5:2 Diet

Options

Replies

• Hbhappygirl
    Hbhappygirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5:2 ROCKS. I have done it for over a year, lost over 40 pounds, am now my ideal weight, and am now switching to the 6:1 to maintain. It is easy to stick to because you don't have to worry much for the other 5 days of the week. You also don't need to count carbs on your non fast days. I am living proof that it works. I have been on every diet known to humankind. This is the only one that is a true lifestyle change that you can do forever.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    5:2 ROCKS. I have done it for over a year, lost over 40 pounds, am now my ideal weight, and am now switching to the 6:1 to maintain. It is easy to stick to because you don't have to worry much for the other 5 days of the week. You also don't need to count carbs on your non fast days. I am living proof that it works. I have been on every diet known to humankind. This is the only one that is a true lifestyle change for methat I can do forever.
    FIFY

• fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    5:2 ROCKS. I have done it for over a year, lost over 40 pounds, am now my ideal weight, and am now switching to the 6:1 to maintain. It is easy to stick to because you don't have to worry much for the other 5 days of the week. You also don't need to count carbs on your non fast days. I am living proof that it works. I have been on every diet known to humankind. This is the only one that is a true lifestyle change for me that I can do forever.
    FIFY

Yep. Fixed the spacing for you too.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    5:2 ROCKS. I have done it for over a year, lost over 40 pounds, am now my ideal weight, and am now switching to the 6:1 to maintain. It is easy to stick to because you don't have to worry much for the other 5 days of the week. You also don't need to count carbs on your non fast days. I am living proof that it works. I have been on every diet known to humankind. This is the only one that is a true lifestyle change for me that I can do forever.
    FIFY

FIFY

:blush: serves me right for trying to be a smart *kitten*! :wink:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dayone987 wrote: »

I get that some people find 5:2 works for them, but I wonder about their capacity to be fully functioning on fast days. I work in health care and being hungry most of the day would make it more likely for errors to occur. I certainly wouldn't want to have surgery done by a doc that is on his/her fast day.

Believe it or not, save for adjustment period fast days really have no negative effect on performance. It's just a mild empty stomach feeling, the kind you feel when your meal time is close. With that said, the time you have your meal can also be flexible. Many people, including doctors, skip breakfast and do their work just fine. But if it's an issue, you could have two 250 carefully planned and satiating meals during the time you would be working and not feel hunger at all.
    I agree, and I think the studies Varady and others have done have found that fast days have no effect on much, performance-wise. Many people find they feel more alert and light on their feet on day's with low intake, vs. more lethargic on heavier eating days. It's not surgery but I have no trouble teaching college on a fast day.

I honestly think I'd rather have a fasted surgeon than one that had a Supersize McD meal an hour before, after seeing people who doze off in their offices every afternoon. ;)

I don't mean this to sound dismissive but I think we as a society overestimate our need for frequent meals. It's probably due to the abundance of food we've always had at arm's reach.

Hmm,to me, that empty stomach feeling is a signal that my body needs food. If I'm at home not doing much it's not a big deal to just get through it, but when I'm working and need to make decisions and perform certain skills that impact patients, I'd rather not be in that state.

As there are options between a Supersize meal and not eating, I'd prefer a surgeon that has eaten a balance meal.

Just because someone feels lighter and more alert, doesn't necessarily mean that their performance is actually better.

I'd be interested to see Varady's studies re:performance. Some information my Google "research" turned up (Note: I do realize Ramadan isn't 5:2 and it's not a highly controlled study but the n is large. I don't think there are a lot of controlled human studies done.)

