Can't squat. How to increase flexibility?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are lots of squat variations. Have you tried a few? Are you struggling with all of them.

All I can add on the flexibility bit is pilates has done wonders for me.

Balance was my problem - when I stated lifting I couldn't do back squats. There was a lot of scary wobbling going on there! My trainer had me try front squats instead - and I used one of those step aerobics steps to target how low my *kitten* should go (3 steps when I added weight - 2 when it wasn't so hard).

I made the switch to back squats when I was ready. I lowered the weight - and started again. But those weeks of a variation gave me a better sense of how to balance - and the confidence that I could do it. Now squatting ATG so well that the blokes at my gym have starting asking for tips. So I say find a squat that works for you (body weight, kettlebell, dumbbell, front, back - or many of the others out there). Build up from there.
    When that stops being enough - change things up.

TL:DR - lots of squat types out there. Find one that works for you. When it stops working try another one!
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I am finding using TRX straps is really good for supporting you doing exercises that require balance and flexibility. So you could (if your gym has them) grab the TRX with both hands and lower into the squat position, and it will support you. Do that a few times and I bet you will limber up in no time.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    One thing I've learned is that there is no "one right way" to do squats. Obviously you always want to keep your form clean, but everyone has a different form. Here's a really good article all about that:

themovementfix.com/the-best-kept-secret-why-people-have-to-squat-differently/

I also have tight hips and am constantly trying to improve my range of motion, so thanks to all of you who posted such helpful information!