other sugar substitute in. So far, I just put 2 tablespoons of coffee creamer and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I like the idea of pumpkin pie spice. How many calories are in the agave, because I heard that it isn't any different from regular sugar? I would like to see some more suggestions, because I only have 2 more months of nursing my baby and then I really have to watch my calories=-)
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have made myself tolerate my coffee black as a general rule. But while on a trip this weekend I indulged in a cup with a pack of Stevia, some half & half, and a few dashes of nutmeg....yummy
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I used French Vanilla Coffeemate. After a few months of seeing how many calories I was drinking, I replaced that with Half and Half. Over the next year I slowly reduced the amount I was using. I recently replaced Half and Half with Almond Milk which has way fewer calories and no saturated fats.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    How many calories are in the agave, because I heard that it isn't any different from regular sugar?

All of my calories came from the agave. Agave has a different taste from cane sugar and I think it's a little better in comparison. Maybe I'm wrong or biased. I didn't count any calories from the spices either...I only did dashes of each and I wasn't gonna try to measure that nor do I feel I need to.

I also loved the idea of buying the infused coffees...only I wish they weren't so expensive! Might still try it anyway. :)
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Just with a little skimmed milk or sometimes a cappuccino, no sugar.
  • marulm
    marulm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    With almond milk. I sometimes drink coffee hot, so I will warm the almond milk slightly before adding the coffee, but most days I brew a strong pot and refrigerate in mason jars for iced coffee. Every morning I drink a large glass of water first, then have my iced coffee, almond milk and stevia, about 2/3 coffee and 1/3 almond milk. One whole cup of almond milk is only 30 calories.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Black, no sugar.
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Black, no sugar. Has to be good coffee though.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Black, no sugar.

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    cappucino, mostly.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was going to say black. But i guess I won't. I drink way too much coffee. Have completely come to like it black. I probably drink a pot a day.

Same here, I've been drinking it that way for years.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    With almond milk. I sometimes drink coffee hot, so I will warm the almond milk slightly before adding the coffee, but most days I brew a strong pot and refrigerate in mason jars for iced coffee. Every morning I drink a large glass of water first, then have my iced coffee, almond milk and stevia, about 2/3 coffee and 1/3 almond milk. One whole cup of almond milk is only 30 calories.

How freakin cool! I take care of my dad and he brews a whole pot of coffee in the morning, but he never drinks it all. I always resent having to pour half a pot down the drain 'cuz he won't drink anything but fresh. I should just cool it and save it (maybe in a pitcher?)

I never knew almond milk was so low in calories either. May have to check it out!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Also black, unless its super strong or really *kitten* coffee then I throw a little skim in there
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    black with seetener or
    milk and vanilla protein powder makes nice fake vanilla latte. I make mine with 100ml milk and 10g protein powder, it's 90 kcal and12 g protein
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I used to always drink my coffee with milk but found I was always going over on my sugar for the day. So I weened myself off and started using unsweetened almond milk - different, but I have gotten used to the taste. It's not that bad (I'm drinking it right now hehe)!

When I make myself an espresso latte at home with almond milk, I will usually add a tiny bit of honey as it tastes a bit harsher using the steamer for some reason.

Coffee drinkers unite!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Hot, black and on the table.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    hot with a splash of skim milk. I've been switching to almond milk. about a tablespoon of it. I use truvia or stevia instead of sugar when I want it sweet but even that is rare.