Ok folks...

Options

Replies

• WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree. I always keep to my original calorie goal for the day no matter what "increase" I may get from exercising. You're working out to burn calories & fat, by eating the calories you burn you're just setting yourself up to fail.

Something else that irks me is when ppl count the fact that they have a job where they are on their feet all day towards "working out". If your "norm" is to be on your feet you can't count that as exercise. Your body is used to this activity & is not working any harder to burn anything. I myself work on my feet all day but I do not count it towards exercise. I understand some jobs may be more active than others but again, if it's your norm generally it is not going to help you burn anything.

Depends on your settings, if you are set to sedentary than you SHOULD be adding in extra if you have an active job. Although I do not know why you would be set to sedentary if you have an active job. I myself work in a metal fab shop - I lift heavy things all day every day, I do not log it but I really could if I wanted to as I am set to sedentary (I am really just too lazy to change it). As for eating back your calories, you should be. MFP is set to a deficit already so if you are set to eat 1200 calories a day but burn 600 you should eat back at least SOME of the 600 you burned so your net is close 1200 or whatever your calorie goal is at the end of the day.... if you don't you could hit a wall eventually.... it didn't make sense to me at first but it does now. I do however have friends who will work out but because they don't want to mess with their macros they log 1 calorie burned, that way they log their exercise so they can track it but it doesn't adjust your daily totals.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I so agree with you...I will admit when I walk 18 holes I give myself a bit of fudge-room...but I NEVER aim to eat the calories back.

If you eat 1200 calories a day and do, let's say, one hour of roller skating (which burns around 500 cals), you think your body will be fine with that? Do you think you'll have the energy to continue doing proper workouts?
  • ashesannes
    ashesannes Posts: 11
    Options
    :drinker: Bahahaha! I second that!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I dont think the issue is counting cleaning as exercise or walking you dog. I think OP is getting at over estimation these activities then complaining why you arent losing weight.

That's how I interpreted it any way,

Maybe...though for me I am walking my dog further and faster than I was before I began the program, she is loving it :-)
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I dont think the issue is counting cleaning as exercise or walking you dog. I think OP is getting at over estimation these activities then complaining why you arent losing weight.

Maybe...though for me I am walking my dog further and faster than I was before I began the program, she is loving it :-)

She's probably a much fitter dog, eh? :flowerforyou:
  • Tkitchell
    Tkitchell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do cleaning as a side job, when you have a three story house & have to do a total cleaning of it once a week it certainly is exercise. What I do is try to run up & own the stairs when going from floor to floor for extra benefit.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed over the years people who seem to think their workouts are intense enough to burn 1000 calories in an hour. I think it's pretty funny.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...why would walking your dog not count as excercise and be logged. I am sure you would not object to someone going for a walk and logging it as they should. Is it suddenly not good excercise if you bring your dog?

BS I say!

cmon dude you know the dog does all the work pulling you along and whatnot
  • Briantime
    Options

She is getting a bit slimmer, I believe. And now she is too tired to steal my shoes :-)

She's probably a much fitter dog, eh? :flowerforyou:
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to log every single calorie I put into my mouth, I feel free to log every single calories I burn.
    I don't count calories burned towards my 1270 calorie limit. I count them as an extra push towards my goal.

:heart: We are here to encourage others, not judge them. Well, at least thats how it should be. :heart:
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    beatingadeadhorsecallme.jpg

OMG so funny!
  • Briantime
    Options
    I'm confused...why would walking your dog not count as excercise and be logged. I am sure you would not object to someone going for a walk and logging it as they should. Is it suddenly not good excercise if you bring your dog?

BS I say!

I like that! I'm going to get some inline skates and go for a ride :-)
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I'm pretty sure that if it's in the excercise list, you can count it. And if you don't sweat when you're cleaning house...you apparently aren't doing it right....either that...or you don't have kids. :O) Again...to each their own, I say.
  • JupiterJune
    Options

BS I say!

I just ride my dog, 30 minutes of exercise and not a drop of sweat!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options

:heart: We are here to encourage others, not judge them. Well, at least thats how it should be. :heart:

Yep.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

BS I say!

And you'll still eat that back won't you? If you do I am going to go to the nearest public place full of strangers and rage about it. "Hey everyone some dude from the internets is couting dog walks on roller blades as exercise and eating back his cals!" I can't wait to see all the gasps of amazement and nods of agreement.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eeh, posts like this serve no purpose. Why not mention these things to people individually when they post saying "I'm losing no weight, can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?" Otherwise, I just figure it's either working for them or they don't want unsolicited advice.

You never know where someone started from- their dog walking or house cleaning may be a significant change from a truly sedentary lifestyle.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

BS I say!

I just ride my dog, 30 minutes of exercise and not a drop of sweat!

I feel like being so much worse but how about I just leave it at "I can has be your dog?"
  • JupiterJune
    Options

BS I say!

I've ACTUALLY seen that happen at Flamengo Beach once. It was a huge dog, if that makes it any better.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    When I tried to log a 1 mile walk in 20 minutes that works out to 3.0 mph.

MFP lists "Walking, 3.0, moderate pace" and it also includes 'walking dog'. Doesn't mean you're actually walking a dog, just means you walked at 3 mph. And since that's a mile more than I used to do and when I first started it increased my heart rate and I broke a sweat, it counts as exercise.