Nothing like starting over for the millionth time...

Options
2»

Replies

• OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I am desperately trying to treat this now as lifestyle changes too. As in, I am going to have to keep going to the gym, and eat healthily at all times. This is not a diet.
  • TheGrindalProject
    TheGrindalProject Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm so right there with you. I can't even tell you how many "introductions" i've done on MFP. It's embarrassing.
  • ali_riemer
    ali_riemer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, we can all use the motivation.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I will be starting over the first of the year. This year has chewed me up and spit me out-between layoffs and emergency vet bills and illnesses I am D-O-N-E. I think I have started and stopped about 50 times (you try to maintain a workout program when you are bottle feeding sick baby goats, dealing with rescue rabbits, your dog developes a tumor in her neck, and your husband loses his job within 3 weeks of each other.)

But like others have said, if its that important to you, you'll make it work. The thing is, sometimes it really isn't that important.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    See if you can find fun things that burn calories rather than just obligatory gym sessions. Hula hooping, dancing, walking in scenic areas, and such.
  • twinzmom172
    twinzmom172 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me too :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    grnice39 wrote: »
    I wonder what I can do differently this time that will make me continue and not give up. We shall see!
    You can do all sorts of different things, but it's really going to take COMMITMENT to make it work. Commitment means never quitting regardless of obstacles or setbacks to reach the goal you have within a reasonable time limit. People who succeed commit to their goal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• focus135
    Options
    I wonder what I can do differently this time that will make me continue and not give up. We shall see!

You will if you set your mind to it. Weight loss is a mental and emotional battle.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe actually use the site and log something? Your food diary is empty, and I take it you ate something over the last two days?
  • stefania6587
    Options
    I yo-yo dieted for most of my life, here's some of what I did differently this time:

1. Did not overly restrict - in the past I thought I had to cut back and eat nothing but plain chicken and salad, I was always hungry, and if I kept it up my husband would have divorced me cause I wasn't a pleasant person. Find a reasonable calorie deficit.

2. I always thought I had to be perfect, the typical all or nothing attitude. - Not this time, if I go over my calories or my macros look like crap for a day no big deal (my diary today is a good example of this), it's fine, delicious food logged and tomorrow is a new day.

3. Setting unrealistic goals - I used to tell myself I had to lose so many pounds per week or I was a failure... nope if I log and follow the plan consistently the weight will come off. Learning it's about more than just a number on a scale helped too, changing the goals to health and physical goals helped too.

4. Taking personal responsibility for all my choices - this is a big one for me, no one forced me to get fat and no one is going to help me get fit, this is my decision and totally up to me if I succeed or fail.

5. Learning to have patience! This takes time

6. Learning about portion control & moderation

7. Being completely honest with myself

8. Learn about nutrition, if you hear some diet idea - question it, research it, question it some more, don't blindly believe everything. There are no magic pills, diets, etc. there is show up, put the work in consistently, and get results.

9. Don't compare my progress with anyone but myself. Always try to be better than I was yesterday.

I can relate to all of these points. You are very right!!!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I stopped the endless cycle of always "starting over" by never "quitting."

I log what I eat, even if it's wayyyy too much. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, no matter what kind of day I had food wise, even if I am on vacation, even if I am tired. If I have a day where I want to go over my calories and splurge I don't look at it as cheating, it's just another day in my life and it doesn't ruin everything. I don't set dates to meet weight goals, because weight loss isn't linear. Being a low weight isn't important to me. I would rather bench 95 lbs and fit into a smaller size pants at 165 than I did at 150.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

So what made you give up last time and the time befire and the time before that. It must be very draining to restart. Id suggest not restarting until you full undersand what went wrong and you have a plan which caters for both your mindset and has in place various strategies to avoid the pitfalls of the past. If you wnat it enough then you will sort it out properly. Its all about personal choices you make, so think about it the next time you have to decide move closer to target or further away.

Get friends on your list to check you are doing the basics correctly including how to use the site. The most popular thread on the forums is why am I not losing weight, which nearly always boild down to the people concerned not logging properly or having a decent plan.