One study:
    Abstract
    Background: The study examined the effects of dietary fasting on physical balance among young healthy women.
    Methods: This study undertaken involving 22 young healthy women (age = 22 ± 1.5) using a within subject
    counterbalanced 2-week crossover study design. Participants were asked to refrain from consuming any food or
    beverage for 12 hours prior to the fasting trial and to maintain their regular diet for the non-fasting trial. Measures
    included: a background questionnaire, 24-hour dietary recall, and functional reach and timed single-limb stances.
    Results: Fasting resulted in significant declines in functional reach (p < 0.01), and ability to balance in a single limb
    stance with eyes open, on both the dominant and non-dominant legs (p < 0.01 and p < 0.01, respectively), and with
    eyes closed on the dominant leg (p < 0.01).
    Conclusions: The findings have implications for athletic performance in younger individuals as well as emphasizing
    the need for health education for young women to avoid skipping meals.
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-18.pdf

(Cut and paste from Aragon)
    Ramadan is considered by practicing Muslims to be the most important period of religious observation in the Islamic calendar. In its strictest version, a complete food and fluid fast is undergone from sunrise to sunset (12-16 hours). This routine is carried out daily for a month. Unsurprisingly, traffic accidents peak during this time, alongside a reduction in working hours [32]. Traffic injuries are the second major cause of death in the United Arab Emirates, with the bulk of the accidents occurring between 8am and 2pm [33]. Research consistently shows a decrease in daytime alertness, mood, and wakefulness during the fasting month of Ramadan [32-35]. Physical performance – speed, agility, and endurance declined in professional soccer players observing Ramadan [36]. Their performance remained low for two weeks post-Ramadan.
    http://www.ironmagazine.com/2011/an-objective-look-at-intermittent-fasting/

Anyway, if it's working for you, that's great. I've always wondered what type of work the people that do 5:2 do. Days that I'm teaching in the classroom I could probably manage with less food, but in the clinical area where there is more physical effort, more information to process and more decisions to make, I don't think it would work well at all.

Ramadan is vastly different from IF and the difference here is very important: no liquids for 12 hours or more during the day no matter how physical your job is, how hot it is, or how much you've exercised. Thirst is a much stronger signal in the body than hunger, since food energy can be readily replaced by an alternative source, but the alternative water sources in the body are limited.

People who haven't tried it are just afraid of hunger, and that's understandable as humans, but really.. the feeling is mild, you think of it for a moment and move on. Even in that case, you can arrange your meals in a way to barely feel it or eliminate it completely during your productivity period.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I get that some people find 5:2 works for them, but I wonder about their capacity to be fully functioning on fast days. I work in health care and being hungry most of the day would make it more likely for errors to occur. I certainly wouldn't want to have surgery done by a doc that is on his/her fast day.

Believe it or not, save for adjustment period fast days really have no negative effect on performance. It's just a mild empty stomach feeling, the kind you feel when your meal time is close. With that said, the time you have your meal can also be flexible. Many people, including doctors, skip breakfast and do their work just fine. But if it's an issue, you could have two 250 carefully planned and satiating meals during the time you would be working and not feel hunger at all.
    I agree, and I think the studies Varady and others have done have found that fast days have no effect on much, performance-wise. Many people find they feel more alert and light on their feet on day's with low intake, vs. more lethargic on heavier eating days. It's not surgery but I have no trouble teaching college on a fast day.

I honestly think I'd rather have a fasted surgeon than one that had a Supersize McD meal an hour before, after seeing people who doze off in their offices every afternoon. ;)

I don't mean this to sound dismissive but I think we as a society overestimate our need for frequent meals. It's probably due to the abundance of food we've always had at arm's reach.

Hmm,to me, that empty stomach feeling is a signal that my body needs food. If I'm at home not doing much it's not a big deal to just get through it, but when I'm working and need to make decisions and perform certain skills that impact patients, I'd rather not be in that state.

As there are options between a Supersize meal and not eating, I'd prefer a surgeon that has eaten a balance meal.

Just because someone feels lighter and more alert, doesn't necessarily mean that their performance is actually better.

I'd be interested to see Varady's studies re:performance. Some information my Google "research" turned up (Note: I do realize Ramadan isn't 5:2 and it's not a highly controlled study but the n is large. I don't think there are a lot of controlled human studies done.)

