So I discovered my fav cereal has trans fats....

Options
ahoier
ahoier Posts: 312 Member
Well.....it's not "listed" on the label.....BUT, skimming through the ingredients below that Nutrition Facts box......yep......Whole Grain Wheat, Sugar, Rice Flour, Canola Oil and/or Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil...........

So.....what's a MFP'er......to do.....? I say, we start flagging these in the database......but I noticed the site likes "rounding up" my nutrition edits......where as the app keeps them "as edited" - what gives.....?

I'm just wanting to "stay accountable" - according to the FDA's new labeling reqs.....as long as the "serving size" (in this case.....30 grams....or 3/4 cup.....) contains LESS THAN .5 grams of "Trans Fat" (that would be that partially hydrogenated soybean oil.....) they do NOT have to notate it within the Nutrition Facts box......

The sad thing is......who, only eats 30 grams of cereal.....? HAHA....well...I do.....BUT, besides the point.....for the "average joe or mary" - they could be getting 1-2 grams of TRANS FATS without even REALIZING it.......

Food for thought.......

Replies

• ahoier
    Options
    20141107_232943_1.jpg

20141107_233008_1.jpg

20141107_233036_1.jpg

#pix4truth
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Would eat!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Whole grain wheat tho, so it's healthy
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Whole grain wheat tho, so it's healthy

Lots of vitamins too!
  • ahoier
    Options
    That's what I'm getting at.....at first glance, it looks pretty healthy.....BUT when you get down to reading the ingredients.....it gets hairy.....Trans Fats are killer.....and there's a reason they are hiding them behind.

This isn't the only culprit.....Jif Peanut Butter is the same way.....so is Peter Pan peanut butter...at least the canisters I've ran into at Walmart.....all contain hydrogenated oils.....yet state 0g Trans Fat on the Nutrition panel.....
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    That's what I'm getting at.....at first glance, it looks pretty healthy.....BUT when you get down to reading the ingredients.....it gets hairy.....Trans Fats are killer.....and there's a reason they are hiding them behind.

This isn't the only culprit.....Jif Peanut Butter is the same way.....so is Peter Pan peanut butter...at least the canisters I've ran into at Walmart.....all contain hydrogenated oils.....yet state 0g Trans Fat on the Nutrition panel.....

What's a lethal dose?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't think you can flag things in the database; nor is that feasible. You would have to check every individual item, and even then, you get limited information in the database.

Just keep doing what you're doing; we all need to be responsible for what goes into our bodies, and that includes being mindful of labels. If people don't want to do that, we can't police them into doing so through flagging database entries (if that was even possible) and pushing that ideology onto them. If you want to avoid trans fats, by all means continue what you're doing and avoid things you don't want to eat.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I usually eat like 200g cereal ;/
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I stick to grape nuts with a banana.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I stick to grape nuts with a banana.

I just googled this because I've seen it around, and the name is very misleading.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

What's a lethal dose?

lol, Right!
  • ahoier
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you know what...if you don't want to eat it...DON'T. What you post here isn't going to stop anyone else from not eating it.

I'm not advocating not eating it in anyway....I believe this is just a flaw of:

1) the FDA....for allowing this "mis labeling" to go on....it's a law that has been "passed"
    2) myfitnesspal...there should be a way of modifying the foods in decimal increments, without the database automagically "rounding up" or "rounding down" to the nearest decimal....

That's the only reason I posted it.....not to stop people from EATING these foods....not at all...I'm still gonna be grubbing out on Peanut Butter! LOL that's for darn sure ;) And will still be eating this cereal....I'd just like MFP to "account" for the "minute" trans fats contained within said items......even if they do contain less than .5 grams of trans fat "per serving"
    What's a lethal dose?

I have no idea.....let me google it though....lol.

Well, couldn't find anything that points to a lethal dose lol.....but did find some news articles pointing out this "flaw"
    http://www.naturalnews.com/027445_fat_fats_trans.html
    I usually eat like 200g cereal ;/
    yep, it's understood. The "serving sizes" I'm sure are made, the way they are, so they can "hide" the trans fats from the Nutrition Facts panel.....if they made the serving size any "bigger" (say.....to actually fill the "cereal bowls" sold in the housewares department lol) they would have to notate the trans fats within.
  • Captain_Wobbles
    Captain_Wobbles Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had close to a quarter jar of skippy peanut butter today. I really hope i didn't reach the lethal dose of transfat. I was planning to knock out a few sets of heavy triples in a few hours. Can't really do them if i'm dead. :'(
  • missiontofitness
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yep, it's understood. The "serving sizes" I'm sure are made, the way they are, so they can "hide" the trans fats from the Nutrition Facts panel.....if they made the serving size any "bigger" (say.....to actually fill the "cereal bowls" sold in the housewares department lol) they would have to notate the trans fats within.

Or perhaps the serving sizes are based off of a balanced generalized 2,000 calorie diet, and an ounce of cereal is a reasonable serving size that the average person should and would be consuming?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    What's a lethal dose?

I have no idea.....let me google it though....lol.

Well, couldn't find anything that points to a lethal dose lol.....but did find some news articles pointing out this "flaw"
    http://www.naturalnews.com/027445_fat_fats_trans.html

I only saw one study. The results of that one were very careful to label it as speculation and they needed further studies to determine if there was a link.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Or perhaps the serving sizes are based off of a balanced generalized 2,000 calorie diet, and an ounce of cereal is a reasonable serving size that the average person should and would be consuming?

I dunno.... I'd rather eat like 8
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Well, you aren't an average person. You are an above average person with above average cereal needs.

You are the outlier.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well, you aren't an average person. You are an above average person with above average cereal needs.

You are the outlier.

How do you figure that?

In to figure out how Lol is a special snowflake.