I just registered for a marathon next month. Help

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I'm not even doing a marathon or half marathon training plan but I was talked into doing a marathon next month. What should I do? How do I get prepared?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    A full marathon?
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Yeah. All 26.2 miles of it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Pray.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    well...first things first. how far are you running right now? weekly mileage? long run?

if none or little, then you might survive on a galloway run/walk type plan...run easy a minute or so then walk a certain number or minutes...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    But legit, what's your current running schedule?
  • Greenkiwis
    Greenkiwis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    A month is not enough time to prep for a marathon if you're starting from scratch, you can really damage your body. But if you're already running a substantial amount, I would make sure you do a "long run" that gets increasingly longer once a week before the marathon. Maybe 16 miles, 17 miles, 19 miles and 20 miles?
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    I did a 16.6 mile run last weekend and 42 miles total for the week. I'm just running for fun. Also I've never done anything longer than about 18 miles. I'll do that again this weekend but am I really prepared? The race is December 14th.
  • w117seg
    w117seg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can finish if you've done 16 miles recently; you can probably get in another good long run a couple weeks before the race (18-20 miles) but I'd make sure to take it easy and not run it too hard. You've got this!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    can-stock-photo_csp18683800.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
  • bob108819
    bob108819 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You've got this. I'm doing my first full Dec 13 and you are ahead of me. I ran 16 last week and am doing 18 this weekend. If you can do that now you will be fine. I'm just hoping for good weather on race day!
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm sure you can finish if you've done 16 miles recently; you can probably get in another good long run a couple weeks before the race (18-20 miles) but I'd make sure to take it easy and not run it too hard. You've got this!
    Yep. From here on out I plan on doing my longer runs nice and easy. This will be my first full. I think I can do it but I've never done it so it's an unknown.

• skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I ran my 1st full last month and the longest I had ever ran before that was 14 miles and that was several months before. I was super slow but just go and have fun! I am hooked now!
  • athensguy
    Options
    I'd increase your long run each weekend by a couple miles until three weeks before the marathon, so two weekends before the marathon without a really long run. Mid-week medium long runs can help a lot, too. I used the Pfitzinger book Advanced Marathoning to prepare before. You could get that and pick up the Under 55 miles plan and follow it until your marathon.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    yeah you are set. with 42 mpw and already a 16 mile long, you should be good. I would hop into a plan of your choice and continue on!
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    I was planning on doing a 18 this weekend, then a 20, then a 16, a 20, and then taper. Only time will tell how this works out. It's that last 6.2 miles I'm worried about. It will be a new distance. I've never had a new distance on race day before.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    i never run over 20-22 in training. this past cycle, my longest was 21 I think and I had a 20 min PR on the course with 1000+ft climb over my previous best. you will be good! remember to start slow. I ran my halves at 1:37/1:35. I kept telling myself to slow in the first 13.1 and then got faster in the last half. 20 miles warm up followed by a 10k race!
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    i never run over 20-22 in training. this past cycle, my longest was 21 I think and I had a 20 min PR on the course with 1000+ft climb over my previous best. you will be good! remember to start slow. I ran my halves at 1:37/1:35. I kept telling myself to slow in the first 13.1 and then got faster in the last half. 20 miles warm up followed by a 10k race!

Okay, I love this advice. I'll make that my motto.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Already dead.