-TMI ALERT- Excruciating BMs

Options

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    When this happened to me back in college, the doctor told me to drink Citrucel 3 times a day. It worked. Also buy some hemorrhoid cream to keep the orifice lubricated and soothed at all times. It helps immensely. Try stool softeners at the outset for immediate help and then once the Citrucel is working you may not need them anymore.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    lewispwest wrote: »
    LeonCX wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you're getting enough fiber then you might just need to increase your water intake.
    uh-uh. You can drink water till you pop and it will not help with constipation. OP you need to change your diet and add a stool softener to your diet, such as psyllium. (Metamucil) Soluble fiber is best as it adds bulk to your digestive tract which wheat fiber will not do. Some food choices include oat bran (not wheat) prunes and legumes. Avoid constipation and you will heal up.

I have a scoop of psyllium husks in my protein shake every morning, I presume that would still do?

Yeah I will make a big effort to get more vegetables in, I've taken a liking to mixed greens which I will try to have as much as possible going forward.
    If you're getting enough fiber then you might just need to increase your water intake.

I drink quite a lot of water each day so I don't think that's the issue.
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The obvious answer to "What should I do when blood is coming out of my butt?" would be, "Call a doctor."

It's not really that it's coming out, there's none in the stool itself, just a small bit on the toilet paper when I wipe which is awfully consistent with the pain I just felt passing it!!
    Unless it's tested, there is no way to know if there is blood in the stool until it's tested. That's why doctors test poop.

Doctors can figure out all kinds of things, but they have to see you to do it.

If you don't want to go, don't go. It's your health! It probably is nothing and maybe you eat lots of fiber and take Colace and it gets all better.

But if it is something and you don't go, you'll be one of the ones who regrets it.

I know a guy who blew it off and spent three weeks in the hospital. Another blew it off, then called after he got some abdominal pain, but before his appointment, it progressed and he spent two months in the hospital, much of it on a ventilator.

That's why I suggest calling the doctor. Because there is no way in hell I could know what is wrong with you. Better to go in and find out it's nothing than just assume it and be wrong.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    uh-uh. You can drink water till you pop and it will not help with constipation. OP you need to change your diet and add a stool softener to your diet, such as psyllium. (Metamucil) Soluble fiber is best as it adds bulk to your digestive tract which wheat fiber will not do. Some food choices include oat bran (not wheat) prunes and legumes. Avoid constipation and you will heal up.

This. OP, please google soluble and insoluble fiber. Read up on what YOU need. I drink 3x10g of psyllium every day in blender bottle with water BEFORE meals. Cured my IBS. Apparently the microbial environment in our guts are as unique as snowflakes (gasp, I said the word!) So what works for somebody else, might not work for you.

Trial and error FTW :D
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all, I will look in to everything that people have put here :)
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    This. OP, please google soluble and insoluble fiber. Read up on what YOU need. Trial and error FTW :D

Just read a good article which said that the Weetabix I have every morning is a great source of insoluble fibre (7.8g) which is good for preventing constipation so I will keep with that and change up the method in which I am taking in psyllium as per the other commenter :)

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    OP, psyllium in itself, is actually not particularly high in fiber. But it has a "jelling" effect in the digestive tract, and helps soften everything up. Soluble fibers work best to achieve this effect. Also, are you looking at things in your diet that may be constipating you? Too much dairy can cause this.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You need to be drinking sufficient water when consuming a lot of fiber. This is even marked on fiber supplements. From my own anectodal experience, if I do not drink enough water but I am eating a lot of fiber, I can easily become constipated.

Wheat-based foods are FINE to consume whether they are eaten to increase fiber intake or not.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would get checked out by a doctor just to be safe! How long have these symptoms been going on? If they're recent, it is possible that there was a tear or cut from a recent BM that was too big to pass properly. Or, it could be something going on inside your body. Definitely look into the stool softening suggestions above, and try not to strain too much when going as well before seeing a doctor.
  • flowrgal23
    flowrgal23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium; try magnesium citrate.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    This. OP, please google soluble and insoluble fiber. Read up on what YOU need. Trial and error FTW :D

Just read a good article which said that the Weetabix I have every morning is a great source of insoluble fibre (7.8g) which is good for preventing constipation so I will keep with that and change up the method in which I am taking in psyllium as per the other commenter :)

Are you taking an actual supplement powder? When I used to use Metamucil, if I did not drink a lot of water along with it then I actually became constipated. So didn't matter that I was getting in enough fiber. I have fewer issues with constipation when I drink enough water and oncE I stopped taking Metamucil. Fiber intake is quite high most days, I very rarely am below the rec'd amount and even if I am it balances out with very high days.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That does not sound pleasant at all. I thought I had problems with the PITA I've been dealing with but you are really going through something.

