So I discovered my fav cereal has trans fats....

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    ahoier wrote: »
    yep, it's understood. The "serving sizes" I'm sure are made, the way they are, so they can "hide" the trans fats from the Nutrition Facts panel.....if they made the serving size any "bigger" (say.....to actually fill the "cereal bowls" sold in the housewares department lol) they would have to notate the trans fats within.

Or perhaps the serving sizes are based off of a balanced generalized 2,000 calorie diet, and an ounce of cereal is a reasonable serving size that the average person should and would be consuming?

I dunno.... I'd rather eat like 8

Well, you aren't an average person. You are an above average person with above average cereal needs.

You are the outlier.

How do you figure that?

In to figure out how Lol is a special snowflake.

I majored in cereal with a minor in Wikipedia searches.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dude... double ellipsis all across... the... sky...
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    10/10 would eat. I want some right now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    lol.........yeah, trans fats aren't something you want to be consuming. The EU gets around it's guidelines by distinguishing between natural occurring and man made and has stricter content with .02 which pretty much restricts food imports from other Countries, the USA mostly. Also canola and soy oil have trace amounts of TF's without being partially hydrogenated, just in case you're a stickler.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buy organic cereal. Quite sure they don't have any.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    yep, it's understood. The "serving sizes" I'm sure are made, the way they are, so they can "hide" the trans fats from the Nutrition Facts panel.....if they made the serving size any "bigger" (say.....to actually fill the "cereal bowls" sold in the housewares department lol) they would have to notate the trans fats within.

Or perhaps the serving sizes are based off of a balanced generalized 2,000 calorie diet, and an ounce of cereal is a reasonable serving size that the average person should and would be consuming?

Well, you aren't an average person. You are an above average person with above average cereal needs.

You are the outlier.

Is this what my mother means when she calls me special?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    OP, your post did not seem like you were trying to stop anyone from eating anything.

Lots of items have the trans fats snuck in. It's no accident. The food companies are purposely trying to hide it. They aren't stupid. They know most people who want to avoid them will see the "Trans fat 0" on the label and be satisfied.

I'm not one to jump on the "Make Oreos illegal!!" bandwagon, but I do wish they'd be a little more honest about what is in the food they're selling.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    OP, your post did not seem like you were trying to stop anyone from eating anything.

Lots of items have the trans fats snuck in. It's no accident. The food companies are purposely trying to hide it. They aren't stupid. They know most people who want to avoid them will see the "Trans fat 0" on the label and be satisfied.

I'm not one to jump on the "Make Oreos illegal!!" bandwagon, but I do wish they'd be a little more honest about what is in the food they're selling.
    They're actually trying to get rid of them, but without legislation the wheel moves at pace.

• dbmata
    Options
    I'd like to just mention, seriously... freaked out over something called Cinnamon Crunch squares.

What next, omg captain crunch contains sugar?
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not asking anyone to boycott anything...just a "proposition" per se, to the MyFitnessPal Team and/or community. I'd like to propose notating .05g trans fats in products, if the product contains "hydrogenated fat/oil" in the ingredients, where the Nutrition Facts panel does not notate as such, due to this "flaw" by the FDA.
    dbmata wrote: »
    Dude, that sounds like an awesome band name. haha

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't really know why you're so surprised. It's cinnamon toast crunch. It's delicious but basically candy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    wrote:

this
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    wrote:
    the fark?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Not asking anyone to boycott anything...just a "proposition" per se, to the MyFitnessPal Team and/or community. I'd like to propose notating .05g trans fats in products, if the product contains "hydrogenated fat/oil" in the ingredients, where the Nutrition Facts panel does not notate as such, due to this "flaw" by the FDA.

The food database is significantly user inputted.
    Users get their info from the nutrition information on the side of the box.
    If it is not on the packaging, there is no way for people to know the exact amount in the item, or if there is even any in the item. There's no way to accurately do that, especially when many of the database entries are not inputted by MFP directly.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Sweetened cereals are a no no as far as weight loss goes in my book. I don't care if its with artificial sweetener. The thing is these processed foods do not train your palate towards more healthy eating but towards unhealthy eating.

The transfats, i wouldn't eat, but they are a side issue here for me. Its the sugar that's the ultimate killer.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

You are the outlier.

How do you figure that?

In to figure out how Lol is a special snowflake.

I majored in cereal with a minor in Wikipedia searches.

I tried to get into the program but it was full and Wiki didn't exist then so I was just SOL. :'(
  • SpamLamb
    SpamLamb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I stick to grape nuts with a banana.

I just googled this because I've seen it around, and the name is very misleading.

Misleading, perhaps, but eight shades of delicious. I was the only kid I knew who liked them. I was always told it was old people cereal.

Doesn't matter! Delicious flavor!
  • dbmata
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Dude, that sounds like an awesome band name. haha
    Truth.