Treadmill Tips

Options
I'm looking for any tips to make the treadmill a better experience. I started running in July with C25K, finished the program in September and have continued running 3 days/week (2-3 miles). I pretty much always run outside but with it getting dark early and colder weather we have purchased a treadmill. I just have a hard time with it, feel that dread when I started running. I can run outside for three miles in about 32 minutes but feel done after ten on the treadmill. Would appreciate any advice! I just got back on Fitness Pal today, thank you!

Replies

• jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's probably due to the boredom aspect of running on the treadmill. When you run outside, you have changing scenery and varying terrain. It's actually said to be "harder" to run outside, having changing weather conditions (you always seem to run against the wind) and hills, etc. You're also self-propelling yourself when you run outside which works both your hips and hamstrings more.

Try to find something to keep yourself occupied while on the treadmill. Most gyms have TVs that you can watch, or bring your iPod and listen to some music. It will get easier, it's just going to take some time to get used to.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think the best way to improve a dreadmill experience is to get off and go for a run outside. You'd probably have been more cost effective investing in some cold weather running kit.

Personally I find that I can't use video or books on one, but lots of people suggest that's a way to deal with the problem of boredom.
  • DaniWhis
    DaniWhis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I feel you there! Running outside seems to go so much faster. haha... Music is a big one for me. It helps to pass the time. I have a treadmill at my home, and I'll also on occasion use my tablet to stream movies or shows while I run. I do love the treadmill for HIIT (as it's easier to track and adjust speeds/inclines), but I still prefer distance running outside.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A better treadmill experience in 3 easy steps....

1. Throw the treadmill in the bin
    2. Walk out to the road and then close your eyes
    3. Run and pretend you are on a treadmill

Will do you so much more good than on a treadmill....
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i do not like to run outside but love running on the treadmill. I plug some headphones into my phone and I have specific playlists that I use when I am at the gym. The gym also have TVs on the treadmill so I can chose to watch a program usually the news.
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started using the treadmill for the same reason…weather and dark outside. I break it up on TM by walking/running/incline…any combination. I also try to get outside on weekends for a good long steady run.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical for cardio and combat the boredom by watching TV on a tablet. I don't watch TV otherwise, so it's kind of a treat.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    One winter when I was running a lot on the treadmill I started watching the Breaking Bad series on Netflix. I found the show addictive, which added to my motivation to go run so I could catch the next episode :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm dreading having to run on the treadmill! With snow and ice, it's an inevitibility. Good for you folks that brave the elements but that's just not for me. I'm petrified of slipping and hurting myself (severely injured myself several years ago that way) so it's just not going to happen. I'll go outside as long as the pavement is clear then it's cross training and more strength training for me.

When I do get on the dreadmill in the winter, I do interval workouts. The big difference for me between running outside and on the treadmill is pacing. Outside you change your pace constantly but on the treadmill it's steady. Therefore, intevals can help keep that save variety in your run. Typcially I'll warm up walking, to a fast walk, then a high incline, then run, then walk, then incline, then run again, etc. Or I challenge myself with speed intervals or running at a good incline. Try to have fun with it by setting goals and working towards them. Having a window to look out of helps too, even though the scenery doesn't change, I prefer that over watching TV or a movie as part of running for me is being able to space out. Good music can help too.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go back outside. You won't die.
  • ogrin
    ogrin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I watch TV or read while on the treadmill.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Run from one song to the next. Usually, songs are about 7 minutes, so you should be done in 5 songs.

Side note, when I lived in Montana, I ran outside year-round, often before the sun came up - even at 50 below. I wore a balaclava over my head. I dressed warm, but not too warm. I drilled screws sideways through my shoes (outside of the soles) to grip the ice (never slipped). I'd often come home with bloody ankle though because I would occasionally clip the inside ankle with the opposite foot and the head of a screw would nick it. No biggie though. You get band-aids and are good to go. I would love running over the rims (Billings,MT) in snow up to my knees. It was a 10 mile loop. I loved it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    AnnaZimm70 wrote: »
    One winter when I was running a lot on the treadmill I started watching the Breaking Bad series on Netflix. I found the show addictive, which added to my motivation to go run so I could catch the next episode :smile:

^^ like this idea and use it myself to catch up on my favourite telly programmes...the time just flies it :)
  • thebza_x
    Options
    I watch tv while I run, I find it makes the time go quicker and I run further/faster. It's just the psychological effect of being distracted from what you're doing, which is probably why you find running outside easier too.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I run in intervals (nowhere near your speed!) and have a playlist that I've put together to match those. i have to change it up every once in a while but when one of those pump-me-up songs comes on it can really get me going.

Also, at my gym the treadmills look out at the basketball courts, soooo... I can usually find something distracting to watch. :)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I also heard of a "game" you can play on the treadmill. Write "run", "walk", and "jog" on the back of three note cards. Flip them face down and mix them up. Turn one over and do what it says for the next 5 minutes (or whatever time interval you want). That way, you don't know what's coming next. I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it might work.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Probably should have saved the money on the treadmill and invested instead in gear for running outside in the cold and dark.

But since you didn't... You may not be able to run the solid 30 minutes at a consistent pace without becoming bored. I make nearly all of my treadmill workouts speedwork or intervals because apparently 3 minutes is my attention span on the treadmill. It's better than nothing and will help you keep running... You should still try to get a long run in regardless--if you have to do it on the treadmill you might consider watching a television show or listening to a podcast or a digital book.
  • thebza_x
    Options
    I don't know about the OP, but I do know that where I live, running in the dark isn't just cold and miserable, it's pretty dangerous. Just for all the people talking about what she 'should' have done.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I do get on the dreadmill in the winter, I do interval workouts. The big difference for me between running outside and on the treadmill is pacing. Outside you change your pace constantly but on the treadmill it's steady. Therefore, intevals can help keep that save variety in your run. Typcially I'll warm up walking, to a fast walk, then a high incline, then run, then walk, then incline, then run again, etc. Or I challenge myself with speed intervals or running at a good incline.

^^^This. Whether I like/want to run at night or in the cold, sometimes it's just not possible. When I have to run on the treadmill, intervals work best for me too.

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I understand your view on the dreadmill. I feel the same way. The ONLY way I can handle it is doing interval work. And plus when I started doing that (to combat boredom), my speed increased for my 5k and 8k.