Water

Options
Does drinking water (eg 2-3litres a day) make a difference to the speed of weight loss ? Does it stop water being retained thus better results?
Or, does it not ?
I hate drinking water

Replies

• scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes, drinking water is a great way of pushing out waste so to speak.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Water definitely helps in weight loss, but doesn't cause your body to lose weight on its own. Staying hydrated helps all of your body systems work efficiently, including those involved in metabolism and waste elimination. It also can make you feel more full and having a glass of water or zero (or near zero) calorie beverage to sip on can help with the oral fixation and tendency to frequently put something in your mouth, which is good for the frequent snackers among us (*raises hand). In the end, it is all about eating fewer calories than you burn up but water, and hydration in general, has a role in that.

I always keep something like water on hand and so far it hasn't hurt as I have lost 70 lb. since January.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of water myself, but I do find that it keeps me full so I'm less likely to snack throughout the day. I add flavor to my water (normally Crystal Light, but there are tons of other things out there, too). I also drink it in a 32 oz bottle with a straw. I think using a straw makes me drink more (that could be in my head, though). I am not sure if drinking water speeds up the weight loss, but it definitely helps cut down on mindless grazing which does help with weight loss.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Scientifically, no. There is no science backing up the long-held idea that drinking a certain number of glasses of water increases weight loss or is even needed. If drinking water keeps you from eating something instead, then you will lose weight not because you drank the water but because you did that instead of eating something with calories. Current recommendations are that you determine if you are sufficiently hydrated by noting the color of your urine, which should be straw colored or pale yellow. If it is bright yellow or darker you are not getting sufficiently hydrated. All water contributes to hydration, be it in drink or food. You need not drink plain water -- although it is one of the easiest ways to stay hydrated without consuming excess calories or other things for your kidneys to deal with.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Scientifically, no. There is no science backing up the long-held idea that drinking a certain number of glasses of water increases weight loss or is even needed. If drinking water keeps you from eating something instead, then you will lose weight not because you drank the water but because you did that instead of eating something with calories. Current recommendations are that you determine if you are sufficiently hydrated by noting the color of your urine, which should be straw colored or pale yellow. If it is bright yellow or darker you are not getting sufficiently hydrated. All water contributes to hydration, be it in drink or food. You need not drink plain water -- although it is one of the easiest ways to stay hydrated without consuming excess calories or other things for your kidneys to deal with.

+1

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Water will help you keep retention from sodium down, and it will help keep you from consuming drinks with calories. What matters after that is that you are in a calorie deficit, which is the most important part of losing weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does drinking water (eg 2-3litres a day) make a difference to the speed of weight loss ? Does it stop water being retained thus better results?
    Or, does it not ?
    I hate drinking water

Water keeps you hydrated, it fills your tummy if you are hungry but you are not sure if you want to/need to eat at that particular time, and it quenches thirst, but water does not have special properties in regards to weight loss. I drink loads of water and still have water retention, because that's normal.

If you don't like water, have you tried flavoring it? Some people use fruit juice.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Some say yes, some say no. All I know is it supposedly speeds up the metabolism, hydrates you, so you are not holding onto water.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I mean, and sorry this is TMI, I know, but my urine is always green (probably from citalopram) . It takes a lot of water, more than 2l to get me hydrated. It varies for each person.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I would say drinking water speeds up my metabolism. All that running to the bathroom - great aerobic exercise.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    " I hate drinking water " Same here. I don't really dislike water, I just never have the urge to drink it. (Unlike Coffee).
    I make it a point to force myself to try to drink at least 8 glasses a day. Much more with exercise.

Strictly anecdotal but I believe I lose weight quicker when I keep up the water intake.

• kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't need it to fill me up or stop me snacking. I can control my calories okay. I just wondered if scientifically I'll loose more or loose faster if I drank water as well. I just don't enjoy it and I understood by adding even sugar-free squash (for example) you undo whatever it does as the water has to process whatever it is in there. I could drink squash much more easily.
    I drink plenty of other stuff - tea/coffee/green tea/squash/diet coke so am plenty hydrated and my wee is always almost clear. I actually rarely ever feel thirsty. But drinking just water ? I find hard work and unenjoable. Just no desire for it! Meh.
  • kellysdavies
    Options
    *lose - not loose.
  • kellysdavies
    Options

Ace.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Or, does it not ?
    I hate drinking water

It will help with water retention and staying hydrated keeps your body functioning properly, including your metabolism. There's not some magic number though and ultimately, your fat loss is going to be about your calorie consumption, not how much water you're drinking or not drinking.