Ok folks...

Options

Replies

• ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ok, troll it up. Whatever. I know it's an old post, I know this horse has been beaten, but people still don't get it. Besides, I figured it would have been a more interesting topic than "do you think a poster above should change their avatar?" :)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    When I tried to log a 1 mile walk in 20 minutes that works out to 3.0 mph.

MFP lists "Walking, 3.0, moderate pace" and it also includes 'walking dog'. Doesn't mean you're actually walking a dog, just means you walked at 3 mph. And since that's a mile more than I used to do and when I first started it increased my heart rate and I broke a sweat, it counts as exercise.

This. I was going to mention that walking a dog is just an example MFP uses to log walking at a general 3.0 mph pace. To each his own. Do what works for you, don't be bothered by what others are or aren't doing.
    I also get this for my treadmill walks at 3.0 mph (I don't own, let alone even like dogs), but 60 minutes of walking is calculated as 252 calories by MFP - not 2000 calories like the OP is saying he sees. How many hours would you have to be walking the dog to get to 2000 calories? Almost 8!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

MFP lists "Walking, 3.0, moderate pace" and it also includes 'walking dog'. Doesn't mean you're actually walking a dog, just means you walked at 3 mph. And since that's a mile more than I used to do and when I first started it increased my heart rate and I broke a sweat, it counts as exercise.

This. I was going to mention that walking a dog is just an example MFP uses to log walking at a general 3.0 mph pace. To each his own. Do what works for you, don't be bothered by what others are or aren't doing.
    I also get this for my treadmill walks at 3.0 mph (I don't own, let alone even like dogs), but 60 minutes of walking is calculated as 252 calories by MFP - not 2000 calories like the OP is saying he sees. How many hours would you have to be walking the dog to get to 2000 calories? Almost 8!

Some of us "walk the dog" with more intensity than others.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Some of us "walk the dog" with more intensity than others.
    If that is the case, you wouldn't be using the MFP setting for 3 mph though (my point). Good for you and your dog if you're doing more, but I assume you would measure the effort in a different way than this particular MFP database option.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm logging that I burned 60 calories reading this post. So there.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Besides, I figured it would have been a more interesting topic than "do you think a poster above should change their avatar?" :)

:laugh: Have to agree with you on that. :laugh:
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and stop counting bs calories from exercise. One thing that keeps recurring here is that people log walking a dog or cleaning a fish tank as a 2000 calorie cardio.

2000 calories? Dayam, how big IS that fishtank? Are there sharks in there? And I do log cleaning every once in awhile, but not the everyday type. If I'm doing HEAVY scrubbing/yardwork/etc - like sore muscles everywhere and actually sweating from it - then hell yeah, that's exercise! I won't apologize for that. But I'm reasonable about it, at least, and I don't "eat it back" - I just stick within the non-exercising limit of my fat/calories and consider that work just a little more fat burned for the day, not an excuse to go grab, say, a delicious Snickers or something.
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    Hey, let's make another post about it, maybe THIS will be the time that people will let some strangers on the internet tell them what to do. It'll be revolutionary.

I was going to let JupiterJune tell me what to do. Honest.

Oh dear, you don't know the trouble you're getting into ;)
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself a favor and stop counting bs calories from exercise. One thing that keeps recurring here is that people log walking a dog or cleaning a fish tank as a 2000 calorie cardio. Please, if you're doing that, you are lying to yourself. Don't log it, don't eat it back, and there will be no " oh my god, I don't understand this, I'm working out so hard and I can't lose weight."
    Aight?
    Thank you.

Concerned myfitnesspal member.

I just vacuumed. Work out done.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Nope. I disagree with you sir, partially. I definitely count cleaning, I sure do. However, this is why I only partially disagree. I count the cleaning when I clean the Funeral Home I work at. This takes a minimum of 2 hours to clean and I do everything from moving furniture, vacuuming a 5000 sq ft building, and hauling things up and down a full flight of stairs. How do you know what said person was cleaning and how intense the cleaning was? Why don't you ask these people individually about it first?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what everyone else is logging as exercise? I log walking my dog as exercise, I take her for walks with me, its part of my cardio. I plan it into my day. I log it, I eat those calories.