One study:
    Abstract
    Background: The study examined the effects of dietary fasting on physical balance among young healthy women.
    Methods: This study undertaken involving 22 young healthy women (age = 22 ± 1.5) using a within subject
    counterbalanced 2-week crossover study design. Participants were asked to refrain from consuming any food or
    beverage for 12 hours prior to the fasting trial and to maintain their regular diet for the non-fasting trial. Measures
    included: a background questionnaire, 24-hour dietary recall, and functional reach and timed single-limb stances.
    Results: Fasting resulted in significant declines in functional reach (p < 0.01), and ability to balance in a single limb
    stance with eyes open, on both the dominant and non-dominant legs (p < 0.01 and p < 0.01, respectively), and with
    Conclusions: The findings have implications for athletic performance in younger individuals as well as emphasizing

Ramadan is considered by practicing Muslims to be the most important period of religious observation in the Islamic calendar. In its strictest version, a complete food and fluid fast is undergone from sunrise to sunset (12-16 hours). This routine is carried out daily for a month. Unsurprisingly, traffic accidents peak during this time, alongside a reduction in working hours [32]. Traffic injuries are the second major cause of death in the United Arab Emirates, with the bulk of the accidents occurring between 8am and 2pm [33]. Research consistently shows a decrease in daytime alertness, mood, and wakefulness during the fasting month of Ramadan [32-35]. Physical performance – speed, agility, and endurance declined in professional soccer players observing Ramadan [36]. Their performance remained low for two weeks post-Ramadan.

Anyway, if it's working for you, that's great. I've always wondered what type of work the people that do 5:2 do. Days that I'm teaching in the classroom I could probably manage with less food, but in the clinical area where there is more physical effort, more information to process and more decisions to make, I don't think it would work well at all.

Ramadan is vastly different from IF and the difference here is very important: no liquids for 12 hours or more during the day no matter how physical your job is, how hot it is, or how much you've exercised. Thirst is a much stronger signal in the body than hunger, since food energy can be readily replaced by an alternative source, but the alternative water sources in the body are limited.

People who haven't tried it are just afraid of hunger, and that's understandable as humans, but really.. the feeling is mild, you think of it for a moment and move on. Even in that case, you can arrange your meals in a way to barely feel it or eliminate it completely during your productivity period.

I've tried it. I'm not afraid of hunger, I'm afraid of headaches, vision problems, and passing out at work.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

One study:
    Abstract

I've tried it. I'm not afraid of hunger, I'm afraid of headaches, vision problems, and passing out at work.

If that's you, see a doctor.
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out - doesnt matter when you eat them, unless you are trying to tinker with the slightest minutia and are at mega low BF%'s. This all sounds like people have no ay to day will power - and if that's the case - the Eating days will wipe out the Fasting days - and hormones will go down the pan! But enjoy the fun of trying.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's why I don't go blind and pass out when I skip a meal... My hormones went "down the pan". :\ (From eating at maintenance, no less.)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

One study:
    Abstract

Definitely. Unless someone is just invoking hyperbole for fun and fud.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out - doesnt matter when you eat them, unless you are trying to tinker with the slightest minutia and are at mega low BF%'s. This all sounds like people have no ay to day will power - and if that's the case - the Eating days will wipe out the Fasting days - and hormones will go down the pan! But enjoy the fun of trying.

Did you even read the thread?

There's a woman doing spreadsheets, another who knows her % of weekly deficit just arranged differently to the traditional notion of CICO.... another who talks about learning maintenance and others who have researched to ensure they aren't doing themselves harm. There are people from 5:2 who have discussed and warned of too low calories and too higher calories. Those on 5:2 would also be the first to say stop to those affected by fasting. No hesitation.

Yet to arrive are those who have used IF inc the 5:2 as part of their bulk and cut program. This your "slightest minutia and are at mega low BF%'s".

There's burgers which means people aren't labelling food sources good or bad.

These people are still ENGAGED with their health and the idea of lifelong adherence just as much as those who moderate daily. Your easy is not our easy and vice versa.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    but, but, willpower, and minutia!

lol, strong second post. lol.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    First off, Teabea, I'm sorry I didn't see that you were criticizing another post about VLCD. I quoted your incorrect quote:P So much for "reading before posting" facepalm...

