Body Shaming - Your Views/Opinions and Experiences

Options
NikkiLouise15
NikkiLouise15 Posts: 67 Member
Hi everybody,

For those of you that are not my friends here is my recent status update.

am beyond tired... BEYOND! on another note please Google Myla Dalbesio, she is Calvin Kleins new PLUS SIZE model I repeat PLUS SIZE. Oh Em Gee if she is plus size then I must be a XXXL. Some people on social media are slamming her for being FAT :( I am sooo over this body shaming. Too thin or too fat - body shaming is NOT cool. Body shaming in the media is partly to blame for my own insecurites, I worry for my son and any other future children I may have that they will never feel good enough unless they are starving themselves or pumping themselves with steroids to achieve what we now portray as 'beautiful'. RANT OVER!

Are any of you suffering from huge insecurities? Is the media to blame? What is 'normal' nowadays? Is a (UK) size 14 fat?

Discuss

Replies

• magnum26
    magnum26 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Size 14 is not fat, I believe it's actually the UK average atm.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I've experienced skinny shaming much more than fat shaming.
  • NikkiLouise15
    NikkiLouise15 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I've experienced skinny shaming much more than fat shaming.

Any body shaming is wrong and I am no angel - I have found myself saying "shes far too thin" I hate all of it
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7 a uk size 14 and I def feel fat. I am still classed as overweight.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Some people called me skeletal when I was nearly overweight by BMI :|
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    UK size 14 is fat on a short person, people just don't think it is because it's so common nowadays..and the UK average size is 16 which is even worse and has given people an excuse to be fat because, well...it's 'average'
  • FloyMcCaudie
    FloyMcCaudie Posts: 1,132
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ikr. You dont have right to comment on anyone's body! You should feel ashamed for doing so if you do it! If you cant bring out positive vibes, dont bring out negative one neither. Try motivating them instead of bring them down..

-youtubes Myla Delbesio, comments "you are a fat fawkin looser *kitten*, Get off the ramp and let the skinny chicks walk by"-
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    14 UK is 10 US, right? As with anything, whether that is overweight or not depends on height. If you're 5'7", that sounds like a perfectly healthy size. If you're 5'1", that's probably a bit on the hefty side. This model certainly shouldn't be considered "plus size," but she is compared to the other models. Sucks, but that's the way the fashion/modeling industry is and probably always will be. Remember the Dove ads with women of all shapes and sizes? There was a lot of backlash when that ad came out and the commercials didn't last long because people complained that they didn't want to see that.

It's arbitrary evidence, but when I was 15 or 16, my brother-in-law (my sister's husband's brother) thought it was funny to call me fat and even said I looked like a beach ball. Keep in mind that I was 5'4" 160 lbs. Overweight, yes, but nowhere near "beach ball" status. I found out later that he was dating a girl that was 300+ lbs. It seems that skinny white boys calling women fat are the first ones to end up in bed with an overweight woman. Interesting.

It's just human nature, even if it's not fair. I'm willing to bet we're all guilty of making comments about other people's bodies, whether we admit it or not. Is it okay? No. But it's not going to change. I found developing thicker skin helped me - just stop caring about what other people think of you. And be more aware of the things you say about others. It's a lot easier to change your mindset and behavior than to change other people's behavior. In fact, it's nearly impossible to accomplish the latter. C'est la vie.
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I was a UK size 14 (before I started MFP properly) I FELT incredibly fat and what really shocked me was that my BMI was classed as overweight, I'm 5'6". So I would have classed myself as fat but none of my friends or family would ever have classed me as 'fat', they tell me now that they never saw me as fat!

I am a UK size 10 now, I have a healthy BMI and I feel incredible. I used to compare myself to a lot of thin celebrities (Alexa Chung was a particular fave) and get very upset that I didn't have a body like theirs and although my body at the moment is far from perfect, yes I wish my legs were thinner...longer, I no longer have even nearly the amount the insecurities I once had when I felt big because I have reached a point where I am finally happy with myself and body.

I think that honestly being 'fat' is a personal view, it's whether you FEEL fat and what you believe being 'fat' is.

I do think actual body shaming is awful in general, tabloids printing celebrities who have gained weight/lost weight/in bikinis does not help anyone, women always seem to be told they're 'too fat', 'too thin', 'lost too much weight', 'wear too much make up' it simply makes everyone insecure about their bodies.
  • lydiamather1
    lydiamather1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Skinny shaming is just as bad as fat shaming. There were girls in high school who all the guys would tease and joke about her being the size of a whale and that she eats too much. She was probably a size 0 and the guys just thought it was funny because everyone knew none of it was true, but it really bothered her sometimes. I've always been bigger, I'm 5'9" and a size 14. If anyone has heard the song "All about that bass" then they know it's about calling bigger women beautiful, so naturally I liked it. It wasn't until later that I realized that it was also skinny shaming and sending a misleading message to young girls about loving their body because guys like it. Here is a great cover that I think sends a positive message to everyone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVyJL8UM6mI&safe=active
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Why do you care what other people think?

+1 ^ . To be happy and confident, ya'll just worry about what YOU think about yourselves. Someones always going to have something to say. B)
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I care a lot about what people say when it's public bullying and shaming. You sit in front of your TV and criticize this or that celebrity and that's on you. But putting it out in the world makes it a bigger social issue, in which people begin to think with a mob mentality and group individuals into "sets" that can be guiltlessly discriminated against. What seems like a small injury to one person can build up in society until crimes against groups of people become OK because they're "inferior."
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Not speaking up gives the impression that no one objects, and the behavior continues unabated.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Whatever he thinks about others - he really thinks a lot of himself!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone is to blame, but when I was growing up I knew boys that were insecure about their size. I don't know that it was all bad if it led them to weight training and fitness. I also knew girls that were concerned with their weight/looks. I know I felt like I didn't measure up.

There are mixed messages nowadays, with every body is fine and we have to be concerned about the outliers for health reasons.

The companies can call whatever size they want, plus size. She definitely isn't fat.

I don't want to be normal. I want to be healthy at whatever weight. My target is a healthy bmi. I will reevaluate when I get closer.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    I'm super over body shaming shaming. Guess what? You're too fat. Guess what? You're too thin. Just because you're average doesn't mean you're healthy. People will take any words and any situation and twist them to suit their own ideals. Myla is plus sized compared to the other models of that brand (and the sizes they offer). No thigh gap? Check. You're hired. "Oh but what about the influence on girls?" Be a bigger influence to your kids than the media and major corporations are and that's not an issue.

What constitutes "plus size" anyhow? Anything over a 10? 12?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    People that are easily offended, are easily controlled.

wow...I've never thought of it that way.