I'd honestly go to the Dr. if I were you. Seems like the kind of thing a quick fix ala dr. would be desirable for rather than "trying" the random ideas thrown out in a thread online. That seems time consuming and pain prolonging.

Except the coconut oil up the butt idea. That one sounds kind of cool. So far I like coconut oil in my hair and on my skin so it seems like it would be very soothing immediately.

The rectal stretching done surgically...not so much.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Don't dig it out with your finger it'll only get worse

I'm so glad you warned him about this. I'm sure it was just what he was about to try.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Don't dig it out with your finger it'll only get worse

I'm so glad you warned him about this. I'm sure it was just what he was about to try.

thanks for this visual, guys. B)

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    (*)

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The little bleed might be a hemorrhoid bleed ... much more likely if it's a little bit and you are in pain with the movement. An anal fistula will have a lot more bleeding .. like drops of blood into the bowl. Some fistula's heal on their own, others require surgery (mine did)

You've heard it said already but it's worth repeating ...

Put that psyllium or Metamucil into a glass of water, drink that and then follow up with another glass of water. ... Try taking it after dinner instead of in the morning.

If you take a stool softener, don't do it for more than a week at a time ... or until you go. That also needs a lot of water.

Here's one my doctor told me ... Do not use dry paper toilet tissues as it will hurt the sore spot. It's better to use something like a baby wipe (toss it in the garbage and not down with the flush) ... Also very good to encourage healing is a sitz bath. You can purchase a kit at the drugstore It has a water bottle type thingy that you fill with hot water and use that to gently drizzle water to the affected area ... do this a couple of times a day until you heal up.

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    So. Full disclosure. I recently battled an awful, awful anal fissure. I basically at as much fibre as I could - All Bran Original (has something like 3 times the fibre of Weetabix), nuts, raspberries, beans, wholewheat pasta, brown rice, wholewheat seeded bread, porridge with added oat bran, and I drank Fybogel twice a day. In addition, I cut way back on dairy and fatty foods, which can bind you up. Also, everytime I used the toilet, I put coconut oil on and just inside my o-ring. After about a week, it was pretty much healed, but I keep up this regime for another couple weeks to give it a good chance to heal up. Worked like a charm!
    Here's where everyone is different. Added grains make it worse for me. Veg and increased fats make things more... Smooth. And I'm pretty sure fibrogel would back me up. Magnesium makes it all better.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Just read a good article which said that the Weetabix I have every morning is a great source of insoluble fibre (7.8g) which is good for preventing constipation so I will keep with that and change up the method in which I am taking in psyllium as per the other . go see a doc b4 internet voodoo makes you worse !

had fissure,roids andIBS all diagnosed and treated by docs over the years.

passing blood can be many things,no time at all to be second guessing.
    Man up.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I struggle with meeting fiber constantly! I have a column in my diary and at one point a lot of my friends added one so I could look at theirs. Quest protein bars have 20 g. of fiber. All this being said, it doesn't seem to make my business any better. Magnesium citrate helps a bit and I would definitely try the psyllium. Good luck on that end (pun intended).
  • shaun603
    Options
    You need to goto the doctor. Don't listen to anybody here, please call your doctor. It could be serious.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yes, go see a doctor.

After you are feeling all fixed up and better, here is a table of fibers to help differentiate between potential "benefits" and a link to home remedies to stay happy...

Constipation Remedies
    Compare Dietary Fibers

I would also like to say that there are a lot of nice people on here that are willing to share with personal advice. Kudos to those of you with serious helpful answers!

Here's hope you feel better soon. :sob: