Older and aging Ladies

Options
124»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think it depends more on face shape and hair texture than age. I see some women my age with long hair that makes them look worn out, old and busted. On the other hand, I had an elderly great aunt with long, thick, shiny snow white hair that was so pretty in a variety of up-dos. I also see older women with horrible, short, unflattering helmet hair that ages them terribly and makes them look so outdated. On others, a shorter well-styled cut takes years off their appearance. It really depends on the person.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    ...For the past few years I've been keeping my hair around shoulder length more out of laziness than anything else. It's easy to just put up in a ponytail, which is convenient for tennis and the gym...but I end up wearing it that way ninety percent of the time, which sort of defeats the purpose of having long hair.

QFT (*)

• dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. Jenilla1 I literally spit my coffee when I read your post about unflattering helmet hair. My mother had the most gorgeous long curly hair when I was young. Then came the 60's and the trend for short-teased hair. And so my mother's years of helmet hair began. She just turned 90 in September and her hair is exactly the same as it was in 1967. I have long hair and am 61. I have no desire to cut it. I take very good care of my hair, never blow dry or even use a curling iron. My hair is straight and doesn't hold a curl. Everytime, I think about cutting it, I deliberately wait because I know that feeling will pass.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I think it depends more on face shape and hair texture than age. I see some women my age with long hair that makes them look worn out, old and busted. On the other hand, I had an elderly great aunt with long, thick, shiny snow white hair that was so pretty in a variety of up-dos. I also see older women with horrible, short, unflattering helmet hair that ages them terribly and makes them look so outdated. On others, a shorter well-styled cut takes years off their appearance. It really depends on the person.
    I can't stop laughing at "worn out, old and busted" !

IDKY that's just killing me right now. I love how some people talk and you know I'm gonna be stealing this one. I miss one of my IRL friends real hard right now, she was haylair at coffee shops and other places she saw old women dressing or acting too young, she said some insane things too. Man I hope she gets better soon, she's been having problems with her eyes and WE NEED THOSE TO WORK, so she can narrate her hilarious observations.
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have baby fine and super thin hair, so I doubt I could pull off long hair into my golden years, but as long as it looks decent, I don't see why older women should let age determine their style. I will be 43 in about two weeks and mine is currently past my shoulders.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 46 next year. Guess it's time to start rethinking my hair style.

I've had shorter hair much of my adult life. Honestly, I feel more pulled together and chic with a chin-length bob than any other style (tried a pixie cut in my 20s...when I was dating a guy with long hair...thought the contrast would be fun). For the past few years I've been keeping my hair around shoulder length more out of laziness than anything else. It's easy to just put up in a ponytail, which is convenient for tennis and the gym...but I end up wearing it that way ninety percent of the time, which sort of defeats the purpose of having long hair.

I wear my hair long and up in a ponytail, loose bun, since I'm always on the go and don't have time for my hair. I also have hot flashes and sweats and can't stand hair sticking to me. I've thought too--what's the point? why not just cut it? Because, short hair, for me is more work and more expensive. It's one thing to go to the salone and say "just trim it" and another to pay for the latest cut, which has to be freshened up more frequently. I get my hair trimed every month and a half or two months. It's alot more economical. I can always let my hair down when I want to. I also have always loved the look of an athletic woman in a ponytail. It's sleek. B)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 46 next year. Guess it's time to start rethinking my hair style.

I've had shorter hair much of my adult life. Honestly, I feel more pulled together and chic with a chin-length bob than any other style (tried a pixie cut in my 20s...when I was dating a guy with long hair...thought the contrast would be fun). For the past few years I've been keeping my hair around shoulder length more out of laziness than anything else. It's easy to just put up in a ponytail, which is convenient for tennis and the gym...but I end up wearing it that way ninety percent of the time, which sort of defeats the purpose of having long hair.

I wear my hair long and up in a ponytail, loose bun, since I'm always on the go and don't have time for my hair. I also have hot flashes and sweats and can't stand hair sticking to me. I've thought too--what's the point? why not just cut it? Because, short hair, for me is more work and more expensive. It's one thing to go to the salone and say "just trim it" and another to pay for the latest cut, which has to be freshened up more frequently. I get my hair trimed every month and a half or two months. It's alot more economical. I can always let my hair down when I want to. I also have always loved the look of an athletic woman in a ponytail. It's sleek. B)
    short hair was more work for me too when I tried it. So that's why instead of forever 21, I'm gonna have to stay forever 45.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to say definitively what's appropriate. In general, I think it's the color, styling and face of the woman more than exact age. However, I completely reject the notion that long hair is somehow more youthful or feminine. It often is not.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I remember my mom asking me if her hair was too long for her age. I always said no because she loves long hair. Now I am 50 and have long hair too. My husband likes it long and it makes me feel young and attractive to my man. I have always had long hair. Not sure if I will ever want it short.

• Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love long hair! I sometimes wear a clip-on ponytail, but my natural hair is long too, though a little thinner at the ends. I get it trimmed regularly, but will never consider cutting it. I'm 59 next month, and will wear it long forever (either mine or someone else's, lol).