Ok folks...

Options

Replies

• JupiterJune
    Options
    I'm confused...why would walking your dog not count as excercise and be logged. I am sure you would not object to someone going for a walk and logging it as they should. Is it suddenly not good excercise if you bring your dog?

BS I say!

cmon dude you know the dog does all the work pulling you along and whatnot

I just ride my dog, 30 minutes of exercise and not a drop of sweat!

I feel like being so much worse but how about I just leave it at "I can has be your dog?"

Not sure if I love the way you think or find it a bit sick, but.... --gets the saddle--
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    And if I wear my HRM doing an activity I don't necessarily wish to advertise, so I choose to log it as walking my dog, should I be ashamed of myself and crawl in a hole somewhere?

Don't worry about other people - log what you log, eat back what you think is right, and leave others to learn their own lessons. If I come to you for advise and you ASK me about my exercise, and I admit I don't know how much I really burned walking my dog... THEN you can bite my head off.

Mmmmkay?
  • steplander
    steplander Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since using the Fit-Bit unit with the MyFitnessPal app, I've had more calories added to my daily count. I've always logged my (real) exercises into the diary, and it bumped my daily calories up a little. But now Fitbit is adding more just from my normal daily activity.
    MFP frequently warns me that I am not eating enough and I am in danger of going into "Starvation Mode" which will stop me from losing weight. This is happneing more frequently since wearing the Fitbit unit. I have to wonder if FitBit is helping or hindering my program.
    Anyone else out there using the FitBit with MyFitNessPal?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and stop counting bs calories from exercise. One thing that keeps recurring here is that people log walking a dog or cleaning a fish tank as a 2000 calorie cardio. Please, if you're doing that, you are lying to yourself. Don't log it, don't eat it back, and there will be no " oh my god, I don't understand this, I'm working out so hard and I can't lose weight."
    Aight?
    Thank you.

Concerned myfitnesspal member.

This again? Why do some people seem to care so much about what other people do?

Here's my story...

I hit my goal weight back in February. I changed MFP's setting to maintenance, so I would neither lose or gain. I have a desk job doing computer work, so I kept my activity level set to sedentary. I was using my heart rate monitor and logging my exercise calories based on those readings. I was eating my exercise calories. But, I kept losing weight... consistently. Even though I was trying to maintain, I kept losing between a half and one pound a week.

Even though all my numbers were adding up on MFP, I started thinking that maybe something wasn't right. I actually went to the doctor and had my bloodwork done because I didn't think I should be losing weight eating roughly 2000-2100 calories a day. Everything medical was fine.

So, I stopped using MFP's estimate for my sedentary calories. I stopped using my heart rate monitor. I bought a Body Media Fit so I could monitor my metabolism all day, not just when I'm exercising. You know what I learned....

I was undereating by 300-500 calories a day. Why?

Cooking burns calories
    Shopping burns calories
    Cleaning burns calories
    Walking around at work burns calories
    Yardwork burns calories

I think you should focus on yourself and not worry about what other people do. And what is 'BS' to you is pretty darn legitimate to me.

There are many accurate ways to estimate your TDEE. One accurate way is to set your activity level to sedentary and take the time to count ALL your activity calories, not just the exercise calories.
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    When I tried to log a 1 mile walk in 20 minutes that works out to 3.0 mph.

MFP lists "Walking, 3.0, moderate pace" and it also includes 'walking dog'. Doesn't mean you're actually walking a dog, just means you walked at 3 mph. And since that's a mile more than I used to do and when I first started it increased my heart rate and I broke a sweat, it counts as exercise.

This. I was going to mention that walking a dog is just an example MFP uses to log walking at a general 3.0 mph pace. To each his own. Do what works for you, don't be bothered by what others are or aren't doing.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...why would walking your dog not count as excercise and be logged. I am sure you would not object to someone going for a walk and logging it as they should. Is it suddenly not good excercise if you bring your dog?

BS I say!

cmon dude you know the dog does all the work pulling you along and whatnot

I just ride my dog, 30 minutes of exercise and not a drop of sweat!

I feel like being so much worse but how about I just leave it at "I can has be your dog?"

Not sure if I love the way you think or find it a bit sick, but.... --gets the saddle--

Cool I don't even mind if you wear an HRM to more accurately report your cals that you will eat back.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    So, guys, do you log sex as exercise? Or is that just another daily activity that shouldn't be logged? (if answer to last question is positive, take my "you lucky *kitten*" and a "congrats" cookie)

EDIT: dang, aren't you a mind reader, mr. above poster?
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there is a difference between a 120lb person "cleaning" their house and a 320lb person "cleaning" their house. You are having a cardio workout at 300lbs. I just think being judgemental is rude. None of you are in the other persons shoes, who are we to judge.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I only walk on my left foot, but did you know some people have the audacity to walk on their right foot, or even *gasp* BOTH FEET!!!!!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Okay folk,
    Maybe you should mind your own bizzwax and let others log whatever they want to log.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Considering 8 months ago, I wasn't capable of walking across a mall parking lot without being winded, and for me ANY walking in ANY amount greater than down the block is something I've had to work towards, I believe I'll log it. If I'm honest with my calories, I'll be honest with my exercise.
    No one else has to like it, they can move on instead of reading it, if they'd like.
    I don't go over on my calories often and when I do, I log that too because I need to be accountable in order to keep myself on track.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You have to fuel the machine or it will stop working.
    With the issue of logging, I will log my main cardio, but usually only the time I'm in my target HR. I will lean towards under estimating. When I eat I try to be as accurate as possible, if I'm not sure I over estimate my calories in. It is a formula that has worked for me. I also am listed as sedentary. Some days I am most days I'm not. So that helps a bit.

