Carb addicts?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you have the same problem with vegetables..? Because you know, carbs...

Yeah, i get going on munching broccoli, I say to myself - just one floret, two at the most and before I know it I've eaten like 1800 cals of broccoli!

But then again i suppose veg has valuable micro nutrients, where bread and pasta don't!

Because you know, micro nutrients.....

I think I could binge on a soft veggie like steamed peas. Is that too starchy to count as a vegetable? Something you can shovel in (that sounds so gross, but yeah). I don't have a particular issue with carbs except they can raise my blood sugar (I just got diagnosed with diabetes)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Yeah, i get going on munching broccoli, I say to myself - just one floret, two at the most and before I know it I've eaten like 1800 cals of broccoli!

But then again i suppose veg has valuable micro nutrients, where bread and pasta don't!

Selenium, zinc, copper, manganese, thiamine, niacin, potassium, B6, etc. Yep, no micronutrients there.

For the calories they cost - I'm not that impressed!

But then bread, rice, past = junk food.

Don't get me wrong I like bread, pasta and rice - They just (for me) don't get same micro nutrient to calorie 'vegetable statues'

Yet they are consumed in abundance by the longest living and healthiest populations in the world.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Most populations historically have reason to eat foods that largely serve to make sure that we get enough calories. We (in the modern post industrial world, especially the US where many people drive everywhere) are mostly weird because we have tons of food available and a largely sedentary population.

People who aren't sedentary probably do well, on average, including some of the foods that serve mostly to provide energy, although we have the luxury not to have to given all else that is available, I suppose, if we don't want to. Doesn't make us healthier, though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Selenium, zinc, copper, manganese, thiamine, niacin, potassium, B6, etc. Yep, no micronutrients there.

Don't get me wrong I like bread, pasta and rice - They just (for me) don't get same micro nutrient to calorie 'vegetable statues'

But we only need so many micronutrients and some are harmful if you get too much. Calories are also important as are macronutrients. Judging food as 'junk' based solely on micronutrient to calorie ratio doesn't make much sense to me.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus
    The armies ran on bread (wheat) not gruel (oats). The emperors lived and died on the grain trade.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus
    The armies ran on bread (wheat) not gruel (oats). The emperors lived and died on the grain trade.

ok... Good for them.
    Most civilizations had what their environment gave them to sustain them. And that depended on geography and the level of advancement of civilization.

I fail to see what this has to do with the thread. But knowledge of history isn't usually knowledge wasted, so whatever.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

But we only need so many micronutrients and some are harmful if you get too much. Calories are also important as are macronutrients. Judging food as 'junk' based solely on micronutrient to calorie ratio doesn't make much sense to me.

Not sure why it doesn't make much sense!

It's important to get sufficient micro nutrients, if you ate all of your carb calories from just chocolate (for argument sake) it's likely you won't hit your micro nutrient target.

Therefore whats wrong with defining food into groups. I'm not saying Junk food is unhealthy because in moderation junk isn't unhealthy - but its not particularly healthy either.

Also society came up with the term junk, not me. I just happen to like using it though!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's important to get sufficient micro nutrients, if you ate all of your carb calories from just chocolate (for argument sake) it's likely you won't hit your micro nutrient target.

Therefore whats wrong with defining food into groups. I'm not saying Junk food is unhealthy because in moderation junk isn't unhealthy - but its not particularly healthy either.

Also society came up with the term junk, not me. I just happen to like using it though!

But if you ate all of your carb calories in broccoli (a food conventionally considered healthy) wouldn't you also be missing out on important micro nutrients? Does that make broccoli junk or is there some other quantifier involved?

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

But if you ate all of your carb calories in broccoli (a food conventionally considered healthy) wouldn't you also be missing out on important micro nutrients? Does that make broccoli junk or is there some other quantifier involved?

That's a good point, maybe into the equation we should add satiety! I'm pretty sure I would have had my fill of broccoli before I reached my calorie target. The same couldn't be said for chocolate or pasta or bread!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me was drastically reducing the amount of sweet/sugary foods in my diet, including products with added sugar. In other words, a diet high in fiber from fresh fruits/vegetables/legumes, moderate amounts of diary/meats/fats, but very low added sugars (ie. white bread with added sugar, candies, pastries, donuts, etc.). I cook for myself a lot too and eat off of a small size plate with regular raw fruits and fruit smoothies as snacks in between or for dessert. Eat this way for at least a month and your cravings will go away. Food becomes less of an obsession in my mind too. Now I just eat what I like whenever I want but since I don't crave the sweet added sugary stuff anymore, I don't really buy it or eat it very much either. But when I do have some, I opt for a small slice or piece and am fully content with it!
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    oh mee to i am addicted to carbs :( sweets, cake :neutral_face:
    I don't know how to replace them it is in our meals all ones!
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I do keto. Zero carb cravings.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I do keto. Zero carb cravings.

I second that!
    But I do have cravings...for bacon.
    I know you didn't see that coming. :wink: