Ok folks...

Options
Please do yourself a favor and stop counting bs calories from exercise. One thing that keeps recurring here is that people log walking a dog or cleaning a fish tank as a 2000 calorie cardio. Please, if you're doing that, you are lying to yourself. Don't log it, don't eat it back, and there will be no " oh my god, I don't understand this, I'm working out so hard and I can't lose weight."
Aight?
Thank you.

Concerned myfitnesspal member.

Replies

• zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone wants a snickers.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone wants a snickers.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Thanks for the post.
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It irritates me when people count cleaning as exercise. If you're that hard core of a cleaner, I got a house for you to come burn some more calories in :-)
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what everyone else is logging as exercise? I log walking my dog as exercise, I take her for walks with me, its part of my cardio. I plan it into my day. I log it, I eat those calories.

I also log mowing my grass- its a large yard and I do it with a push mower, usually after work while still wearing my steel toed boots. I log cleaning my house too if I am moving furniture, or scrubbing the floors by hand as I do it alone. For some people who are extremely obese these are work outs - who are you to judge them?

Seriously, before you post you should think... walking the dog is exercise - 2000 calories?? I have NEVER in the year being on this site EVER seen someone log a 2000 calorie burn from walking the dog. Sometimes it shows that way on my news feed but I know my friends do several things in a day - excess cardio, strength etc. It picks the biggest burn to post on the news feed though so it shows up as so and so burned XXXXX calories while doing "walking the dog 2.0mph or w/e. But if you asked them they would tell you they logged walking the dog, swimming, yard work, and strength training.

ETA: Hahah I just realized this profile looks like I am a brand new user..
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    It irritates me when people count cleaning as exercise. If you're that hard core of a cleaner, I got a house for you to come burn some more calories in :-)

I love this one.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!! Cleaning the house is not an exercise! It should be part of a normal daily routine. Exercise is something you do in ADDITION to your normal daily activity. And eating back the calories.............doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising??
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    and yes I want a snickers!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i know right. i'm like are these people on meth when they clean ?
  • jehembee
    jehembee Posts: 114
    Options
    Any cleaning that I do above and beyond daily cleaning I count. Why should it bother you?
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    i agree. but I have walked at work during lunch and used the walked the dog , but it was 2 miles so I try to underestimate the burn.
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...why would walking your dog not count as excercise and be logged. I am sure you would not object to someone going for a walk and logging it as they should. Is it suddenly not good excercise if you bring your dog?

BS I say!
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    beatingadeadhorsecallme.jpg
  • MoChroi8609
    MoChroi8609 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree. I always keep to my original calorie goal for the day no matter what "increase" I may get from exercising. You're working out to burn calories & fat, by eating the calories you burn you're just setting yourself up to fail.

Something else that irks me is when ppl count the fact that they have a job where they are on their feet all day towards "working out". If your "norm" is to be on your feet you can't count that as exercise. Your body is used to this activity & is not working any harder to burn anything. I myself work on my feet all day but I do not count it towards exercise. I understand some jobs may be more active than others but again, if it's your norm generally it is not going to help you burn anything.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I agree. I always keep to my original calorie goal for the day no matter what "increase" I may get from exercising. You're working out to burn calories & fat, by eating the calories you burn you're just setting yourself up to fail.

Something else that irks me is when ppl count the fact that they have a job where they are on their feet all day towards "working out". If your "norm" is to be on your feet you can't count that as exercise. Your body is used to this activity & is not working any harder to burn anything. I myself work on my feet all day but I do not count it towards exercise. I understand some jobs may be more active than others but again, if it's your norm generally it is not going to help you burn anything.

Not sure if trolling or just new to this site...
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options

If I remember correctly, don't you input your basic lifestyle when you set up your profile? I remember putting something like sedentary because I work in an office, but I thought there was a different setting if you are in a job where you are on your feet?
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!! Cleaning the house is not an exercise! It should be part of a normal daily routine. Exercise is something you do in ADDITION to your normal daily activity. And eating back the calories.............doesn't that defeat the purpose of exercising??

I personally only log exercise if it gets my heart rate up, consistently. But to each their own.

But eating back the calories...yes, sometimes that IS needed. I burned over 1100 calories today in exercise. If I didn't eat some back, I would net about 500. No bueno.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you...I will admit when I walk 18 holes I give myself a bit of fudge-room...but I NEVER aim to eat the calories back.
  • JupiterJune
    Options

If I remember correctly, don't you input your basic lifestyle when you set up your profile? I remember putting something like sedentary because I work in an office, but I thought there was a different setting if you are in a job where you are on your feet?

Exactly. People shouldn't need to add that as exercise because MFP does it when you set it up. So yes, you are eating back calories if you set up your activity to active or lightly active.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I dont think the issue is counting cleaning as exercise or walking you dog. I think OP is getting at over estimation these activities then complaining why you arent losing weight.

That's how I interpreted it any way,