I've found that it is quite a balancing act, over time most people figure it out.

But back on track, If your body tells you it needs food you need to listen and eat back those calories. Some times it could be a few oz of baby carrots, some times a cheese stick. Whatever you do just make sure you log everything that goes in.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and stop counting bs calories from exercise. One thing that keeps recurring here is that people log walking a dog or cleaning a fish tank as a 2000 calorie cardio. Please, if you're doing that, you are lying to yourself. Don't log it, don't eat it back, and there will be no " oh my god, I don't understand this, I'm working out so hard and I can't lose weight."
    Aight?
    Thank you.

This again? Why do some people seem to care so much about what other people do?

Here's my story...

I hit my goal weight back in February. I changed MFP's setting to maintenance, so I would neither lose or gain. I have a desk job doing computer work, so I kept my activity level set to sedentary. I was using my heart rate monitor and logging my exercise calories based on those readings. I was eating my exercise calories. But, I kept losing weight... consistently. Even though I was trying to maintain, I kept losing between a half and one pound a week.

Even though all my numbers were adding up on MFP, I started thinking that maybe something wasn't right. I actually went to the doctor and had my bloodwork done because I didn't think I should be losing weight eating roughly 2000-2100 calories a day. Everything medical was fine.

So, I stopped using MFP's estimate for my sedentary calories. I stopped using my heart rate monitor. I bought a Body Media Fit so I could monitor my metabolism all day, not just when I'm exercising. You know what I learned....

I was undereating by 300-500 calories a day. Why?

Cooking burns calories
    Shopping burns calories
    Cleaning burns calories
    Walking around at work burns calories
    Yardwork burns calories

I think you should focus on yourself and not worry about what other people do. And what is 'BS' to you is pretty darn legitimate to me.

There are many accurate ways to estimate your TDEE. One accurate way is to set your activity level to sedentary and take the time to count ALL your activity calories, not just the exercise calories.

The same thing happened to me. MFP had my sedentary maintenance set about 300 cals too low. Was also worried about my health because I couldn't maintain weight. Luckily, it was just the yard work! (wait, I don't have a yard . . . )
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So, guys, do you log sex as exercise? Or is that just another daily activity that shouldn't be logged? (if answer to last question is positive, take my "you lucky *kitten*" and a "congrats" cookie)

I log it, but 1 minute of cardio is a very small number of calories :-)
  • Determinednoob
    Options

No and only if I want it to be, but I don't log any exercise so meh

and to the edit, i dunno, you tell me.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Well since you like comsuming back your exercise cals just drink about 6 liquor drinks and then maybe it will be an even trade.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Aight?
    Thank you.

Ok, MFP is actually designed to work so that you DO eat your exercise calories back. Most formulas that estimate what you should eat include an activity multiplier that takes into account how often/intense you should exercise. MFP only takes into account your daily life, not exercise. So if you choose the appropriate activity level, eat their recommended calories, and do no exercise, you will lose weight. They suggest you "eat back" your exercise calories to maintain a modest deficit.
    You could select a higher MFP activity multiplier and choose not to log exercise, which can work if you select properly but that is not exactly how it was designed to work. There is a reason MFP tells you to eat them.
    For example, when I first started MFP, it suggested 1450 calories per week. With exercise I was eating around 1800-1900 and netting 1450, as Per MFP suggestion.
    I then went to a trainer, who calculated my calorie goal and included exercise. She suggest I eat around 1800 per day. While I followed her, I still logged here. Turns out I netted around 1450.
    Same outcome, different formula.

As for what you log as exercise - I agree, if it isn't working, maybe you should re-evaluate what your are logging as exercise and how accurate the burns may be. But there are plenty of people who use Bodybug and HRMs that are getting a calorie bump from these things.
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options

:laugh: Thank you for that much needed giggle :happy:
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    My sweet neighbor who directed me to this site has been a member for quite some time. She is in her 70's and certainly isn't able to run long distances or do weight training, so when she logs in "raking the lawn" for an hour is she wrong? I am unable to go to a gym because there isn't one within 2 hours of where I live but I log my 45 min walk every day. I think you are generalizing too much, there are so many different types of people with different situations on this site.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Why are you worrying about other peoples activities? Walking is an excellent cardio! Why should someone not log it?

Cleaning, real cleaning is an excellent exercise, crawling on the floor scrubbing base boards, stretching, lifting, constantly moving. I clean for a living, on call so I don't factor it in to my lifestyle setting. I log it and sometimes eat it back, guess what? I still lose weight. But my cleaning is different from what people do at their own homes. Don't knock people for adding it.

If your off your *kitten* being active then there's no reason not to log it. I went shopping at a mall today and yes I logged it.