I also log mowing my grass- its a large yard and I do it with a push mower, usually after work while still wearing my steel toed boots. I log cleaning my house too if I am moving furniture, or scrubbing the floors by hand as I do it alone. For some people who are extremely obese these are work outs - who are you to judge them?

Seriously, before you post you should think... walking the dog is exercise - 2000 calories?? I have NEVER in the year being on this site EVER seen someone log a 2000 calorie burn from walking the dog. Sometimes it shows that way on my news feed but I know my friends do several things in a day - excess cardio, strength etc. It picks the biggest burn to post on the news feed though so it shows up as so and so burned XXXXX calories while doing "walking the dog 2.0mph or w/e. But if you asked them they would tell you they logged walking the dog, swimming, yard work, and strength training.

ETA: Hahah I just realized this profile looks like I am a brand new user..

Agree.

Also, who cares what anyone else does? If they really are self sabotaging by eating back these calories, so be it. It is no ones business but theirs.

I am pregnant right now and doing a deep cleaning of my house would probably send me into labor (I'm 5 weeks shy of delivery)... so for some people, it truly is a work out... and I don't know many people who deep clean daily (if you're out there, please come help me with my house... I can barely unload the dishwasher at this point, haha), so they log because they really do burn a significant amount of calories. Some of these people have 75+ lbs to lose, keep that in mind.

But I do think it is a bit excessive when some people log the 30 second walk to their mailbox, you must be really hungry that day if you need those 5 extra calories ;)
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    beatingadeadhorsecallme.jpg

Omg, this is fantastic. Thank you.
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    If with your post you really mean to help people, don't assume people here have no brains! It's their choice if they want to eat their workout calories and, certainly, they too know that cleaning a fish tank doesn't burn 2000 calories!
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    Aside from a poster who walks 5 miles with a dog, that's a good workout I'd say, honestly how many of you really do that? For all of you who otherwise got offended, I just want you to know that I have no stake in your own well being, I'm pointing out the stuff people do wrong in an effort to help others out. There's nothing wrong to walk a dog for a half an hour and call it a 100 - 200 calorie burn, but my point is to not "overestimate" the burn, because I have noticed that some people get depressed over a slow progress they're having, but then when I look at their diary I see greatly overestimated calorie expenditure which they end up eating back. At the end of the day, you can do whatever the heck you wanna domain, it is your choice, hate me all you want, I spoketh the truth. :)

**** You have spoken "your truth" which is scientifically incorrec! A sedentary person burns many more calories (even more than 200 calories) walking a dog for half an hour than physically active person would. Inform yourself better before just talking....
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm so hardcore I even log my 30 second masturbatory sessions...
  • smartmom0818
    Options
    There was a guy once who wrote something in a thread that has stayed with me since I started MFP. He said: If you didn't sweat, do not log it.

Simple. Easy. True.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It irritates me when people count cleaning as exercise. If you're that hard core of a cleaner, I got a house for you to come burn some more calories in :-)

Actually, housecleaning does involve stretching and bending.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Agreed. I lost 36 lbs logging - in addition to my actual "workouts" - my weekly house cleaning and my dog walking. My god, maybe those of you who think dog walking is not exercise have never walked a couple of boxers! Walking WITH my dogs is way more exercise than without them! They do NOT let me slack. LOL BUT, also, my activity level is set to sedentary.

Hah, I totally agree! My pitbull does not let me slack either. She's a ball of energy and demands to run. :P SHE pulls ME along and keeps me going.

Once a week (average), I walk a Sealyham Terrier and a Cockapoo for about 30 minutes twice a day. Good exercise for all three of us.

Would love to take our Akita somewhere where there is loads of space, but the Akita does not get on with other male dogs.
  • MissShancey
    MissShancey Posts: 464
    Options
    if it's your norm generally it is not going to help you burn anything.

Wrong! If its your norm and does not effect your burn why are there different activity settings that account for your non-exercise energy expenditure?

BAM.. you just got lawyer-ed!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Any cleaning that I do above and beyond daily cleaning I count. Why should it bother you?

Count *for what*?

That said, op I walk my dogs in hilly countryside. we walk quickly and they both pull (rarely in the same direction). This is light exercise and I have no problem adding it as such. I am, however, realistic about the small number of cals these walks burn, and they're certainly not my only exercise. However given that walking us how I started getting fit, I'd disagree that it isn't exercise. It is. But yes, the others are activity, not exercise....