(...)

One study:
    Abstract

Secondly, a study of 22 women during ramadan would hardly support theorizing about the effects of IF within a general population. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right. You seem like an intelligent person. But to use the study you quoted as support for your belief is somewhat arbitrary and could be misleading information for some people. One of the classic mistakes in statistics is to draw a conclusion from a sample of data and believing that conclusion will apply for a bigger population. Although the conclusion might be correct for the original sample data. If you're interested:
    http://www.statisticsdonewrong.com/

As amusedmonkey pointed out, there are variables in ramadan fasting that probably won't apply for most people who diet on IF protocols. Sleep is one of those variables. I don't gorge myself on foods at night when I should be sleeping. Changing the natural circadian rythm of sleep, has shown to affect mental capabilities as well. I would think it's unnecessary to provide blind, randomized peer reviews for this claim. Ask any night shifter how well their brain functions at the end of their shift. Not to mention what sleep deprivation does to you....

My point is that claiming IF is bad for brain function is just that...a claim.
    Personally I feel better than ever. I'm loosing 1kg/week, have passed a theory exam in basic anatomy and physiology, I'm reaching new levels of personal records almost at weekly basis in the athletic performance. Is my N=1 true for everyone else ?...maybe not. But as long as I'm getting the results I'm getting, I really don't use too much energy on what works for "everybody else". I do ME and that's sufficient :)

TRIAL AND ERROR FTW

Edit: included the sentence "Not to mention what sleep deprivation does to you..." and my motto at the end.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I racewalked 10.7 miles, and did my fastest time, last week on a fast day (real fast day: i.e. no food). I suffer no ill effects from a full day of fasting.

Once you become accustomed to longer periods of deprivation, a perfectly normal, healthy state, your body adapts just fine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I work as an accountant. I find my level of focus is great on fast days, and I know I can through a mountain of work on those days. I can also fit in some exercise with no great issues.

But to re-iterate - everyone is different, and it's dangerous to generalise.

Oh, and I actually LOLed at Sand Shovellers post.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Another n=1 anecdotal

I tend to have my best and longest workouts on fasting days, and as a translator I haven't noticed any decline in my output. If anything, I tend to work faster.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

One study:
    Abstract

Definitely. Unless someone is just invoking hyperbole for fun and fud.

Why? I know what causes it. Going too long without eating. It happens to hypoglycemics all the time. Why do I need to see a doctor about that when I know what causes it and how to fix it? I just think it's absurd to say everyone who doesn't do well with fasting is
    "afraid of hunger." It seems a bit hypocritical for you to criticize those people, when your mantra is supposedly "do what works for you."

• fatcity66
    Options
    Maybe that's why I don't go blind and pass out when I skip a meal... My hormones went "down the pan". :\ (From eating at maintenance, no less.)

I'm not talking about "skipping a meal." I'm talking about going 8-12 hours without eating, while having to be active, and thinking (at work). It doesn't work for me. And also, you, or someone else implied I must "have no willpower." If that were true, would I have lost over 35 lbs (20 since joining MFP) just by reducing calories, yet not restricting any food groups? Look at my diary if you care to. I do very rarely get hungry. I call that success.

• LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Honestly? It's another fad diet which doesn't teach good long term eating habits.

I agree.

A woman who sits next to me at work talks about her 5:2 all the time.

It's far, far healthier to have a standard daily intake to either reduce weight or to maintain.
    This has been proved over and over again
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I'm not talking about "skipping a meal." I'm talking about going 8-12 hours without eating, while having to be active, and thinking (at work). It doesn't work for me. And also, you, or someone else implied I must "have no willpower." If that were true, would I have lost over 35 lbs (20 since joining MFP) just by reducing calories, yet not restricting any food groups? Look at my diary if you care to. I do very rarely get hungry. I call that success.
    Your case is a legitimate medical condition where fasting may not be preferred, but that reply was to another poster who showed no understanding to what IF really is.